CDIH

Full Version: Show reviews... - Post em here!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Seems like a lot of people here go to shows pretty often. Post a review, make a comment, if you check out anything good! :thumbs-up:

Halfway to Gone/Nebula/Nashville Pussy
Stone Pony 6/5/02

HOLY SHIT! My ears are still ringing from the show...and too beers. If you EVER hear about Halfway to Gone playing in your area, don't hesitate, just go check them out! I’m going to try my hand at a review, but I usually suck at writing these things, especially with such a hangover…

I was there mainly to see Halfway to Gone (the opener), I was slightly familiar with Nebula but had never heard Nashville Pussy...$5 for 3 bands, you can't beat that!

HtG just slayed, full of more energy and just that certain something that rocks your world---I really hope that these guys will go somewhere, they’re too good not to. I can’t say too many good things about them. Think Sabbath with Duane Allman on the guitar. Jersey-fueled heavy whiskey rock, dirty Southern boogie jam, drinkin and smokin music, with the power of the riff compelling them. And these guys are also the nicest dudes, I even got a song dedicate to me! They played a really long set for an opener, about 9 songs, and the crowd (of sadly about 30-40 when they came on) got really into them.
Check out some Halfway to Gone mp3's

Nebula was a cool little space trip, blues-based sexy trippy riffs. The singer sounded a lot like Fu Manchu’s singer, the jams are Zepplin-esque. They’re a 3-piece band with a tight rhythm section. I definitely started getting into them by the middle of their set, they also had cool smoke machines. I liked them, they were just missing something, couldn’t figure out what…maybe a little bit of originality…

Which is what was also missing from Nashville Pussy. Their guitarist Ruyter is Angus Young with tits (a nice set too---she took off her shirt and played in her bra most of the set) besides that, she plays fast and hard and totally rocks out playing. I love watching guitarists head bang and thrash around, getting really into what they’re doing. They definitely were pulling out the ACDC heavy rock vibe. The new bassist was competent, but not as showy as the I’ve heard their former one was, spitting fire and stomping guys in the head, but she was another hot chick. All in all, Nashville Pussy was good, their set a little too long…their best songs I heard were “Keep on Fucking” and "You Give Drugs a Bad Name" they were pretty cool. I wouldn’t go out of my way just to see them, though.

ps, this is the guitarist from Nashville Pussy
[img]<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nashvillepussy.com/images/popsicle.jpg">http://www.nashvillepussy.com/images/popsicle.jpg</a><!-- m -->[img]

Edited By Spitfire on June 06 2002 at 11:28
Went to the DFP today. It basically sucked ass. I hate all of those cookie cutter bands, however, I figured it would be a pretty cool even to go to.

The two highlights of the day for me were the Strokes, and watching all the cute girls walking on the concorse. Everything else about it sucked major fucking ass.

I think I may have watched a total of 4 bands, and you know what? They ALL sounded EXACTLY the same way live as they do on their cd's. I thought a "live" show was supposed to be just that? I like to KNOW a band is playing live, and not just playing their cd and lip synching to it.

It is a VERY cool place to see a show though (Jones Beach). It's an amphitheatre literally ON the water. The only complaint I had about it was that the sound was very weak in the upper deck. It sounded great from the floor, but once you got up higher, it was too soft. I like my bands LOUD! Especially when they're all supposed to be hard rock acts like today.

There were a few celebs there. Howard Stern (and his HOT girlfriend), Sharon Osbourne, Jack Osbourne, and Jessie Camp was walking around the Concourse taking pictures with people and stuff. He's a tall motherfucker. Oh yeah, and there were these two REALLY hot strippers. They were walking around with their asses and boobs hanging out. :-D
sorry bout the repeat thread

I was at DFP too. agreed, it sucked for the most part, but i SOAD was amazing...them, incubus and korn, who played a surprisingly good set, were the only highlights of an otherwise crappy show. whoever set this thing up is the dumbest person alive for having freaking papa roach play second to last....they ruined any energy the crowd had. AWFUL!
As for jones beach, its a decent theater, but the fact that its all seats sucks to me, GA shows are infinately better.

thursday i saw goldfinger and mest at the vanderbuilt...mest was ok, goldfinger rocked, they were fucking awesome.

6/14 i'm going to see coheed & cambria, movielife and catch 22, going to incubus at the garden the week after that, probably a couple other small shows here and there...so far its been a pretty good summer for shows.

62 days till warped tour :bouncer:
Goldfinger is a cool band. They do alot of really cool covers.

I just found out tonight that I'm going to see Danzig for free on the 28th. :-D

And of course.....MELVINS coming up next Wednesday and Thursday!!!!!! Tickets still available for both shows. Come out to either show, and get to see the great Maynard in the flesh!
Saw Our Lady Peace on thursday at The Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. Amazing show. I saw them there last summer around the same time, the only problem this time was the A/C broke down and the place was hot as hell. There was also no alcohol this time around for some reason, guess it was an all ages show though I didn't see any young kids there.

OLP must have a pretty loyal following here cause they not only packed the place but aside from the brand new songs from their upcoming album, 75% of the audience was singing along to every word of their songs. Its pretty cool when the crowd is that into the band. Raine, the lead singer, even let them sing pretty much the entire lyrics to "Are You Sad?" last time and this time he did a completely different version of it.

Great, great show, fix the A/C at The Birch Hill please.

The opener sucked, don't even know who they were, don't care.
Quote:Jessie Camp was walking around the Concourse taking pictures with people and stuff. He's a tall motherfucker.

