Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And they say they don't try to buy championships
Quote:Originally posted by The Brain
Quote:I hope you at least agree with me on the fact that the sport of baseball is no longer about sport, but more about the almighty dollar as proven by Steinbrenner's spending habits. So much for the Great American Pasttime, huh.
In a era where even the Little League World Series is broadcast on primetime ESPN, with little 11-and 12-year olds mugging for the cameras, and the big boys are negotiating $4 <b>b</b>illion contracts with that network and ABC to televise their games, then no, I would have to say that the "sport" of baseball has been non-existent for a long time. But this would occur with or without Steinbrenner's presence in the game.

Hey, I knew if we kept this up long enough, we'd eventually agree on something. Smile
Look, I understand it's a business and all. I don't dispute that fact. All I'm saying is it's sad that it's all about the almighty dollar and not about the competition. Remember playing sports as a kid? I won't speak for anyone else, but I know damn well when I was growing up and playing I never thought to myself "Hey, if I get good enough at this sport I can make millions of dollars." It was all about having fun for me.
Also I don't solely blame Steinbrenner for this, but he is one of, if not the biggest, violator of a once great game.

Quote:Originally posted by Flock of Moosen
This is why I strongly believe a salary cap is needed in baseball. It would allow other teams who, no matter what anyone says, can't fully compete monetarily to have a chance each year. If the same team(s) still keeps winning when the salaries are evened out, then there would be no room for argument.
Make no mistake, I agree. It's not that I don't believe for one second these guys are vastly overpaid (they are), but I understand that in a multi-billion dollar entertainment business, the people who put the most fans in the seats will reap the most benefits. [/quote]
Wow, that's twice now. We better cut this out otherwise people may begin to talk. :wink:

Quote: But now I'll pose this to you: would such a parity really be all that desirable? A great deal has been made about the parity taking over the NFL, and how it has begun to breed mediocrity. Do we really want all the baseball teams hovering no more than 20 games above or below .500, with neither clear cut favorites nor also-rans? You can argue that it keeps everyone in contention for the playoffs, but what good is that if the teams are interchangeably mediocre?

See, this is where we have different tastes. I for one love to see new teams in the hunt every year. I got so bored watching the the Yankees, or the Lakers, or the 49ers and Cowboys winning every damn year. While you may consider a new team every year mediocrity, I consider it good, even competition. I love going into a new season not having a clue who is the team that has the best shot at winning a champioship, but before it was always "Can't wait to see yet another 49ers/Cowboys NFC Championship game again this year."

Let me just clear something up so you don't think is a solely bash the Yankees type deal because it's not. I would feel the same exact way about this situation if it were the Red Sox, the Braves, the Mariners, or the Giants doing this. It just so happens that George Steinbrenner and the Yankees do it far more than the other teams and at this point in time it is far out of control. Major League Baseball needs to get and hand on this and quickly before no one else has the slighest chance of competing because believe me if it keeps up Uncle George will have 9 All-Stars out in that field every game instead of the 5-6 he has now. Deny that all you want, but everyone knows it to be true.
<center>[Image: FOM.jpg]</center>

Messages In This Thread
And they say they don\'t try to buy championships - by Flock of Moosen - 02-16-2004, 01:44 AM