CDIH

Full Version: Copyrighting free speech? - Or, how to silence your critics.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Free-Speech Violations

Recent law allows copyright holders to complain and get websites banned from search engines.

Biggest culprit: Church of Scientology (Religion to the Stars)
I read about this the other day, and it is kind of scary. In the Scientology case, it boils down to if you look up "Scientology" in a search engine, you would only see results that the church of scientology would want you to see. Pretty fucked up.
So does this mean that all we would see is Battlefield Earth highlights?Confusedcare:
Hey, I read the book, saw the movie, and went into their shop for the free IQ and personality tests. Nothing wrong with that. And their members handing out pamphlets on the street are completely normal. And the sequel will break all box-office records. It will make the infidels understand the brilliance of the first film.

::When are the [sarcasm] tags being installed?::
Quote:So does this mean that all we would see is Battlefield Earth highlights?
That's their bible, isnt it?
The anti-scientology links returned to the site after the legal action by the church of scientology was found to have no merit. Basically Google said it has taken a stance that they remove first, then review the legitimacy of the legal action. Google is first and formost a business so they have to cover their asses. At least they did the right thing in the end and put the links back up.

The removal had nothing to do with free speech. The Church of Scientology tried to claim that the site was using copywritten material on their site which was later found to be false. The Scientologists were simply manipulating the courts to try and apply pressure to Google.
You know, I actually know very little about Scientology. Everyone talks about it like it's a cult, and such a dangerous "religion" that I'm curious to actually learn about some of its basic tenets, but I just have no motivation to do so.

As bad a movie as Battleship Earth was, the underlying message was the complete opposite of all other religions, and is the reason why I hate all organized religions. Unlike other religons where the message is "man is weak, existence is meaningless, believe in fate, God has a plan, etc" the movie seemed to celebrate the strength of the human mind, the power of the individual to control their future, the importance of freedom, and the need for knowledge of facts and other concrete unquestionable facts like math, and such.

It definately SEEMS like the religion or movement might have some merit, but again I know nothing about it aside from what I assumed after watching the movie.
I know nothing about Scientology, therefore I have no opinion on it. I refuse to believe that its a 'Cult' just because Connie Chung says so.
From what I heard in one review, BFE was supposed to be about how humanity loses all the technology and then beats a race that uses technology. Proving that people are better than their toys. But, the irony is they use technology to win. Just a big example of the stupidity of the entire story.

Edit - Holy Shit! Check this link.

Anti-Scientology site

Just skimmed through it. If even half this stuff is true...

Edited By Arthur Dent on April 08 2002 at 11:50
The more I look at this site, the more I want to laugh at the idiocy of the whole thing.

According to the site, L. Ron Hubbard was delusional due to drug use (proved by a copy of the corronor's report on the site) who matched his sci-fi writing with his delusions and a desire to take over the world and turned it into a cult.

All based on this:
Quote:Who is Xemu?
I'm going to tell you a story. Are you sitting comfortably? Right, then I'll begin.
Once upon a time (75 million years ago to be more precise) there was an alien galactic ruler named Xemu. Xemu was in charge of all the planets in this part of the galaxy including our own planet Earth, except in those days it was called Teegeeack.

Now Xemu had a problem. All of the 76 planets he controlled were overpopulated. Each planet had on average 178 billion people. He wanted to get rid of all the overpopulation so he had a plan.

Xemu took over complete control with the help of renegades to defeat the good people and the Loyal Officers. Then with the help of psychiatrists he called in billions of people for income tax inspections where they were instead given injections of alcohol and glycol mixed to paralyse them. Then they were put into space planes that looked exactly like DC8s (except they had rocket motors instead of propellers).

These DC8 space planes then flew to planet Earth where the paralysed people were stacked around the bases of volcanoes in their hundreds of billions. When they had finished stacking them around then H-bombs were lowered into the volcanoes. Xemu then detonated all the H-bombs at the same time and everyone was killed.

The story doesn't end there though. Since everyone has a soul (called a "thetan" in this story) then you have to trick souls into not coming back again. So while the hundreds of billions of souls were being blown around by the nuclear winds he had special electronic traps that caught all the souls in electronic beams (the electronic beams were sticky like fly-paper).

After he had captured all these souls he had them packed into boxes and taken to a few huge cinemas. There all the souls had to spend days watching special 3D motion pictures that told them what life should be like and many confusing things. In this film they were shown false pictures and told they were God, The Devil and Christ. In the story this process is called "implanting".

When the films ended and the souls left the cinema these souls started to stick together because since they had all seen the same film they thought they were the same people. They clustered in groups of a few thousand. Now because there were only a few living bodies left they stayed as clusters and inhabited these bodies.

As for Xemu, the Loyal Officers finally overthrew him and they locked him away in a mountain on one of the planets. He is kept in by a force-field powered by an eternal battery and Xemu is still alive today.

That is the end of the story. And so today everyone is full of these clusters of souls called "body thetans". And if we are to be a free soul then we have to remove all these "body thetans" and pay lots of money to do so. And the only reason people believe in God and Christ was because it was in the film their body thetans saw 75 million years ago.

Well what did you think of that story?

What? You thought it was a stupid story?

