CDIH

Full Version: The Future Upon US
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
We have all seen, if not Total Recall, then the myriad of other sci-fi movies, a future of a security gone wild. Whether it is Ahrnuld fumbling the English language trying to get past a security checkpoint dressed as a roid-raged Mrs. Doubtfire, or just the idealistic overextending and peacekeeping of the "Alliance" of Serenity/Firefly. Most visions of the future, from Orwell to Phillip K. Dick, have a government as a large fixture of everyday life...sometimes in startling places, and usually serving as a cautionary tale.

In Jersey City, NJ, Homeland Security is beginning an experiment. X-ray baggage machines and walk-through metal detectors are being used as commuters go to take the PATH trains from the Jersey City station to get into New York City. These measures are a federal test program of Homeland Security designed to improve rail security around the country. People will line up, and, per Homeland Security, it will ONLY take 1 minute from their commute time to do this process.

A huge change has taken place, post-911. If you are not aware, please note Bush's recent eavesdropping without court orders. In fact, yesterday was the first congressional hearing to look into this issue. Not that you would know...CNN was busy running their Fall Fashion Week program. Despite news organizations failure to cover these important things, what is clear to me is that there has been a behavior modification, ESPECIALLY by the less-government touting Republicans and the so-called liberal Democrats who have the same desire to control masses, and to create MORE government direction and infiltration into our everyday lives. The Patriot Act, Homeland Security, and many other programs since 911 has been put on the fast-burner, and besides to protect and serve, they protect and serve in more extensive and powerful ways than ever before. Under the words or "Safety" and "Improvements" we are now waiting for our turn in line, to be "checked" by our government.

Now, I watched those towers fall from my building in NYC. I am a railroad commuter entering one of the worlds biggest and poorest run train stations every day. I sometimes imagine, in some anxious moments, how a explosion would rip through the narrow halls of Penn Station. I'd imagine something radiated or nuclear turning the stone into liquid and then burn that into gas in a savage explosion I hope I never see in my lifetime. I fear, like many others.

But despite those fears, which are lovingly caressed and festered by our post-911 government, there is another fear. The fear of overbearing overprotection and a government using that fear to promote, or even put to action without any vote at all, programs designed to get a fastidious grip on the population. One wonders if 911 was about the horror and the desire to not have it happen again, OR was a wake-up call to those in power that they were not as powerful as they were before. And the post-911 lipservice is just an attempt to control what they can, in reaction to not being in control of all.
this would be more interesting if it included some fighting between Keyser and I.
Thats an op-ed piece from 'The Paranoid Gazette', isnt it.
This kook gives it two thumbs up or I could be immature and throw out, "I told you so."
Maybe you should travel more before you say that New York has the worst run train system in the world.

That's idiotic.
boo hoo, they have to check my bags. deal with it, communists.
Galt Wrote:Maybe you should travel more before you say that New York has the worst run train system in the world.

That's idiotic.

That's not what i said, you fuckin idiot.
who knows what you said..... nobody read all that.
Ken'sPen Wrote:who knows what you said..... nobody read all that.

*SOB!*
Keyser Soze Wrote:boo hoo, they have to check my bags. deal with it, communists.
wouldn't the communists be some of the people ok with checking bags?
in communism, bags check you!
semantics!!! by communists i meant anti-american scum!
so it's anti american to expect the President to obey the laws and honor constitutional rights?
Fascist scumbag.
no. whiney liberals need something to complain about. theres nothing wrong with protecting american citizens by stepping up security at mass transportation locations.

you have no mind of your own, you just accept whatever howard dean tells you the same way you claim that people like hoon blindly accept everything george w. tells him.

not everything the president does is evil and not everything the left thinks is wrong. theres a little truth on both sides. the problem with america today is everyone is so concerned with beating up the party in opposition to them rather than focusing on solutions to real problems.
Keyser are we in MORE or LESS danger as a nation than we were when the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was written?
how does increased security infringe on your civil rights?
funny think about liberals...they tend to want to control what people do more than Republicans. Republicans actually, per their charter, want less gov't and less intrusiveness...yet b/c of this errant administration, the process has been reversed. So calling it a whiney liberal issue is misinformed. It is asking questions and fearing something else...and that is the current process and trend, rather than just fearing our security from outsiders.
Ken'sPen Wrote:Keyser are we in MORE or LESS danger as a nation than we were when the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was written?

Keyser is one of those middle of the road douche breaths who think they should spout out whatever people want to hear. He's far too stupid to have actual thoughts about anything other then his Z350 and gelled hair.
Keyser Soze Wrote:how does increased security infringe on your civil rights?

Bush is putting warrantless wire taps under the heading "increased security" so I will let you answer this one for yourself.....

think about it,
think hard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5