CDIH

Full Version: Sygate home network - ... anyone know about it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking of letting my friend install this on my pc so that my other pcs could all share my DSL broadband.

Has anyone heard about using this program to do that? Is it any good? Is there one that's better?

I would really appreciate some opinions.. thanks Smile
Don't do this if you really care about efficiency and a nice setup. Getting a router is so much easier and less of a pain in the ass.
AM, I don't have that option because I have a USB modem. What else do you suggest?
I agree with AM, buy a router/gateway. They're cheap now, and really easy to setup.

Plus, you can get a hub w/ built-in router for around $100 or less.
From what I understand, there is only 1 router that hooks up to a USB modem... and it's only had very limited testing. Supposedly, it's only been tested with about 3 different types of modems... meaning, success with it isn't too good.

Edited By Ahlexus on April 09 2002 at 9:51
ugh! I didn't realize you had a USB modem. Next thing, you'll tell us you use a laptop, too. (vs. a desktop pc)
k, before u do ANYTHING, get a NEW FUCKING MODEM... usb modem = teh suck
Kid, I actually have 4 pcs (only one is a laptop and that's not what I'm using). What I want to do is hook up an older pc that is located behind me.

Hummer, I'll ask bf if that is an option.
With your USB modem, and Internet Connection Sharing, you could install a Network Card in the machine with the modem. This network card could then be connected to a hub, and would then provide the rest of your network with a shared internet connection. The only drawback is that the machine with the modem would have to be ON in order for the others to have a connection. This is a simple and cheap solution, but some don't like the fact that one machine has to be on.

Short of doing this, a new modem and a hub with built-in router would be the best solution.
Kid, thanks a lot for the information. I will take a closer look at what can be done this weekend. I do know we installed a network card in the other pc but there was an equipment compatibility problem.

I do appreciate all your help though.
does you modem have a network cable hookup??or does it only have usb
There are dongles that convert usb and ethernet. I'm not sure however if they are only one way or the other.
With our old compute Sygate served us well….when I upgraded to a newer computer I also escalated to a router and that works out better. I guess it depends on what level of performance you’re willing to settle for. IMO Sygate will do OK for the great unwashed masses……
I really appreciate all the help you've given me on this. I worry that if I do use Sygate I'll lose some performance on the pc I'm using. :confused:
you will lose some performance but most likely it wont be a significant loss :confused:
Just go ahead and install Sygate……I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Thanks Bartman and Lord... and everyone else too. You guys have been great :thumbs-up:
anytime:fuggin: