CDIH

Full Version: Kobe Beef
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i had both versions of Kobe Beef in the last week. The Japanese version...which is fucking expensive ($50 burger in the city). The American version, which is cheaper at about $15 to $20 per burger.

Kobe beef refers to beef from the black breed of cattle (originally in Japan), raised according to strict tradition. The cattle reportedly receive regular massages and are fed beer as well as a mixture of corn, alfalfa, barley and wheat straw. The idea is that the meat will have far better flavor, tenderness, and fatty well- marbled texture, qualities. In other words, Japan took great care in the grading and breeding of perfect cattle and took care to keep it that way. The American version has ranchers believe good genetics and careful feeding are the main ingredients for quality Kobe-style beef with the same very cattle, but brought over to America and breed here now.

To cut it short...I liked the American version better. Tasted beefy and rich, but a lot like a, uber Angus grade, though..

The Japanese version was good, and a bit more different. There was a beefy richness, but I found the texture a bit off. Certainly not worth the high price.
kobe beef is quite popular in colorado, BARUM PSSH!!
yeah, in Aspen.
is this stuff hard to get from a butcher store?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/kobebeef/tp/buykobe.htm">http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/kobebeef/tp/buykobe.htm</a><!-- m -->
so basically, there's a good chance that my local butcher won't have or be able to get some for me.
depends who your local butcher is.

gooch, which restaurant did you try it in? Chodorow's Kobe Club got ripped a new asshole in the NYT recently. Chodorow, pitched a fit and bought an ad basically saying that Bruni was an asshole and that he's starting his own blog to review restaurants that Bruni pans.
i had a kobe burger in vegas at the burger bar. it was good. it was american kobe i guess since it was only like 20 bucks

true story
I had a stupid Kobe joke ready but gonzo made one already so I'll save it for next time
i've had both in burger form. japanese at the stanton social, & american at the cheesecake factory. japanese was way better. even thought the cheesecake factory burger was about 4 times the size of the "slider" at the stanton social.
oh man, burger bar = sooooooo good
You know, I'm pretty sure I've never had Kobe beef.

I did go to Strip House this weekend again. Absolutely the best steakhouse in New York (that I've been to)

As an aside, kangaroo is really good. really really good. And I think it's more lean than beef.
ostrich is realllly good too. nice & tender.
i've been to BLT steak, S&W, Sparks, Old Homestead, Mortons, and Peter Lugers. Haven't been to Strip House yet, but i've heard good things. Best i've had is the new york strip at Mortons, though BLT's filet is a close second. BLT also has a burger place called BLT burger, I think on 7th ave, which carries a variety of kobe burgers.
That has been discussed ad nauseum. Try to keep up. You haven't been the same since funsnaps took you down a peg.
Old Homestead sucks. I hate it. The food wasn't good, the place was barron, and the waiters suck. Sparks has awesome food but a bland ambiance.

I've never been to Lugers because I don't go to Brooklyn, but I've been to Wolfgangs, and Ben & Jacks and I don't like the Luger-style of keeping strip/porterhouse.

I've been to S&W once it was laughably bad. I thought I was being punked. I've talked to other people and they hate them too.

The BLT places are good.

But seriously, Strip House is the best. Amazing strip. Amazing filet - not a big fan of any of the sides.

Dylan Prime is a real good date place if you want to go. intimate seating, girly drinks, dark, good food. Has these really good potato truffle things too.
i didn't like S&W either, it tasted like chain restaurant food. i liked the sides at old homesteak, especially the crab cakes, but the steaks were average. i've been to dylan prime as well, wasn't all that impressed with the food but they've got a bar that had a good crowd of attractive single women, which is usually rare for a steakhouse.

i haven't been to cub room yet, but i've heard good things about it as well.
Keyser Soze Wrote:wasn't all that impressed with the food but they've got a bar that had a good crowd of attractive single women, which is usually rare for a steakhouse.

not really. the gold diggers know where to go to find a man. uncle jacks is filled with single chicks looking to pick up.

i didn't like smith & wollensky either. the food was just bleh & the atmosphere was sooo annoying. very very loud. a lot of obnoxious loud tables sitting right on top of you. you couldn't hear anything over them. i like the smaller more private dark places like mortons better. uncle jacks was very dark & into the red velvet & brass shit, but still very loud & very cramped. i grew up on lugers, but still love mortons since they serve filet.
HollywoodJewMoses Wrote:oh man, burger bar = sooooooo good

i had a milkshake too!
Reuben's in montreal has the best filet.

I don't think I want to eat kobe anymore since it's relatively the same as eating veal, although kobe does taste good
Pages: 1 2