YourMomsBox!
Advice on vices - Printable Version

+- YourMomsBox! (https://www.cdih.net/ymb)
+-- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.cdih.net/ymb/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Silera's Box (https://www.cdih.net/ymb/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Advice on vices (/showthread.php?tid=1254)

Pages: 1 2

Advice on vices - Suzie - 08-26-2003

Due to poor judgement and my addictive personality, I have recently quit drinking. (If anyone saw me at the last Bar 9 you know why.) Or at least I decided to take a few months off to be "sober" (undrunk anyway).
Now my boss wants to go out for drinks after work today, and I said yes. BTW, not in a shady way, he's a cool guy, we've hung before, even smoked together at the Dead show. But I feel like I'd rather have a drink or two than explain to him why I'm not drinking. You can't just say, "I quit" without people wanting to know the embarrassing story behind it. Is that weird?

Advice on vices - Rooner - 08-26-2003

Quote:Originally posted by Suzie
Due to poor judgement and my addictive personality, I have recently quit drinking. (If anyone saw me at the last Bar 9 you know why.) Or at least I decided to take a few months off to be \"sober\" (undrunk anyway).
Now my boss wants to go out for drinks after work today, and I said yes. BTW, not in a shady way, he's a cool guy, we've hung before, even smoked together at the Dead show. But I feel like I'd rather have a drink or two than explain to him why I'm not drinking. You can't just say, \"I quit\" without people wanting to know the embarrassing story behind it. Is that weird?

Whats wrong with saying you just decided to refrain from drinking for a little while, leave it at that?

Advice on vices - Sloats - 08-26-2003

This could be a good test for you:

Since it is your boss, you should limit yourself to two drinks. Go out and see if you can stop at 2. If you can't, especially with the pressure of being with your boss, SEEK HELP and not excuses. Saying you have an addictive personality does nothing more than provide yourself with an excuse to get trashed everytime you drink.

Advice on vices - Suzie - 08-26-2003

I like this idea. I will have just 2 drinks, and drink them slowly.
I don't mean for the addictive personality to be my excuse, it's just my way of defining my problem with lack of self-control.

Advice on vices - 60FeetUnderWater - 08-26-2003

If you truely care not to drink Suzie, then DON'T. Nothing should be wrong with you telling your boss that either. Just order some Shirley Temples or whatever non-alcoholic beverage that suits your fancy and do yo' thang as if you were drinking "a drink".

Advice on vices - Grumpy - 08-26-2003

if you really want to avoid drinking but still spend time with him hanging out, just tell you can't drink because you're on medication (a strong antibiotic like Cipro) and you CAN'T drink. I'm sure he'll understand. if he pulls a "oh come on, one drink won't hurt" on you, then you may want to reconsider hanging out with him. He's willing to put your health at risk.

Advice on vices - KensPen - 08-26-2003

If you plan on drinking again,
then I strongly urge the use of restraint,
practice drinking without getting trashed.

Don't set yourself up to fail, if you say zero alcohol, then you failed the next time you drink,
just practice moderation.

Advice on vices - Ronin - 08-26-2003

Quote:Originally posted by Suzie
Due to poor judgement and my addictive personality, I have recently quit drinking. (If anyone saw me at the last Bar 9 you know why.) Or at least I decided to take a few months off to be \"sober\" (undrunk anyway).
Now my boss wants to go out for drinks after work today, and I said yes. BTW, not in a shady way, he's a cool guy, we've hung before, even smoked together at the Dead show. But I feel like I'd rather have a drink or two than explain to him why I'm not drinking. You can't just say, \"I quit\" without people wanting to know the embarrassing story behind it. Is that weird?

nobody likes a quitter.

Advice on vices - Drunken GW - 08-26-2003

thanx Ronin
i needed that laugh

Advice on vices - JimmyBlueEyes - 08-27-2003

Just take it easy. Go out, have non alcoholic drinks. If you do drink alcholic drinks, SET YOUR LIMITS!!! If you can't, then go get the help you may need. Learn how to moderate. That is the key to it all. Oh yeah and lay off the pot, too.