Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America's Biggest Threat
Is apparently the Big Mac.

Quote:The National Center for Health Statistics, which tracks 113 causes of death in the United States, reported that in the same year that nearly 3,000 people died in the Sept. 11 attacks, 43,788 died in motor vehicle accidents, 30,622 by suicide, 20,306 were murdered (including 11,348 by firearms), 14,078 died by accidental poisoning and 3,021 died as a result of complications from medical care. Another 700,000 Americans died of heart disease, the No. 1 killer, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, while 553,768 died of cancer and 32,238 died of blood poisoning.

Because of where we live, and the events of 9-11 obviously we're deeply affected by the decisions regarding national security and the course we take to address terrorism.

Americans in major cities have serious reason to be concerned, but does most of America? Maybe the frenzy over 9-11 is propelled equally by fear as it is by anger and revenge. However, I'm not sure that either of these motivations are going to be the fountain for a useful solution to the situation.

We keep being told we're under attack, and in the name of our safety, we have to sacrifice and accept certain realities of a "new" world. Is the world all that new and different now?

Full article
<center>[Image: ymbbox.jpg]
<font color=red><font size=3>KiSs My AsS</font></font></center>
So what are you trying to say?
&lt;img src=&quot;http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wilbraforce/sigs/headersig.jpg&quot;&gt;
She's saying stop worrying about a guy with a bomb and Stop shoving those 5 cheese burgers into your gullet.
&lt;center&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://scripts.cgispy.com/image.cgi?u=BlackLazerus2&quot;&gt;&lt;/center&gt;&lt;/b&gt;
Oh... Done and done.

I know I don't live in a major metropolitan area but my life hasn't changed since september 11th. I've always been slightly on edge about crazy shit happening. I don't let it control me though. I generally think it's silly when people that live in the middle nowhere get all excited about terrorism hitting them. Sure a plane slammed into Somerset Pa but what are the chances.
&lt;img src=&quot;http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wilbraforce/sigs/headersig.jpg&quot;&gt;
I think maybe our politicians are riding this terrorism threat for all they can get, and as much as I want a solution, I also am upset that other issues have come to a grinding halt.
<center>[Image: ymbbox.jpg]
<font color=red><font size=3>KiSs My AsS</font></font></center>
Of course they are riding the terrorism card. What better way to take away your civil liberties. In the name of Anti-Terrorism!!! Big Brother shall be watching! In order to protect you of course!
[Image: floydsig.jpg]
<marquee>We are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.</marquee>
'big brother' has always been there. September 11th made them put a name on it 'Patriot act' and then people really got a look at all of these civil liberties 'lost'. I'm not denying that any politicians on either side are riding the terrorism card. Regardless, it is a real threat everyday. And the fact that the focus on it is taking away from other issues is moreso a result of the media and the population in general. What's on the news when they aren't talking terror threats and war on terrorism? Laci Peterson, Kobe Bryant and Lori Hacking.
There's tons of news out there, watch the BBC news and you'd see all the stuff going on in the world. This country and the media is so completely self absorbed and focused on trivial bullshit or feeding the fears of this country, it's completely blind to the rest of the world.
[Image: floydsig.jpg]
<marquee>We are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.</marquee>
Quote:Originally posted by header
'big brother' has always been there. September 11th made them put a name on it 'Patriot act' and then people really got a look at all of these civil liberties 'lost'. I'm not denying that any politicians on either side are riding the terrorism card. Regardless, it is a real threat everyday. And the fact that the focus on it is taking away from other issues is moreso a result of the media and the population in general. What's on the news when they aren't talking terror threats and war on terrorism? Laci Peterson, Kobe Bryant and Lori Hacking.

I thought Michal Moore covered this in Bowling for Columbine.
&lt;center&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://scripts.cgispy.com/image.cgi?u=BlackLazerus2&quot;&gt;&lt;/center&gt;&lt;/b&gt;
Therein lies the problem. No one watches the BBC.

I understand the notion that there are other things to focus on aside from terrorism. I mean afterall as said earlier in this thread the amount of people killed by terrorism within the US borders is significantly smaller than other causes of death.

What's not mentioned is how harshly the events devastated our economy. You can say this administration or the prior administration destroyed the economy all you want. But the job loss and revenue loss created by the terrorist attacks is noteworthy.

Therefore, terrorism is a serious topic to focus on in the scheme of things. Still agreeing that it shouldn't overshadow other issues.