CDIH

Full Version: O&A To Take Over David Lee Roth's slot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Blabbermouth.net...

Report: Deal Made For DAVID LEE ROTH To Be Replaced On CBS RADIO - Apr. 19, 2006

According to Hits Daily Double, CBS Radio's Joel Hollander has made a deal with XM Radio to replace David Lee Roth with Opie and Anthony. Look for the High Voltage duo to return to the terrestrial airwaves on CBS' N.Y., Philly and Dallas' Free-FMs as well as WBCN Boston, WNCX Cleveland, Pittsburgh's K-Rock and West Palm Beach's The Buzz. They will also continue to be heard on XM channel 202.

The Associated Press reported last week that Roth has rarely hit the right notes since his January debut on New York's WFNY-FM (billed as Free-FM) and six other CBS Radio stations. In a recent broadcast, Roth claimed he was bombarded with four management letters in five days about content and predicted his show could be finished before May.

Several of his on-air sidekicks were dumped as the program struggled to find its groove. Roth disappeared from the airwaves for two days amid the turmoil.
i dont know how they are going to pull off the fm show with a lot of the shit they say on xm. & xm subs are going to drop dramatically.

will ron & fez follow?

and if so, when do i get a refund for my myfi?
XM subs are not going to drop just because of Opie and Anthony
well whats going to be the point of paying for their xm show if you can hear it on FM radio? Just to hear them curse?
is there going to be more commercials added to the show? that would suck for the people who got XM
Yeah, this seems like a fucking stupid move if you ask me.

Anyone wanna buy a MyFi now ?
Great for me, I already have Sirius. Now I get to hear the only show i'd listen to on XM for free.
hoo hoo let's take howies old spot
didn't they bash terrestrial radio pretty much every day on XM? wow, they're hypocrates, what a surprise.
im sure if you were offered a ton of money to be exposed to an even greater audience, you would turn it down.

being on regular radio will make the show better, because it will open up the audience back to the common man, not just the pests.

and i believe the bashing of terrestrial radio had a lot to do with them saying, they are happy on XM where they can do whatever they want. now they can still do whatever they want on XM, and an edited version will air on regular radio.
why would anyone who wants to listen to O&A buy XM if they can get O&A for free?
because it will be edited, loaded with commercials & be missing 2 hours of content?
not to mention replays.
perfect. thats exactly what i was looking for.
It's not like someone backed up a Brinks truck and dumped a load of cash on them. Fuck terrestrial radio it sucks, and so does Keyser.
i pretty much listen to sirius exclusively these days besides mike and the mad dog.
Anthony Cumia says:

Quote:You will be getting more show. You will hear the predumped CBS version from 6-9AM and a pure XM version from 9-11 or even later (to 12 NOON) if something is really rolling.
Yes, 6am to 9am will be FCC friendly. REALLY think about the show these days. Without the fucks and shits what's being talked about is well within FCC guidlines. TASTLESS SHIT IS NOT A VIOLATION! The same horrid jokes that were made on WNEW can still be made. Sex and cursing are issues.
Anything that will be too much for CBS will be done on XM between 9-11 or 12.

The up side here are the callers who can't afford satellite = more freaks and pissed off callers.
Better guests, TONS more exposure for XM and the show, and most of all sitting in Howards studio doing a show because CBS needed to put the show on to bail themselves out of a clusterfuck.

Give it a few weeks before you start getting all pissed off! REALLY listen to todays show, take out the curses and tell me how much couldn't be on Free-FM? Just relax for a while and then you can bitch if you're still pissed.

This is a great opportunity for the show, XM and CBS AND the listeners. It shakes shit up a bit and that has ALWAYS made the show better.

I mean....If it was really happening anyway.
when you put it that way, it actually does sound like a pretty good idea. it doesn't make me want to go get an XM radio, but i understand their strategy a bit more now.
I'm surprised he's willing to work the extra hours. When you add the commute, it'll be like forty hours a week.
It's official: David Lee Roth exits radio
Former Van Halen frontman had short career as host

Friday, April 21, 2006; Posted: 2:59 p.m. EDT (18:59 GMT)

David Lee Roth: "I was booted, tossed, and it's going to cost somebody."

NEW YORK (AP) -- Well, that didn't take long.

Rocker-turned-radio host David Lee Roth, who accepted the no-win task of replacing ratings king Howard Stern in January, was bounced from the airwaves Friday after barely three months on the air in New York, Philadelphia, Boston and four other markets.

"I was booted, tossed, and it's going to cost somebody," Roth said on his last show, intimating that his lawyers would go after CBS Radio for the full compensation due from his reported $4 million contract. The timing of the move was interesting: It arrived just days before the Roth show's first Arbitron numbers.

CBS Radio spokeswoman Shavonne Harding said the company would have an announcement soon on its plans. She declined any other comment, and would not say who will replace the former Van Halen frontman on Monday's morning drive time shift.

Roth said he was only told about the syndicated show's demise while riding in a car to the WFNY-FM studios in Manhattan.

His replacements, in a hiring fraught with bizarre subplots, will be shock jocks Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia -- currently available only to the 6.5 million listeners on XM satellite radio.

"Apparently we can talk about it now. So much for keeping a lid on this," the pair said Friday on their show's Web site. "The Opie and Anthony show will be replacing David Lee Roth in several markets on CBS Radio Free-FM stations."

Opie and Anthony's syndicated show was yanked from terrestrial radio in August 2002 after airing a live account of listeners having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral. The company that silenced the duo was the same one that just hired them back, CBS Radio.

It also puts the pair in the slot long dominated by Stern, who feuded with Opie and Anthony for years before leaving for Sirius Satellite Radio. And it reverses the trend of satellite looting traditional radio for talent. Instead, CBS Radio is reaching out to satellite radio for syndicated programming.

"What they're doing is switching to a proven act," said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. "This is a group with a pedigree. I would think the stations involved are very happy about this."

There is no word on when the Opie and Anthony show will debut on CBS Radio. The Associated Press was told the pair will do three hours on both XM and CBS, and two additional hours exclusively for the satellite audience.

In addition to New York, Boston and Philadelphia, Opie and Anthony will reportedly air in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, West Palm Beach, Florida, and Dallas.

Further proof of how strange the O&A move was: Bill Donohue of the Catholic League, who demanded the pair's dismissal after the St. Patrick's scandal, issued a statement wishing the pair well.

"(They've) made it clear they regretted the St. Patrick's stunt," said Donohue, who appeared as a guest on the pair's XM show. "In short, the Catholic League hopes Opie and Anthony have a great run on CBS Radio."
Pages: 1 2