CDIH

Full Version: Oscar Nominees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
1. Best Picture: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Hours," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "The Pianist."

2. Actor: Adrien Brody, "The Pianist"; Nicolas Cage, "Adaptation"; Michael Caine, "The Quiet American"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "Gangs of New York"; Jack Nicholson, "About Schmidt."

3. Actress: Salma Hayek, "Frida"; Nicole Kidman, "The Hours"; Diane Lane, "Unfaithful"; Julianne Moore, "Far from Heaven"; Renee Zellweger, "Chicago."

4. Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper, "Adaptation"; Ed Harris, "The Hours"; Paul Newman, "Road to Perdition"; John C. Reilly, "Chicago"; Christopher Walken, "Catch Me If You Can."

5. Supporting Actress: Kathy Bates, "About Schmidt"; Julianne Moore, "The Hours"; Queen Latifah, "Chicago"; Meryl Streep, "Adaptation"; Catherine Zeta-Jones, "Chicago."

6. Director: Rob Marshall, "Chicago"; Martin Scorsese, "Gangs of New York"; Stephen Daldry, "The Hours"; Roman Polanski, "The Pianist"; Pedro Almodovar, "Talk to Her."

7. Foreign Film: "El Crimen del Padre Amaro," Mexico; "Hero," People's Republic of China; "The Man Without a Past," Finland; "Nowhere in Africa," Germany; "Zus & Zo," The Netherlands.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Peter Hedges and Chris Weitz and Paul Weitz, "About a Boy"; Charlie Kaufman and Donald Kaufman, "Adaptation"; Bill Condon, "Chicago"; David Hare, "The Hours"; Ronald Harwood, "The Pianist."

9. Original Screenplay: Todd Haynes, "Far From Heaven"; Jay Cocks and Steve Zaillian and Kenneth Lonergan, "Gangs of New York"; Nia Vardalos, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"; Pedro Almodovar, "Talk to Her"; Carlos Cuaron and Alfonso Cuaron, "Y Tu Mama Tambien."

10. Animated feature film: "Ice Age"; "Lilo & Stitch"; "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron"; "Spirited Away"; "Treasure Planet."

11. Art Direction: "Chicago," "Frida," "Gangs of New York," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Road to Perdition."

12. Cinematography: "Chicago," "Far From Heaven," "Gangs of New York," "The Pianist," "Road to Perdition."

13. Sound: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Road to Perdition," "Spider-Man."

14. Sound Editing: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Minority Report," "Road to Perdition."

15. Original Score: "Catch Me If You Can," John Williams; "Far From Heaven," Elmer Bernstein; "Frida," Elliot Goldenthal; "The Hours," Philip Glass; "Road to Perdition," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Burn It Blue" from "Frida," Elliot Goldenthal and Julie Taymor; "Father and Daughter" from "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," Paul Simon; "The Hands That Built America" from "Gangs of New York," Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; "I Move On" from "Chicago," John Kander and Fred Ebb; "Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile," Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto.

17. Costume: "Chicago," "Frida," "Gangs of New York," "The Hours," "The Pianist."

18. Documentary Feature: "Bowling for Columbine," "Daughter from Danang," "Prisoner of Paradise," "Spellbound," "Winged Migration."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Collector of Bedford Street," "Mighty Times: The Legacy of Rosa Parks," "Twin Towers," "Why Can't We Be a Family Again?"

20. Film Editing: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Hours," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "The Pianist."

21. Makeup: "Frida," "The Time Machine."

22. Animated Short Film: "The Cathedral," "The ChubbChubbs!," "Das Rad," "Mike's New Car," "Mt. Head."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Fait D'Hiver," "I'll Wait for the Next One (J'Attendrai Le Suivant)," "Inja (Dog)," "Johnny Flynton," "This Charming Man (Der Er En Yndig Mand)."

24. Visual Effects: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Spider-Man," "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones."

Academy Award winner previously announced this year: Honorary Award (Oscar statuette): Peter O'Toole.
Here are my picks...