He sure fuckin' is, and his spiked up hair even ads to it. I ran into him a few years ago at the David Lee Roth show / Jester opened @ The Tradewinds.

Quote:Saw Our Lady Peace on thursday at The Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. Amazing show. I saw them there last summer around the same time, the only problem this time was the A/C broke down and the place was hot as hell. There was also no alcohol this time around for some reason, guess it was an all ages show though I didn't see any young kids there.

The Birch Hill lost their liquor license.

Quote:I was there mainly to see Halfway to Gone (the opener), I was slightly familiar with Nebula but had never heard Nashville Pussy...$5 for 3 bands, you can't beat that!

I knew of The Nashville Pussy show, but I thought Nebula was the opener - I didn't realize that HTG was the pre-opener or whatever. Oh, well, maybe next time.
just got back from the strungout show at irving plaza

rufio - they suck and they sound like new found glory/ fenix tx wannabe's and i hate both groups. plus i recognized their crappy songs that my roommate used to play. the funniest part of their set though was when the bassist screams into the mic for no reason 'FUCK YOU'. it was so lame i had to laugh

rise against - thursday type band (at least thats how i viewed them). thought they sucked. at least when i saw thursday they didn't sound as weak as these guys.

poison the well - uuhh, i guess they were good (i thought they stunk). didn't pay to much attention cause it sounded like the lead singer was barking. the music was nice and heavy though. i watched some kids near me get into a fight. that was cool. some kid got punched when he was standing like five feet from me, and was so close to crying. had a nice fat lip too.

strungout - i guess it was because of where i was standing, but i couldn't hear the vocals to good. i only know about 7 strungout songs to begin with, but the ones i didn't know sounded pretty cool. they played mostly knew stuff which i never listened to. overall i liked them :thumbs-up:

but the best part of the night was on the way home i saw the guy with no legs from the movie kids on the 4 train. he wasn't singing his 'i have no legs' song but i gave him a dollar anyway. i'm nice like that. i wanted to talk to him and ask if that was him, but i felt kind of bad.

side note - why do so many singers, especially in punk, sound like they've been kicked in the nuts? i hate that
What's worse.....kicked in the nuts whiny emo singers, or cookie monster singers?
i think emo singers, because some cookie monster singers just do that sometimes and then sing normally others. emo is whiney all the time
Quote:side note - why do so many singers, especially in punk, sound like they've been kicked in the nuts? i hate that
For once, I agree with you, I cannot stand most of those New Found Good Charlotte 41 "punk" bands. They all sound the same and are incredibly shitty. As far as screamy vocals, its an acquired taste. The more and more I've listened to it the more I like it. Sometimes they sound as generic as pop-punk singers, but some bands like American Nightmare, From Autumn to Ashes, and Converge use those vocals very well.
Quote:Quote:

Jessie Camp was walking around the Concourse taking pictures with people and stuff. He's a tall motherfucker.

He sure fuckin' is, and his spiked up hair even ads to it. I ran into him a few years ago at the David Lee Roth show / Jester opened @ The Tradewinds.
yeah i was at that show too. jesse camp was strutting around thinking he was all bad-assed. he was wearing a denim jacket with a pretty cool kiss patch on the back of it. i just kinda walked up to him, pointed in his face and laughed. the roth show was cool.
Quote:Went to the DFP <strike>today</strike> (make that Saturday). It basically sucked ass. I hate all of those cookie cutter bands, however, I figured it would be a pretty cool even to go to.
The worst part was Mayfag's homo work buddy who started crying that he wanted to leave at like 3pm... I still think we should have forced him to stay thru SOAD...

Quote:Oh yeah, and there were these two REALLY hot strippers. They were walking around with their asses and boobs hanging out.
damn.... I love dirty girls who wear their stripper outfits in public...

Quote:I just found out tonight that I'm going to see Danzig for free on the 28th.
And you're driving too... and if you even mention leaving early, I'll have you drawn & quartered :burnfucker:
Quote:and if you even mention leaving early, I'll have you drawn & quartered
:lol:
Do I ever whine?
Quote:The worst part was Mayfag's homo work buddy who started crying that he wanted to leave at like 3pm
i hate when people bitch to leave concerts early
how did anyone leave before SOAD? that was the only reason i was there! they were really the only band worth seeing on the bill.

Edited By criticslovesnatch on June 10 2002 at 11:02
Yeah, this guy that we went with wanted to leave after Hoobastank. I said "who?". That was the band he was really there to see.
all those bands until incubus had like 5 song sets, a couple of them sounded pretty good but they didn't play long enough for me to get a good feel for their sound. Hoobastank was one of those bands.
Quote:how did anyone leave before SOAD?
because we kept the crybaby there for like 5 hours after he wanted to leave.... and he still gave us half our ticket money back....:fuggin:
yeah i was at that show too. jesse camp was strutting around thinking he was
Quote:all bad-assed. he was wearing a denim jacket with a pretty cool kiss patch on the back of it. i just kinda walked up to him, pointed in his face and laughed. the roth show was cool.

"I'm a cowboy, bayyyybeee"
Hed Cold.... Stop going to shows, for your own good. It seems like your not enjoying yourself at all, because you always have something negative to say about the bands you saw.. Just because hardcore and emo are getting kinda big now. DOES NOT mean that you have to bring yourself to shows, and bitch about how emo singers whine, thats what emo is, then bitch about how hardcore singers bark, thats what hardcore is, then bitch about how kids sing and spin in the pit, thats what its like.. so.. yeah.
Pages: 1 2 3