CDIH

Full Version: Qotsa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The show fuckin rocked!!!

It was hot as shit in the club though. My first time there.
They had no opening act, and played for like an hour straight. Then they left for like five minutes and came back and did a 3 song encore. Then left again, then came out for a 2 song encore. About 1:30 in all.

Dave Grohl is a mediocre drummer, but can play really heavy and hard. He can keep a good beat and added alot of energy to the show. I think he's a better guitar player.

I am horrible with remembering setlists, but they did play...

Monsters in the Parasol
Feel Good Hit Of The Summer
Regular John
I Think I Lost My Headache
Mexicola
Millionaire
You Would Know
Tension Head
The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret

OK, I forgot what else. See, I'm terrible with these things. BAH!
The show seriously rocked though.

PS - I think I may have found a ticket for tonights show too. :-D

Edited By Maynard on May 30 2002 at 1:03
and Avon and If Only...lots of new songs, too...Mark Lanegan kinda brought the show down to too much of a mellow tone, I thought. But at least he only sang in like 3 songs. I completely forgot until a few songs in that Grohl was drumming, but man, did he hit the skins hard

(not as hard as some of the drummers I saw this weekend though---I would write a review for Emissions but A) You guys really wouldn't care all that much and don't know too much about the bands I'd describe and B) I don't remember a whole hell of a lot :lolSmile

Grohl seemed to be having a great time playing with them.

Unfortunately, I was late and missed some songs, but they'll definitely be back out on tour in August. If you can, without hesitation, check em out!
Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri are 2 of the best musicians out there, songwriting, playing, singing, they don't need anyone else...

The TLA is a great place to "see" a band, it's sound system was so-so, but ti was way too fucking hot in that place..
I wanna hear a review!! MEMEMEMEME!:lookatme:

Nick is an amazing bass player. And what the fuck was the shitty sound system doing when Mark was singing?? Where was all that feedback coming from. damn.

Dale Crover is still a harder hitting drummer, and plays much more interesting shit too.

Did you like the way Grohl slipped in his trademark "teen spirit" drum beat into a few songs? IT was really evident on Monsters, but you missed that. Undecided
It'll be a while for the review...I have to try to recreate the weekend in my mind, I'll try tonight...:fuggin: :fuggin: :fuggin: :fuggin: All the shrooms, shots, space, beer and buds have distorted my memory
QOTSA will be appearing on the Kane & Cabby show on KROCK this afternoon.

Does this mean they have sold out and Maynard & Spit will now disown them???
Quote:QOTSA will be appearing on the Kane & Cabby show on KROCK this afternoon.

Does this mean they have sold out and Maynard & Spit will now disown them???
They've been on MTV and Conan before too, so that's nothing new
What time are Cane & Cabby on? I might actually listen to them just to hear QOTSA.

And I never said I only listen to music thats not mainstream tool.
I'd like them to get the credit that's due to them...so maybe other bands in the scene will be able to survive on their art and quit their day jobs to make music.

Queens haven't changed their style...to me that's "selling out"...personally, it would be nice to hear them on the radio, it would be a reason to listen to it
Are you "Addicts"?
I believe Kane and Cabby come on at 3 but don't hold me to that. If anyone has a KROCK feed online, please let me know, i'd like to hear it as well.
I wonder if Krock will cut the QOTSA songs in half and completely butcher them up like they do with Thursday songs.
they came on at 2, usually don't do interviews until later in the show. don't hold me to that though.
i didnt realize grohl actually played drums on the new record as well. now if the foo could only snag their Dave for a few months as well. that would interesting to hear.
After this tour, Dave is going right back to Foo to finish up their album and tour.
I'll have to type up the Queens article in Rolling Stone, well, they interview Dave and it gives his reasons for doing other stuff besides Foo...
They are on now!

I knew I recognized the other guitarist. He's from A Perfect Circle they just said.

Troy Van Leewen is his name.

Edited By Maynard on May 30 2002 at 2:56
HA! I snuck out to my car to smoke a cig...heard a good part of it...
they're all sorts of fucked up...
It's so funny how they were all ragging on Courtney, but Dave couldn't really say anything bad...

New album August 13!!! :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer:
QOTSA Enjoying Life With Dave

Nick Oliveri counts his blessings as Dave Grohl rocks the royal family

After years of toiling in relative obscurity, Queens of the Stone Age have found themselves recording and playing with no less a rock legend than former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl. Grohl played on their new album, Songs of the Deaf (due August 13th) and will be behind the kit for their upcoming tour, which kicks off May 27th.
At last weekend's Coachella Festival, a two-day celebration of rock, hip-hop and electronica held on a Polo Field smack in middle of the California desert, the new band -- which also includes Screaming Trees frontman Mark Lanegan on vocals -- proved it's no publicity stunt. As QOTSA's blustery rock exploded into the crisp air on Saturday, the crowd surged and screamed for more every time Grohl landed one of his pummeling fills or brought a song to its thundering conclusion. He ditched his shirt halfway into the set, the ultimate gesture of rock assimilation.

