CDIH

Full Version: July 4th - Do you feel safe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was discussing with some people what they were planning for july 4th. Feelings were much more mixed from last year given the events of 9/11. Do you feel safe this July 4th given it's the biggest national holiday of the year? The day America celebrates it's Independence day. My friend had an idea in joking so don't be offeneded. But he said your best bet would be going doin near where the towers formerly stood, not like lightening would strike twice. But no one's gonna celebrate July 4th there so let's be honest. Are you gonna BBQ in your yard or do you feel secure enough to travel on that day?

I personally will be spending the day home or around my neighborhood. But not like i'd honestly be doing anything special since I live in an apt building. Sluggo don't love me enough to invite me over to his big azz pad for some lovin.
Hi Polly Paranoid. My name is Kid. Big Grin
It's a logical day for some terorist strike. If there is one, it will be small. They are in dissarray and can't move as freely as they used to. Suicide bombing at some crowded event is a distinct possibility. However, it will be tough for them to convince someone here to become a suicide bomber. It's easy in Palestine because living conditions suck there and they don't have much to live for. Here in the states, life is pretty good and there aren't many all that willing to give it up at the flick of a switch. I will probably take in a ball game, not worried about anything. If I get blown up, hey that's one less meaningless post for someone to read here.
They're not as disorganized as you think. I was reading, yes reading, in the paper over the weekend of an alliance between Al-Qaeda and Hezbollah. Now, have they had the chance to organize something for the 4th...guess we'll find out soon enough. But, I was planning on just a nice quiet day with the family anyway....just hope they don't blow up Indian Point :thumbs-up:
In the politics of things, Hezbollah wil not target the US. The US has turned a deaf ear to them for years in Lebanon, allowing them to grow to the force they are today. Hezbollah's beef is with Isreal. In the scheme of things. Hezbollah is not as radical and extremist as al-Quaeda.

I'm starting to believe that we have given al-Qaeda too much much credit. It appears that they mave have blown their entire wad on 9/11. They were not prepared to strike again and have since lost all access to funding. They also seem to have lost loyalty and seem to sing like birds when captured to save their souls. Even their staunchest supporters are criticizing their inability to strike another blow. It may be years before we hear from them again. I hope anyways.
we'll see what happens when and if it happens..........do i feel safe? hell yeah.... will i get on a plane?.....sure, why not?
I'm gonna get real drunk so if we get attacked someone better wake me up!

If i had to take a plane..sure i'd think about it, and i'm sure it would worry me but not to the point were i wouldn't vacation to areas that I had to fly to.
Law Enforcement will be on highest alert looking for ANYTHING. Actually, on the "good" side, it means there probably won't be enough cops patrolling neigborhoods busting you for illegal fireworks.

It also means, if your going down to the river to watch the Macy's fireworks, expect to get searched. My guess is if something happens, it will be a suicide bomber that will go off at a checkpoint into some major event. (They can import suicide bombers just like they imported hijackers.)

Quote:I'm starting to believe that we have given al-Qaeda too much much credit.
I'm thinking we don't give our law enforcement enough. I remember several reports about how they stopped over a dozen different plots for the millenium celebration a couple years ago. Who knows how many leads they;ve tracked down and stopped simply by issuing these public warnings?

And how about that guy they arrested in a "dirty bomb" plot. The guy was in custody A MONTH before the media found out and made a news story out of it. How many others have been arrested so far?

As for my July 4 plans, I'll be at a backyard bar-b-q like I do every year. I hate the huge tourist crowds.
Quote:It's a logical day for some terorist strike.

Yeah, because terorism and logic go hand in hand.Rolleyes

I will be a drunken fool so me and GW will know of nothing until the 5th anyway. I have both a park and a beach right down the road but fireworks don't do shit for me so i will not be there at all. I will get all kinds of bloated at a bbq, though. The only thiong I like about the 4th is the sales at the big electronic stores, ahhh, the sales. I don't have to really worry about terorism, though, I live in the Bronx. Except for Yankee Stadium, we don't have shit worth destroying. We pretty much destroyed most of our shit anyway.
I don't have more or less fear than any other day regarding the 4th. I'm going to avoid Manhattan, the Liberty Bell, the White House, Mount Rushmore, the Las Vegas Strip and the Grand Canyon, but since I didn't plan on being in any of those places in the first place, I'll probably have DGW or Sean give me a wake up call, since I'll probably pass out before they do.
Quote:And how about that guy they arrested in a "dirty bomb" plot. The guy was in custody A MONTH before the media found out and made a news story out of it.
I'm in no way down playing law enforcements efforts. They are working diligently chasing down every lead and busting their ass to protect us.

But the dirty bomber was a public relations ploy by Ashcroft. The media did not stumble across this, Ashcroft called a press confrence in Moscow to announce it. He wanted to take the heat off the FBI due to all the negative press going around about what they didn't do with pre 9/11 intel. If you look at the facts surrounding the dirty bomber, there is little to nothing there. He had travled to Pakistan and met with al-Queda. That is his crime. As to dirty bomb plans, other than some internet research, there is nothing else. This was a thought in it's early stages. It was good that they stopped the thinking/planning before it became something bigger. The problem is there is a dirty bomb already out there somewhere. That's the one they want to find.
I am not really worried. I am going to go about my normal way of doing things( so right there tells you I am fucked up to begin with). Sure there are 4 Nuclear Power Plants here in Jersey, and one not more then 5 miles away from where I will be on the 4th, so if anything happen there, I am so close that I wouldent even see it coming,(power plant is on my left side for all you eye joksters out there).

Quote:but fireworks don't do shit for me so i will not be there at all.

I aslways thought of you as the run around drunk off your ass with sparklers in your hands type guy, Sean. :bouncer:
Quote:I aslways thought of you as the run around drunk off your ass with sparklers in your hands type guy, Sean.

Nah, man, I always heard you can lose an eye doing that. :crackhead:

I just don't give a shit about BBQ holidays. I grew up in the city so it's just another day for the most part.
Quote:Nah, man, I always heard you can lose an eye doing that.

::rimshot::

ladies and gentlemen, I think that's the line of the day...

Edited By Kid Afrika on July 01 2002 at 09:58
Quote:Nah, man, I always heard you can lose an eye doing that. :crackhead:

damn, I just lobed that one in. Fuckin me and my god damn hanging curve balls.:bow:

Quote:I just don't give a shit about BBQ holidays. I grew up in the city so it's just another day for the most part.

I have to say, I feel the same way. I grew up in Jersey City, the closest we ever got to have a BB-Q was odering some fried chicken from the corner deli, and chopping up a water mellon.
Quote:Hi Polly Paranoid. My name is Kid. Big Grin

Huh? What did I do?

Personally I'm a bit nervous, but I'm not planning on being in or around Manhattan or even New York, so I feel a bit safer. I don't think they'll actually be able to do anything major since security is at hight alert, but even one terrorist act is enough to send my sissy ass packing to Canada to hide.
ill be at the yankee game
Quote:send my sissy ass packing to Canada to hide.

4th of July........... in Canada......... what? :crackhead: It's the biggest flag waving ra ra holiday we have, & you're leaveing the country? ok :rofl:
i'll be drunk... probably hanging out with a bunch of redneck bikers with an arsenal of weaponry
Quote:It's the biggest flag waving ra ra holiday we have, & you're leaveing the country? ok

Nope not leaving the country for the 4th, would run scared after the 4th if something happened.
Pages: 1 2 3 4