Well so do we. However, this story is the core belief in the religion known as Scientology.* If people knew about this story then most people would never get involved in it. This story is told to you when you reach one of their secret levels called OT III. After that you are supposed to telepathically communicate with these body thetans to make them go away. You have to pay a lot of money to get to this level and do this (or you have to work very hard for the organisation on extremely low pay for many years).

We are telling you this story as a warning. If you become involved with Scientology then we would like you to do so with your eyes open and fully aware of the sort of material it contains.

Most of the Scientologists who work in their Dianetics* centres and so called "Churches" of Scientology do not know this story since they are not allowed to hear it until they reach the secret "upper" levels of Scientology. It may take them many years before they reach this level if they ever do. The ones who do know it are forced to keep it a secret and not tell it to those people who are joining Scientology.
Part of the first page of the secret OT III document in L. Ron Hubbard's own handwriting

Now you have read this you know their big secret. Don't let us put you off joining though.

So, they start with this very reasonable sounding "people are good and capable of big things" stuff, and end with alien things you need to remove from your body telepathicly.
I'd be very pissed if they start censoring what sites show up via a Yahoo or Google search. That would be the beginning of the end for the net. :confused:
Quote:Artist: Ice-T
Album: The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech
Song: Freedom of Speech

Intro

A-yo Ice, man. I'm working on this term paper for college. What's the
First Amendment?

Verse 1

Freedom of Speech, that's some motherfuckin' bullshit
You say the wrong thing, they'll lock your ass up quick
The FCC says "Profanity - No Airplay"?
They can suck my dick while I take a shit all day
Think I give a fuck about some silly bitch named Gore?
Yo PMRC, here we go, raw
Yo Tip, what's the matter? You ain't gettin' no dick?
You're bitchin' about rock'n'roll, that's censorship, dumb bitch
The Constitution says we all got a right to speak
Say what we want Tip, your argument is weak
Censor records, TV, school books too
And who decides what's right to hear? You?
Hey PMRC, you stupid fuckin' assholes
The sticker on the record is what makes 'em sell gold
Can't you see, you alcoholic idiots
The more you try to suppress us, the larger we get

Verse 2

[You have the right to remain silent]
Fuck that right! I want the right to talk
I want the right to speak, I want the right to walk
Where I wanna, yell and I'm gonna
Tell and rebel every time I'm on a
Microphone on the stage cold illin'
The knowledge I drop will be heard by millions
We ain't the problems, we ain't the villains
It's the suckers deprivin' the truth from our children
You can't hide the fact, Jack
There's violence in the streets every day, any fool can recognise that
But you try to lie and lie
And say America's some motherfuckin' apple pie
Yo, you gotta be high to believe that
You're gonna change the world by a sticker on a record sleeve
Cos once you take away my right to speak
Everybody in the world's up shit creek

Verse 3

Let me tell you about down south
Where a motherfucker might as well not even have a mouth
Columbus, Georgia, said they'd lock me up
If I got on the stage in my show and said "Fuck"
So I thought for a minute and said "No,
I wasn't even gonna do a damned show"
Cos for me to change my words from my rhymes
Is never gonna happen cos there's no sell outs on mine
But I vowed to get those motherfuckers one day
They even arrested Bobby Brown and Cool J
Yo, they got their's comin', cos I'm mad and I'm gunnin'
Homeboys, and there's no runnin'
I'm gonna tell you how I feel about you
No bull, no lies, no slack, just straight fact
Columbus, Georgia, you can suck my dick
You ain't nothin' but a piece of fuckin' shit on the damned map

Verse 4

Freedom of Speech, let 'em take it from me
Next they'll take it from you, then what you gonna do?
Let 'em censor books, let 'em censor art
PMRC, this is where the witch hunt starts
You'll censor what we see, we read, we hear, we learn
The books will burn
You better think it out
We should be able to say anything, our lungs were meant to shout
Say what we feel, yell out what's real
Even though it may not bring mass appeal
Your opinion is yours, my opinion is mine
If you don't like what I'm sayin'? Fine
But don't close it, always keep an open mind
A man who fails to listen is blind
We only got one right left in the world today
Let me have it or throw The Constitution away

Outro (Jello Biafra)

What they're trying to do with radio, with this, uh, McCarron-Walter
Act and a lot of other ways, is start by saying that they're
protecting the public from wicked rock bands, or girlie magazines, or
whatever. But, if you follow the chain of dominoes that falls down,
what they're really trying to do is shut off our access to information
itself.

If they can't do it by law they know there's other ways to do it.

Freedom of speech. (Just watch what you say.)
I loved his work on Homicide: Life On The Streets.
After seeing some of the posts here, maybe all they should outlaw is long, boring quoted passages. How about just supplying a link? It would really cut down on how much the server has to support.
Great ass and a great wiseass.
Aww shucks Keyser.. [Image: 34.gif] [Image: thanks.gif]

Edited By Ahlexus on April 08 2002 at 2:31
Quote:After seeing some of the posts here, maybe all they should outlaw is long, boring quoted passages. How about just supplying a link? It would really cut down on how much the server has to support.
better yet, how about if we just send each other IMs? That way, sean can shut down the site entirely. Nice head, hammer.
Quote:better yet, how about if we just send each other IMs? That way, sean can shut down the site entirely. Nice head, hammer.
I am intrigued by your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Please send $20 & a self-addressed, stamped envelope
Kid, if you need to learn how to "link", just ask. Don't be shy.
Pages: 1 2