Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And they say they don't try to buy championships
Well, it's obvious this argument would go back and forth forever. You have your opinions and have made good points, but even though you don't agree with mine, I feel my arguments and opinions are valid as well. In case you didn't read that last link I posted, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Hell, it even says Bud Selig, the commisioner himself, can't stand Steinbrenner and hates his business practice. Not in so many words, but it is implied.
I hope you at least agree with me on the fact that the sport of baseball is no longer about sport, but more about the almighty dollar as proven by Steinbrenner's spending habits. So much for the Great American Pasttime, huh. Rolleyes

Now, just to clear up one thing you said.
Quote:Originally posted by The Brain
Yes, the Tribune Company (who owns the Cubs), Disney (who owned the Angels), Hiroshi Yamauchi (president of Nintendo, who owns the Seattle Mariners), David Glass (former CEO of Wal-Mart, now owner of the Kansas City Royals)... yep, none of them, or the myriad other billionaires out there, have/had any money whatsoever to play with. None of them apparently have any cash to take on a shipping magnate who once spent a grand total of $10 million back in the early '70s to buy the Yankees from CBS.

In case you overlooked my post, I said
Quote: Sure, there are others in the league that have the bankroll of Steinbrenner. Those teams that don't pull off these trades that the Yankees do have absolutely no excuseand no right to complain, but others that can't play the bargaining game have every right to have a problem with the state of baseball today.

I do agree that there are others teams that can spend buck for buck with Steinbrenner. The fact they don't is their own fault and no one else's. Still, it doesn't change the fact that if you look around the league, you don't see any other teams with the lineup the Yankees have.

This wasn't merely an issue with the A-Rod deal, as it was more along the lines of the Yankees buying just about every damn superstar they throw money at. Guaranteed, if they wanted Bonds and Sosa tomorrow, they'd pull off the deal.
<center>[Image: FOM.jpg]</center>

Messages In This Thread
And they say they don\'t try to buy championships - by Flock of Moosen - 02-15-2004, 08:43 AM