CDIH

Full Version: Greatest song intros evar!!!! - The list to end all lists!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, we have all seen those horrible magazine "greatest ever" lists..... where somehow Blind melon winds up ahead of jimi Hendrix or some such nonsense, so I have been thinking.... how about we start our own "lists". The one that is on my mind right now is the intros. Some songs are great with very little intro, others use the intro to set the tone, and still others have become better known for their memorable intro than the actual song. I was gonna start this with an actual numbered list, which would certainly be lacking, since I can't think of them all.

I have instead decided to just list some of the great ones that are jumping to the forefront right now, and have you guys help out. When we get a nice solid list, we'll work on putting them in order... who knows, maybe we'll ship this off to maxim or FHM and see if we can't get their heads out of their asses!

A few to start:

GnR- Welcom to the Jungle, perhaps the greatest blood boiling intro of all time, guaranteed to add 50 HP to any car

Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train.... nuff said

Van Halen - Hot for Teacher, nothing starts things off better than a wicked drum solo

Metallica - One, a slower intro, but as intense as they come... the calm before the storm

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode, old school rock and roll at it's best

The Doors - The End.... ok, it may not be a pure "intro", but well.... it makes me wanna hurt someone

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water, a great example of an intro that overshadows the rest of the song

Ok, I don't wanna hog the list, so hit me gang.... there are a ton of great others out there!
Quote:Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train
DEFINITELY

another great one is understanding in a car crash by thursday. i dont care if you hate them, but the intro is fucking awesome.
Quote:another great one is understanding in a car crash by thursday.
I was just gonna say that one. Anyone who likes music has to love that intro. I might think of some more later.
i'm partial to the opening to just got wicked by cold. its cool to hear at concerts.
even though tool songs start off slow, intros like in eulogy are cool to hear live
This list begins and ends with "Wild Side" by Motley Crue
Ok, I compiled a quick list for now:

Alkaline Trio - Radio; Private Eye
At the Drive-in - Cosmonaut
Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia
From Autumn to Ashes - Short Stories with Tragic Endings
Fugazi - Waiting Room
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Minor Threat - In my Eyes
Radiohead - Electioneering
System of a Down - Chop Suey
Thursday - Understanding in a Car Crash; Streaks in the sky
Van Halen - Jump
The Who - Teenage Wasteland
Metallica has this market cornered. Mater of puppets, Seek and Destroy, Am I evil?, etc..
Quote:The Who - Teenage Wasteland

No such song, but that baba O'reilly DID have a bad ass intro.

DIG, I wouldn't say metallica has it cornered, GnR has a ton of awesome intros too
who do I look like Froy? I usually listen to musicians under 60.
no way sleeper, from autumn to ashes-reflections is way better
just listened to it, it's nothing special. Good song but the intro to Short Stories is epic sounding.
I.........FELT..........YOU.......SLIP AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY............FAR AWAY FROM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Eric Clapton - Layla

Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song

GNR - Welcome to the jungle

Iron Butterfly - Inna Gadda David

Steppenwolf - Born to be wild

SOAD - Toxicity
Black Sabbath-War Pigs how could you forget it.
FATA - Short Stories with Tragic Endings opening rules...it's over a minute long and builds amazingly

definately ozzy's crazy train

Finch - What it is to burn has a great opening too.
Fucking A Sleeper. I came in here just to say "Wasted Years"

Better than War Pigs: Children of the Grave. Even the White Zombie version.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. (Actually the whole album is a set up for that song.... and I am including Have a Cigar and Machine).
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

CCR - Fortunate Son

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze and Red House

Halfway to Gone - Stormy Day

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Solace - Followed

Kyuss - Demon Cleaner

SRV - Texas Flood

Dixie Witch - Thunderfoot

Days of the New - Die Born & The Weapon and the Wound

Ozzy - Crazy Train - Randy RIPS!

Queens of the Stone Age - Better Living Through Chemistry/No one Knows

**best ever - Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis

Edited By Spitfire on Aug. 13 2002 at 10:00
Let me add
Stranglehold - Nuggent
Changes - Yes
Da Da Da - Trio
van halen-You really got me(sure, its a different song, but erruption is played as an intro frequently)
metallica-fight fire with fire, battery, dont tread on me
the who-magic bus, pinball wizard
stones-cant always get what you want

Edited By fbdlingfrg on Aug. 13 2002 at 7:54
Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Short, simple, and powerfull
GnR- "My Michelle" Sets the mood for the whole song.... In fact, almost every song on Appetite has a good intro.
Weezer- Hash Pipe (does just a hook count?)
Fat Boy Slim - "The Rockafella Skank"
Van Halen - "Everybody Wants Some" (The Mets used to take the field to the intro-so much cooler than the current "Meet the Mets")
Pages: 1 2