YourMomsBox!
Please let it be true this time! - Printable Version

+- YourMomsBox! (https://www.cdih.net/ymb)
+-- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.cdih.net/ymb/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topical (https://www.cdih.net/ymb/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Please let it be true this time! (/showthread.php?tid=914)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Please let it be true this time! - Silera - 07-23-2003

I don't remember the liberation of Iraqi's being the selling point on this war.

Nazi war criminals were tried for their actions during the war. I was refering to the possibility of not acting like cowboys in this situation, and maybe attempting to slightly resemble a civilized and great nation.

Please let it be true this time! - Flock of Moosen - 07-23-2003

Quote:Originally posted by Silera

Nazi war criminals were tried for their actions during the war. I was refering to the possibility of not acting like cowboys in this situation, and maybe attempting to slightly resemble a civilized and great nation.
Well, it wasn't the main reason and many will argue it wasn't a reason at all. As far as I'm concerned it was to find these WMD's and the liberation part was a "bonus" so to speak.

As for the great nation comment, it's kind of hard to look that way when you have the village idiot running the show. Wink

Please let it be true this time! - Crackle - 07-23-2003

Gee, I thought we went in to fight terrorism.

Please let it be true this time! - The Brain - 07-23-2003

Actually, the liberation of Iraq, Kuwait, and the remainder of the Middle East from under the Hussein tyranny <i>was</i> a selling point for the war. It was acknowleged that he was a continuing threat to the entire region.

But you are right; it was not the primary reason given.

As for your Nazi comment, as despicable as they were, they engaged in the standard art of war (except in the case of the Holocaust, but that wasn't military in nature).

Right now we are in a war against a cowardly group that hides behind innocent people and use them as human shields.

We tried to fight cleanly against a guerilla group before. Remember that? It was the last time we essentially <i>lost</i> a major military engagement. If we wish to protect this country-- the civilization you value so much-- against those who use savagery, then it may just be necessary to use their style and tactics against them.

Please let it be true this time! - Silera - 07-24-2003

Point taken, but the war is supposedly over.

Please let it be true this time! - The Brain - 07-24-2003

Point taken, <b>but the war is supposedly over</b>.
Ah... you haven't listened to them very carefully. <i>Major combat operations</i> have ended, not the war. If Gulf War 2 was officially over, then all members of Saddam's Baath party who the U.S. has captured so far would have to be released.

<b>Sidenote</b>: The reason we can still hold all those Afghanistan prisoners over there in Cuba, in case you're wondering, is because we never actually declared war on Afghanistan-- only the entity known as Al-Qaeda, which was being harbored in the country, and the ruling Taliban party, who were the ones harboring them. And in rules of engagement, they are not considered a true army (and anyone caught is not a P.O.W.-- so our treatment of them is not governed by the Geneva Convention laws).

Yeah, it's all semantics, I know. But we are still very much a nation at war. Perhaps it merely doesn't feel that way since actual combat has been so lopsided. But the war will not actually end until the death or capture of the enemy leader (in this case, Saddam) has been assured.

Please let it be true this time! - Flock of Moosen - 07-24-2003

Quote:Originally posted by The Brain
Point taken, <b>but the war is supposedly over</b>.
Ah... you haven't listened to them very carefully. <i>Major combat operations</i> have ended, not the war. If Gulf War 2 was officially over, then all members of Saddam's Baath party who the U.S. has captured so far would have to be released.

<b>Sidenote</b>: The reason we can still hold all those Afghanistan prisoners over there in Cuba, in case you're wondering, is because we never actually declared war on Afghanistan-- only the entity known as Al-Qaeda, which was being harbored in the country, and the ruling Taliban party, who were the ones harboring them. And in rules of engagement, they are not considered a true army (and anyone caught is not a P.O.W.-- so our treatment of them is not governed by the Geneva Convention laws).

Yeah, it's all semantics, I know. But we are still very much a nation at war. Perhaps it merely doesn't feel that way since actual combat has been so lopsided. But the war will not actually end until the death or capture of the enemy leader (in this case, Saddam) has been assured.

He's not called The Brain for nothing folks. :nod:

As far as your last sentence goes Brain, it better not come to a capture situation. You leave him alive and I assure you somewhere, somehow he will find his way back into power.
If and when we actually find him, we better take him out.

Please let it be true this time! - Silera - 07-24-2003

I suppose this event, and the death of Saddam Hussein when it happens, will be welcomed to those that supported the war.

I don't care whether they are dead or alive. I wasn't convinced this war was necessary to begin with and I have yet to be convinced that the outcome has somehow made me safer.

That Iraqi is liberated and a vicious ruler has been removed is nice, but it has about as much to do with my safety as the price of tea in china does.

The contradiction between our action in Iraq and our lack of action in Liberia further instill the deep sense of distrust that I have for the motives behind our war. I am not of the opinion that the means justify the ends, and because of that, I do not feel victorious or excited by this. I simply feel like this will come back to bite us in the ass, as have most of our actions abroad for the better half of a century.

BTW: It's really refreshing have an adult discussion.

Please let it be true this time! - FollowThisLogic - 07-24-2003

Poopyface!!

:grin2:

Never mind, carry on.

Please let it be true this time! - Rooner - 07-24-2003

I suppose this event, and the death of Saddam Hussein when it happens, will be welcomed to those that supported the war.

I don't care whether they are dead or alive. I wasn't convinced this war was necessary to begin with and I have yet to be convinced that the outcome has somehow made me safer.

That Iraqi is liberated and a vicious ruler has been removed is nice, but it has about as much to do with my safety as the price of tea in china does.

The contradiction between our action in Iraq and our lack of action in Liberia further instill the deep sense of distrust that I have for the motives behind our war. I am not of the opinion that the means justify the ends, and because of that, I do not feel victorious or excited by this. I simply feel like this will come back to bite us in the ass, as have most of our actions abroad for the better half of a century.

You dont think just leaving him be over there would eventually come back to bite us in the ass? He would of just played with his toys in the sand? I think this war and the talking down of Saddams regime was meant to be more of a symbolic event anyway. I think it was our countrys way of saying, "Hey you terrorist fucks, this guy was a world leader actually respected by a few countries, and look what we did to him. We went against the whole world with this war just to protect our people and prove a point. What do you think we are going to do to your little insignificant asses?"