CDIH

Full Version: Uh Oh's - my laptop & the problem....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
so yesterday my homepage got set to some spam infested website which eventually resulted in a bunch of pop ups taking over my computer, which then led to my first ever blue screen on windows xp

now windows wont load up, it tries to load windows and nothing happens, it wont work in safe mode or the last safe setting

so what do i do? i would like to avoid having to reformat
if you can't even get into safe mode, I dunno what to tell you - the System Restore thing is quite handy, but if you cant get into windows to use it, it's pointless.

does it even try, or does it just hang forever without getting into safe mode?
You may have an issue with the hard drive...

Try getting into safe mode and running system restore and restore to a previous time. This will avoid formatting. I know you said it won't load up but try it a few times to see if you can, for the lack of better terms, get lucky.
i believe i have a 3 year warranty with compusa regarding this laptop, so should i take it into compusa to see what they have to say or should i just not waste my time and take it directly to an independent laptop maitenence place that toshiba suggested i go to?
I think you should smash it into a wall :28:
hey i have an idea, why dont i try and run it in safe mode.....
LyricalGomez Wrote:I think you should smash it into a wall :28:
I think you should too.. you might have the Skynet virus.
Take it to CompUSA. The warranty will get it fixed.
Mention Jack's name and get a free 50 pack of Jewel cases!
if i take it to compusa though, will they be able to try and help me get some files or all my files that i need off of the existing harddrive?
If the hard drive is toast... no

There is only one place I know of that does data recovery from bad hard drives and they are located in Detroit, Michigan. They charge $100.00 (or is it $1000.00 I can't remember...) per megabyte for data recovery.
i dont think that the harddrive is toast

it appears to just be a virus that replaces the file that loads up windows.
Quote:if i take it to compusa though, will they be able to try and help me get some files or all my files that i need off of the existing harddrive?

Couldn't you just re-download those Max Hardcore and Khan Tusion vids?
yes, but i need documents for work.
Well then you're fucked
eh, ill figure something out
if its a generic startup file that got hosed, just replace it. try using a boot disk to get to the drive, if you can do that then the hardware must be fine and its simply a matter of restoring the corrupt system file in safe mode using the system recovery feature. did you try that yet?
tried doing that last night, didnt work
can you get it to work with a boot disk?
no, i showed jack what kind of things it was doing , he says it probably isnt anything that is fucking up the harddrive
Pages: 1 2 3