YourMomsBox!
Giants get Manning in Draft - Printable Version

+- YourMomsBox! (https://www.cdih.net/ymb)
+-- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.cdih.net/ymb/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Jock Itch (https://www.cdih.net/ymb/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Giants get Manning in Draft (/showthread.php?tid=3098)

Pages: 1 2

Giants get Manning in Draft - JimmyBlueEyes - 04-24-2004

Well well well...what to say about this?? Chargers picked him, then traded up for Philip Rivers.

Here's the story

NEW YORK -- It took a while before Eli Manning could truly enjoy draft day.

San Diego chose Manning to open Saturday's NFL draft, despite pleas from the quarterback and his family not to, then traded him to the New York Giants for Philip Rivers.

"I'm a lot happier now than I was 10 minutes ago," Manning said during a second news conference; his first came when he still belonged to the Chargers.

"We wanted a trade to happen. We never had favorite teams."

Manning and his family had requested that the Chargers not select the Mississippi quarterback, but San Diego made him the No. 1 overall pick. An hour later, after the Giants chose North Carolina State's Rivers, the deal was announced.

The Chargers get New York's third-round pick this year and the Giants' first and fifth-rounders in 2005 in addition to Rivers, whose stock soared after private workouts and interviews.

Manning joined brother Peyton, the NFL's co-MVP last season, and father Archie in being picked in the first two spots of a draft. Peyton went first overall in 1998 to Indianapolis, and Archie was the No. 2 pick in 1971 by New Orleans. They are the first family to have three players selected in the first round of the draft.

The crowd at Madison Square Garden booed lustily when Eli Manning's name was the first called by Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, and the quarterback held up a Chargers jersey and hat. They yelled just as loudly when the trade was announced.

"It is nothing new. I've heard boos before," Manning said. "I've been in a lot of stadiums where they've booed."

Manning even went back on stage after the trade to take photos holding up a Giants jersey. He was joined by Archie, Peyton and his mom, Olivia Manning.

Through Archie and agent Tom Condon, the Mannings told San Diego general manager A.J. Smith not to take Eli, and that Eli was prepared to sit out the season if they did choose him. The Mannings preferred New York, and got what they sought.

With the second pick, Oakland selected Iowa tackle Robert Gallery. Several teams, including the Giants and Browns, were eager to get Gallery, who is considered the best offensive line prospect since Orlando Pace went No. 1 overall to St. Louis in 1997.

"I am going in there to get a starting job and earn respect," he said. "I want to be a part of that legacy and end up in the same category" as Hall of Famers Art Shell and Gene Upshaw.

Arizona also did the expected at No. 3, taking wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who was eligible after his sophomore season because he attended prep school before going to Pitt. Fitzgerald was a ball boy for the Vikings when current Cardinals coach Dennis Green coached in Minnesota.

By acquiring Manning, the Giants might have signaled the end of Kerry Collins' stay in New York because he has only one year left on his contract at about $8 million.

Just before the Chargers-Giants trade was announced, Washington picking fifth took Miami safety Sean Taylor, who should be an instant starter.

Detroit traded the sixth overall spot to Cleveland, which moved up just one place and surrendered this year's second-round selection to get Miami tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. Browns coach Butch Davis recruited Winslow to the Hurricanes, and Winslow said going to Cleveland was "an ideal situation" for him.

Winslow is the son of Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow.

The Lions went for Texas wide receiver Roy Williams, who they will team with Charles Rogers, taken second overall last year. Williams' stock also rose significantly in the postseason.

Atlanta grabbed Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall, who is a buddy of former college teammate Michael Vick, the Falcons' starting quarterback. Hall says his NFL idol is Deion Sanders, who began his career with the Falcons.

Jacksonville surprisingly took Washington wide receiver Reggie Williams, who was projected to go in the middle of the round -- not in the top 10. But the Jaguars are weak at wideout.

The 10th pick was South Carolina cornerback Dunta Robinson, taken by Houston, which likely will move starting cornerback Marcus Coleman to safety.

Ben Roethlisberger of Miami of Ohio became the third quarterback chosen, going at No. 11 to Pittsburgh, which also had expressed interest in Rivers.

At No. 12, the Jets chose Miami (Fla.) Hurricanes linebacker Jonathan Vilma. The Buffalo Bills, with the 13th overall pick, followed by taking Wisconsin wide receiver Lee Williams.

Discuss...although I think Kerry is finished in NY after this season and Palmer will be number one with Manning as a back up if the Giants don't let Collins go before the season starts.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Suzie - 04-24-2004

WOOHOO!!!!
God Bless the NFL!!

ARE YOU READY FOT SOME FOOTBALL?
I'm fiendin!

Giants get Manning in Draft - The Brain - 04-24-2004

Quote:Originally posted by JimmyBlueEyes
Discuss...although I think Kerry is finished in NY after this season and Palmer will be number one with Manning as a back up if the Giants don't let Collins go before the season starts.
Does Collins have one year left on his contract, or more than that?

If it's one, I agree with you, it will be Collins this season, but Manning will be groomed for the following year.

No way do they let him play backup to "The Bachelor" if the job is open between just the two of them.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Flock of Moosen - 04-25-2004

Fuck Jesse Palmer! Groom Manning right of the bat with full intentions of him being the next starter. If by chance Palmer beats out Manning in spring training, then by all means make him the #2, but the Giants should go into this season fully expecting Eli to be Collins' #1 backup.
I can't stand these teams that spend millions upon millions only to have that player hold a clipboard. That money could be going to other position players and lord knows the Giants need some of those.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Hasegawa - 04-25-2004

I was at the Draft today...Giant fans suck, they booed Eli all day until he picked up that Giants jersey.....Christ you'd think Steve Phillips was the GM.

Falcons- NFC Champs.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Jimbo - 04-26-2004

i was at the draft as well. very happy with the jet's choices - especially being able to pick up strait in the 3rd round, was even hoping they'd somehow work a trade for a 2nd rounder to get him.

were you one of the lucky people who somehow got tickets mysteriously or like me standing in the angry mob outside the box office for about 6-7 hours???

Giants get Manning in Draft - Hasegawa - 04-26-2004

My friend got 2 free tickets from his aunt.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Jimbo - 04-27-2004

how? to my knowledge they never ever gave out tickets ahead of time.. until this year.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Hasegawa - 04-27-2004

Not sure. I'll let you know if I find out.

Giants get Manning in Draft - Rooner - 04-27-2004

Giants got raped in that trade.

Collins will be gone after June 1.

Skins will still stomp them.