Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leetch an Edmonton Oiler?
So Rangers fans, if this trade goes through what do you think about it.

My wife is a Rangers fans and she is really pissed after hearing about it. As a Devils fan myself I can say even though he is getting up there in age, he is one of the only decent team players you guys have. Sure, you have a bunch of talented stars, but they don't know shit about playing as a team. At least with Leetch he knows that it takes all 5 guys out on that ice to make it work, not just one superstar.

Anyway, here is the story. Keep in mind, this is not a done deal yet.

Quote:Rangers trade Leetch to Edmonton

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Rangers traded the rights to free agent Brian Leetch to the Edmonton Oilers after being unable to sign the defenseman before the Monday midnight deadline. But it could be a temporary trade.

The Oilers sent backup goaltender Jussi Markkanen and a fourth-round draft pick to New York.

Leetch has been a cornerstone of the Rangers' defense since joining the team after the 1988 Olympics. He can still re-sign with New York starting Tuesday.

The Oilers are unlikely to sign Leetch but will receive a compensatory draft pick in 2004 -- probably a second-rounder -- when he goes to another team.

Leetch, 33, is a two-time winner of the Norris Trophy as the league's top defenseman. He earned $9.68 million last season when he played in just 51 games because of an ankle injury, scoring 12 goals and 30 points.

Markkanen, 28, was 7-8-3 last season with a 2.59 goals-against average, a .904 save percentage and three shutouts in 22 games last season. He was the backup goalie on Finland's Olympic team in 2002.
<center>[Image: FOM.jpg]</center>
As a Devil's fan I actually think that Brian Leetch is one of the better guys on the Rangers, as a person not a player. But I also think he is one of the more decent players on the Rangers too. The guys been a staple on the Rangers team since the late 80's so I think it might be a pretty big blow to hardcore Ranger fans if he doesnt end up coming back.
Good morning heartache, your like an old friend, come and see me again - Rancid

Life's a train i barely caught just to find out i ain't got the fare. -Bouncing Souls

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but youre alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
Remember,
this isnt a real trade.
Rangers wont get compensation if Leetch signs elsewhere, and he is a free agent.
Rangers did this a few years ago with Richter.

Having said that, Leetch better be re-signed before I start stalking Sather with a sawed off shotgun.
&lt;img src=&quot;http://home.att.net/~frostyli/sigpic18b.jpg&quot;&gt;
A.B.A. (Anybody But Atlanta)
Quote:My wife is a Rangers fans and she is really pissed after hearing about it.

Why? You've traded absolutely nothing and got a 4th round pick and a prospect. If anything she should be thrilled. Sather finally did something right. Now, all he has to do is re-sign him at a cheaper rate, and it will make you forget all about Jagr for a week.
Quote:Originally posted by Six-Pack
Sather finally did something right.

What's that, totally give up on the coaching search 3-4 months before the season begins and takes the easy way out, making himself coach, which worked so well last season? :lol:
Brian Leetch is the only real reason i am a Rangers fan. This fucking sucks.
My opinion on the Rangers is that theyre a bunch of talented players who will never get it together. If they want any kind of success, they have to resign Leetch and get a coach who will give the players a kick in the ass to get them to work together.
Well, it's official. You guys got Leetch back.
I guess it's fitting since that's where all the old-timers go anyway. Tongue

Leetch re-signs with Rangers
[sarcasm]GREAT! Rangers resigned Leetch! Now theyll definetly make the playoffs![/sarcasm]

I dont see what the big deal is besides the fact that hes always been a Ranger.

LETS GO DEVILS!
Good morning heartache, your like an old friend, come and see me again - Rancid

Life's a train i barely caught just to find out i ain't got the fare. -Bouncing Souls

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but youre alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
We never needed Leetch in the first place, he was a worm on our hook. (Speaking as an Oilers fan)
&lt;!-- Start CGISpy.com Random Image Code --&gt;
&lt;img src=&quot;http://scripts.cgispy.com/image.cgi?u=DynamiteK&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;
&lt;!-- End CGISpy.com Random Image Code --&gt;