QOTSA singer-bassist Nick Oliveri couldn't suppress his excitement backstage.

How did the recording of Songs for the Deaf go?

Our recording was good. We just finished the new record, which is kind of a concept record that has the radio flipping between songs, like the dial on a radio. And we have different DJs -- I don't mean scratching DJs, I mean DJs talking -- announcing songs and just kind of talking shit about how a lot of stations play the same thing over and over. We're just taking a chance, having a good time. We don't get played on the radio, so I figure we should talk shit about them.

How was it working with Dave?

It's great. He's going on tour with us, joining our band and we're psyched. We're like, "You can have as many bands as you want. I have three bands, why shouldn't you?" If he's into it, which he is, I hope he stays. He's one of my favorite drummers of all time. He's got a signature beat, and I don't know many drummers that have that, you know, the "Teen Spirit" beat. That's Dave Grohl's beat as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard that beat before. I've heard it after he did it, but I never heard it before he did it. So I'd say it's his. It's amazing, dude. He's from one of my favorite bands of all time and I'm fucking counting my blessings. I haven't taken my bass home to practice in years, but I've been taking my bass home -- trying to stay strong with my fucking chops and shit.

So he's definitely onboard?

Yeah, I think he's enjoying playing drums. I think he's enjoying not having the responsibility of taking care of everyone. We're taking care of him. It's like, [he doesn't] have to write all the songs -- I'm not saying those guys don't write, I'm saying he doesn't have to do it all. He doesn't have to sign the checks. He's a great songwriter, he's a great singer and a guitar player, but he's a better drummer as far as I'm concerned. I tell him that to his face, so it's not anything I'm just talking shit about. He's one of the best rock drummers. He should be behind the kit. He should be hitting the skins. He's a madman.

How has it been hanging with Dave off-stage?

He's just a cool guy. He's a really mellow dude, man, which you don't really expect from somebody's who's done as well as him, you know? Very humble, very cool. Treats people the same level. It's an unexpected thing.
The interview blew. Cane sucks monkey ass. The guys were totally into it and Cane didn't have shit to ask except about the suit with Courtney. WHO THE FUCK CARES???? It's a QOTSA interview, not a Dave Grohl interview. That just blows monkey ass. He's a dickhead.

He didn't even have any new songs to play. Why didn't they just play something older? I hate KROCK even more now. And that dumb shit Cane and Cabbie.
Quote:Nick Oliveri counts his blessings as Dave Grohl rocks the royal family

After years of toiling in relative obscurity, Queens of the Stone Age have found themselves recording and playing with no less a rock legend than former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl.

:bah: :puke:

That's not the one I was talking about...

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T HAVE ONE QUEENS ALBUM IN THE STUDIO TO PLAY!!!!! ASSFUCKS...

Edited By Spitfire on May 30 2002 at 3:03
This aint it either but its pretty funny...

QOTSA Take Drivers Ed

Band's "Better Living" to be used in highway safety film

Better driving through chemistry

File this one under "strange ironies of modern rock": Critically revered heshers and known revelers Queens of the Stone Age have provided the soundtrack to an educational film about the dangers of driving while drunk or drugged-out. At the request of the San Diego County Office of Education and the San Diego Sheriff's Department, QOTSA have lent their stoned anthem "Better Living Through Chemistry" -- from 2000's Rated R album -- to a short film to be shown in area high school's drivers education classes.
While "Better Living" (featuring such lyrics as "The blue pill opens your eyes/Is there a better way?") would seem an unlikely choice for anything promoting personal safety or civilian well-being, Queens frontman Josh Homme says the decision to give up the song was an easy one.

"I feel like doing donuts in San Diego County and dropping my name when the cops come," he says. "Dude, it's a get-out-of-jail-free card. I just want to be in league with the cops."

Given that QOTSA have for years extolled the virtues of various intoxicants, one might logically gather that Homme and bandmate Nick Oliveri have at some point had occasion to drive under the influence. Homme deflects questions to this end and instead offers his vision for better highway safety.

"I sort of feel like the roads should have those inflatable arm-floaties [the kind kids use in a pool] along either shoulder," he says. "And that all cars should have 'em too so you could just bounce off everyone."

The as as-yet-untitled instructional clip should be informing San Diego students by next semester, and an abridged version of the video might find its way onto local television.

Meanwhile, QOTSA are mixing their forthcoming third album, Songs for the Deaf, due this spring, with Eric Valentine (Third Eye Blind, Smash Mouth), who also co-produced the record with the band. The revolving door neo-metal collective have this time invited the likes of Dave Grohl (drumming on all but one track), ex-Screaming Tree Mark Lanegan and Ween's Dean Ween to join their thundering party.
Pages: 1 2