CDIH

Full Version: FU to Sony and Rockstar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my PS2 stops working on Monday. Fine, I've had it for a long time, and it's a shitty piece of equipment anyway. So, being addicted to Vice City and the Two Towers, I go buy a new one.

So today, I'm furthering my quest to get 100% completed in VC (I'm at 88%, without using a single cheat...), when I get a "Disc Read Error" and the game freezes. Now, THIS PS2 isn't working. It won't read any game discs (PSX or PS2), but it plays CD's and DVD's just fine.

So, since the store I bought it from is closed and won't be open until Monday, I look around the internet trying to find out a cause and/or solution to my problem. According to some posts on the Gamefaqs message board, I'm not the only one who's had this problem while playing VC. There's some major glitches at some of the save points (especially at Cherry Poppers, which is the last place I saved today before it crapped out) which seem to do damage to the internal components or something of that nature. I don't know how true that is, I don't understand how a software glitch could affect hardware like that, as I'm far from a techie, but there should be no reason for a brand new machine to break down so quickly.

Anyone else have similar problems?
i have the same exact problem sir o

my ps2 stopped working a month ago, it wont read any ps2 discs now
No no no no! Don't say that! I just bought my son PS2 for Christmas! :crackhead:
return it and grab him a gamecube/x-box
I didn't want to get him gamecube and i had heard the x-box didn't have the selection PS2 had. Is it really that bad? Ahhhhh, poopies.
no, its not that bad

ive had this ps2 for 2 years, im sure that has something to do with it
Is that it? Two years? That's their lifespan? That sucks. We've had the N64 for longer than that and still have a Sega Genesis somewhere that still works. I guess in two years it will be obsolete anyway, huh?
yes, i also left mine on for 10 days straight

i still dont think it should have broke though
Does this have to do with just Vice City? Or are there glitches in other games that do this? Anything I should look out for?
well this happens with any game i try and put in the ps2 now, madden, nba live and vice city

none of them work, it just says, Disc Read Error

im sure its just something with older models, that have logged a lot of hours of play
I have an Intellivision from almost 20 years ago, and it still works perfectly.

This PS2 lasted 5 days. This sucks.
Note to self...send in warranty card immediately.
WBK, Like I said, mine may or may not have been due to a glitch in the game. As good as VC is, it's apparently got some major technical flaws.

Are you able to play old PSX games on yours, or CD's or DVD's?
cd's and dvd's yes

madden, nba live, or vice city, NO
we had ours since they first came out, but we took advantage of that handy dandy vertical stand and saved some space. then, dvds stopped working, at first we thought we had to dl new drivers, and then we bought the remote control. then, older games stopped working, pretty soon, the only thing that worked was gta3. then vice city came out and we bought a new one, so far so good, but i'm not surprised. although sweet, i'd still say go for ps2 over the others. there's a good chance you'll have no problems and it still has all the best games
This is why I bought one of those extended warranties from Best Buy
ive had mine since july 2001 and it works fine for the most part. All games play fine. My only problems are that:

- my dual shock 2 malfunctions when playing SOCOM (which i rented 4 times) and TM:B Online, but thats probably the controllers fault.
- Caddyshack dvd doesnt work, but i bought a dvd player, so that doesnt matter.
From what I've read about this problem it may have to do with dust on the laser eye. Blow some canned air into the PS2. Hopefully it will work.
Try getting a cleaner for the PS2. your getting the disk errors because the lens is dirty. Clean the lens fix the problem.
I had this problem with mine over the summer...I called sony, and sent it to them. they sent me a new one...I had mine opening day, and used it almost everyday since then. Sony did in fact say that it was due to dust/cat hair getting inside and gumming up the works. They fixed it free of charge, and paid for shipping each way.

Sir O and WBK, I suggest calling them, they will fix it for ya, and Sir O, you will have 2 machines...
Pages: 1 2