Best Picture
"Gangs of New York"

Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis, "Gangs of New York"

Actress
Salma Hayek, "Frida"

Supporting Actor
Christopher Walken, "Catch Me If You Can."

Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates, "About Schmidt"

Director
Martin Scorsese, "Gangs of New York"

Adapted Screenplay
"Adaptation"; Bill Condon

Original Screenplay
Nia Vardalos, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

Animated feature film
"Lilo & Stitch"

Art Direction
"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,"

Cinematography
"Gangs of New York"

Sound
"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"

Sound Editing
"Minority Report"

Original Score
"The Hours," Philip Glass

Original Song
"Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile," Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto.

Costume
"Gangs of New York"

18. Documentary Feature
"Bowling for Columbine"

Film Editing
"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"

Visual Effects
"Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones."
Quote:Visual Effects
"Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones."

:clueless:

Over LotR: TTT?
Lord of the Rings will win nothing of any importance this year. Two Towers was better than Fellowship but who gives a fuck when we can award gay musicals and Nicole Kidman with a big nose and an ugly face. Hell Peter Jackson did not even get nominated for best director. There reasoning is it will win everything next year. If it's the best movie it deserves to win. Call me crazy but Minority Report should have been nominated for best picture too at least Spielberg should have gotten a best director nod.
About Schmidt should be on there as best movie

So should One Hour Photo

Gangs of New York does NOT deserve to be there, it's a good movie, but far from best of the year
Why Hours and Pianist is on there is beyond me. Britney Spear's Crossroads and Madonnas Swept Away would have even been better choices than that crap.
Quote:Call me crazy but Minority Report should have been nominated for best picture too at least Spielberg should have gotten a best director nod.

Crazy.
gangs of new york was a mess. lewis was great but the picture was a standard story and an editing nightmare.
Scorsese has been getting snubbed by the academy for almost 30 years now. Most genius that is overlooked for many years always gets awarded for their least deserving efforts, it's been like that throughout history.

If he somehow doesn't win this year, he gets a lifetime achievment oscar next year. They started that with chaplin back in 1972, when they begged him to comeback when they needed him. I called it the "oops we ignored you for several decades, here's a spare oscar" award,
why. Minority report was an amazing movie. Great concept of precrime and sentencing people before they committed murder. I hate Tom Cruise movies for the most part but that movie was incredible. That and Two Towers were my 2 favorite movies of the year.
Quote:Most genius that is overlooked for many years always gets awarded for their least deserving efforts, it's been like that throughout history.

Like Denzil last year in training Day
Dude minority report might be a good movie but not a best picture movie.

Fight Club was great too while maybe it coulda been nominated I really don't see it as a best picture type film.
It just pisses me off Miss Boring Nicole Kidman gets nominated for everything and is the best thing in all of Hollywood and a fucking holocaust movie that maybe 2 people saw in the piano are nominated while movies people like and do well like Lord of the Rings this year get fucked in the ass and will win nothing. I only brought up Minority Report because there was mention for it as well as Insomnia, One Hour Photo and Road to Perdition. All better choices than that Hollywood bullshit. Never saw About Schmidt but from the reviews it deserved it more than Hours or Pianist.
they shouldnt give it to scorsese for this movie. raging bull yes, gangs no. plenty of great doirectors never won oscars, hawks,welles,hitchcock.
Crashing the party for poor Marty

By WILLIAM GOLDMAN

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick unto death of feeling guilty about Martin Scorsese.
Here are the names of five great directors: Charlie Chaplin, Howard Hawks, Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick and Orson Welles. What do they have in common? For all their fame and brilliance, none has won the Oscar for best direction.

Neither has Scorsese.

Should the five have won? Absolutely. But it's not a mortal sin they didn't. Should Scorsese? You bet. A couple of times. ("Taxi Driver," obviously, "Raging Bull," obviously. But I fell in love with his talent earlier on, with "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.")

This year, more than ever, it's like there's a Byzantine plot to get Scorsese the honor. As if the phonier critics all dropped to their knees and looked up at the Hollywood Gods, going in unison, "Oh pwease, we twied so hard wif 'Kundun,' we even twied wif 'Bwing Out the Dead,' so pwease pwease wet Marty win this year, he wants it sooooo bad."

That he does. The Hollywood parties he is attending must make him want to barf, but there is, glad-handing anyone in the vicinity who is an Academy member who might throw him a vote.

Miramax, the greatest movie company of the era (and the most brutal -- and maybe they have to go together) is so all-out for Scorsese it's heart-stopping. They do a brilliant job and I honor that -- but I will never forgive them for hyping the Oscar to Roberto Benigni, the scummiest award in the Academy's history. And I suspect Scorsese will win, too.

But he sure doesn't deserve it, not this year -- "Gangs of New York" is a mess.

Please do not sputter on about some of the visuals -- my God, bring Ed Wood back from the dead, give him a hundred mil-plus to play with, he'd give you some visuals, too.

No, the problem with "Gangs of New York" is nothing new in Scorsese's work -- he has never been secure with a story. No one's much better with actors or look or camera placement. It's that most crucial director's tool that haunts him. The reason his movies do not make much, if any, money is not because he is dealing with esoteric subjects that are above the average moviegoer's head. It's the clumsy storytelling that frustrates us, sending us out of the theater dissatisfied.

"Gangs" is in trouble from the outset. In the opening scene Leo, at about age 10, is watching his daddy shave. There is a cut. The razor is given to the kid and then the father intones the following: "The blood stays on the blade."

I have a friend who is so giddy with the sheer pretentiousness of that line that he says it to everyone. You say "Good morning." He answers, "Yes, and the blood stays on the blade."

And please do not blame the screenwriter for that. Because when you are dealing with a giant ape director, they get what they want. And Scorsese chose to open the story that way.

What story though? The lack of an answer is what demolishes the movie. Is it about gang warfare? Family revenge? Irish immigration? The Civil War? The draft? Political corruption? Prejudice? These subjects and more, all of them valid enough alone, flicker in and out, never accumulating or connecting one to the other.

One example to indicate the problem: Two hours and seven minutes into the film, folks, there is a scene between Leo and the political boss of New York -- and they are discussing a subject never mentioned before in the movie and which you could not guess if I gave you the rest of my lifetime: who is going to run for Sheriff.

For 10 minutes, an amazing wasted length of movie time, and especially damaging this late into a pic, we deal with the election of the sheriff and his subsequent murder and Leo eventually challenging Daniel Day-Lewis to combat.

But we knew from the first sequence that this would happen because Day-Lewis killed Leo's pop.

So now the fight, yes? Nope. Not in this baby. Ten additional minutes drudge on before they get to it.

OK, a word about fights in the 2002 films: It's the worst year ever. I thought nothing would ever beat "Insomnia" with Pacino in climactic combat vs. that tower of power, Robin Williams,. Eleven feet tall, the two of them together, tops.

But this fight was worse -- because you couldn't see it. Scorsese has hidden it behind the smoke of cannon fire. Nothing to make John Wayne worry.

But the battle is still better than the way the movie ends, with a disgraceful shot of the World Trade Center.

I guess if you can't move people legitimately, you do what you have to do…
I'm not saying right or wrong arpi, just saying how it is and always was.
Quote:Charlie Chaplin, Howard Hawks, Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick and Orson Welles.

but they all won life time achievment oscars, so ha!!!

It's not a lock that scorsese wins like I said if he doesn't then he wins the lifetime award next year.

I say give it to scorsese though, it may not be his best but then again would you rather give it to Pedro Almodovar for "Talk to Her"?

subpar for a subpar year.
I'm sick of people erasing the WTC out of movies. Thats the real disgrace.

Also, I thought Minority Report was great, better than alot of other movies Spielberg has done.

And Denzel was AWESOME in Training Day. He deserved the Oscar for that performance, not just because he was passed over for other deserving performances.
Hello, denzel already had an oscar from Glory.
My bad, but he still kicked ass in Training Day.

MAN UP, MAN THE FUCK UP!
Pages: 1 2 3