CDIH

Full Version: Anime - cartoons - i thought i was wierd... - No, and i don't mean as die hard as seph
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a small obsession. Star Blazers. It was a quirky cartoon that was shown in the 70s. It is mostly forgotten and lost to lore. So much of the show sucked (by today's stardards): A WW2 Battleship gets retro-fitted and launches out into space yet all of the physics remain the same (it shoots it's guns and suffers from kickback/waddle, it catches on fire, etc...). But this was one of the first space stories (actually released in Japan pre Star Wars, here after Star Wars), it had a running story (arc?), and characters with dynamic personalities and flaws.

A while back I was able to download about 20 of the first 30 episodes of the first season. They have been on my computer for a 18 months and I have only truly found time to watch maybe 16 or 18. But still, I thought I was bizarre and had a problem.

That is until I saw this, (a guy spent up to $300 to have a Volton painted on his $300 goalie mask)
[Image: justin_herman.jpg]
damn, the Voltron thing is cool. If he was Uber cool, he's also have his pads painted to look like the different lions.
I THINK I know what show you are talking about, not entirely sure though. I think the name of the ship itself was the Yamamoto?

In any case, If you people want to make this a serious thread about Anime Discussion, Im all ears.
I remember seeing it on a show about anime.
Think it was originally title Battleship Yamamoto.

I also saw an anime film that was set in the distant future and everybody traveled between planets by train. They went to the train station and the train ran on rails made of lasers. It looked like the train projected it's own tracks through space. (Story was about a little homeless girl and some lady with superpowers traveling somewhere and fighting a big bad guy when they got there. That's all I remember.)
Arthur Dent Wrote:I also saw an anime film that was set in the distant future and everybody traveled between planets by train. They went to the train station and the train ran on rails made of lasers. It looked like the train projected it's own tracks through space. (Story was about a little homeless girl and some lady with superpowers traveling somewhere and fighting a big bad guy when they got there. That's all I remember.)
Galaxy Express 999.

One of the worst Anime's EVER. Cheezy 70's stuff thrown together with Horrible Animations.
AKIIIIRA!!!! TETSUUOOOOO!!!! :crackhead:
So far the weirdest anime I've seen is Dark City but I'm sure there's stranger. In this one, a guy is fucking a chick and she turns into some spider creature that eats his head off :roflmao:
Actually, the english translation of the Japanese title is "Space Cruiser Yamato", eventhough the ship, in WW2, was a battleship. (just to split hairs)

But there is no way I am going to get into a anime discussion here. Seph would wipe the floor with me.

Anyone know the title of the hentai Anthony was talking about, the one where the brother does his sister?
monkey
Back to Sloatsburg's Original remark: I lifted this from one of my Anime Magazine (Animerica Volume 8, Issue 10):

"Yamato: the Yamato was a real battleship launched by the Japanese during Worls War 2. Touted as their ultimate warship, it was sunk quite quickly... but in the future it will rise again! Retrofitted with Alien Technology such as a wave motion engine and a unstoppable wave motion Gun, it would go on many voyages.... and thanks to a very jumbled continuity, be destroyed many more times. Still, it's the ultimate spaceship in all of anime - Japan's 'U.S.S. Enterprise' if you will. In the American dub Star Blazers, it was called the 'Argo'."

As for me personally, my favorite anime Is Rurouni Kenshin (called "Samurai X" in the dubbed English version). Comedy, action, very good. The OVA Series of Kenshin is, in my opinion, the Greatest Anime EVER. Plus, since it is a stand alone, you dont have to be familiar with the series to enjoy it. If some of you people have Direct Connect (Look at my thread in the Geek Zone), I'll glady share it with you.
Sephiroth Wrote:Back to Sloatsburg's Original remark: I lifted this from one of my Anime Magazine (Animerica Volume 8, Issue 10):

"Yamato: the Yamato was a real battleship launched by the Japanese during Worls War 2. Touted as their ultimate warship, it was sunk quite quickly... but in the future it will rise again! Retrofitted with Alien Technology such as a wave motion engine and a unstoppable wave motion Gun, it would go on many voyages.... and thanks to a very jumbled continuity, be destroyed many more times. Still, it's the ultimate spaceship in all of anime - Japan's 'U.S.S. Enterprise' if you will. In the American dub Star Blazers, it was called the 'Argo'."

As for me personally, my favorite anime Is Rurouni Kenshin (called "Samurai X" in the dubbed English version). Comedy, action, very good. The OVA Series of Kenshin is, in my opinion, the Greatest Anime EVER. Plus, since it is a stand alone, you dont have to be familiar with the series to enjoy it. If some of you people have Direct Connect (Look at my thread in the Geek Zone), I'll glady share it with you.
Maybe this weekend you can send it to me. Forget direct connect though. Both of us should close DC so we get a faster connection, and do it through AIM.
I saw the English dub of Princess Mononoke and thought it was weird hearing Hollywood actors voices in anime. Good film though.

Which do you prefer, subtitled or dubbed Anime?

I saw Sword of the Ninja dubbed and thought it was great. Wasn't distracted by having to read subtitles at all.
Sephiroth Wrote:Back to Sloatsburg's Original remark: I lifted this from one of my Anime Magazine (Animerica Volume 8, Issue 10):

[SIZE = 20] H [/SIZE]

Actually, I was trying to bring up the fact that this guy painted his hockey equipment with Voltron. I just set it up with how I like the Star Force....

Now, if he made his helmet look like one of the two guys in G-Force, that would be cool. Voltron, just Geeky.

Oh, lets compare Voltron and G-Force (AKA Battle for the Planets):

G-Force: Leader, Brooding strong silent number 2, Chick, Big lug, small dorky looking guy

Voltron: Leader, Brooding silent guy (gets captured), strong number 2 (might have been 3), Princess, Big lug, small geeky looking guy.

Ships combine to form the ultimate battle weapon: Pheonix vs. Voltron, misc. vehicles vs. 5 lions

All wear goofy battle outfit: G-Force as birds, Voltron as cooresponding numbers and colors.

Now, if any of you seen the spoof Dyna-man which appeared on USA Night Flight, we could compare that to the original Power Rangers. Dyna-man, I thought, was a spoof on Voltron.
Personally, I prefer Subtitled anime. When it is translated, it is often horribly mutilated on the cutting room floor. Questionable material is taken out to make the item more appealable to little children, and references to japanese culture and lifestyles are taken out to prevent confusion (IE: When a Character sneezes in american english, they play it off as a cold. In japan though, it is a superstition that if you sneeze three times, somebody is speaking Ill of you somewhere).

It used to be that to get subbed anime, you had to go to Fansubs, which were notoriously hard to find (you had to know a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy.. etc. And by the time you get it, it was a 15th generation tape and the quality is shit). Now that DivX is finally getting picked up (for those who dont know, DivX is a encoder that takes usually large MPEG files and converts them to much smaller AVI files with little or no decrease in quality), Digital Fansubs are becoming incrasing popular. This is how I see all of my anime, I have about 300 CD-R's of Digitally encoded Anime Fansubs. And with IRC FINALLY becoming more accepted by the mainstream internet community, Digital Fansubs are becoming easier and easier to obtain. Anyone looking for further info can IM me.
300.... Seph, can we be friends?

Actually, I went to a website and found out about many of the things that were edited out of Star Blazers:

Death - all of the tanks were robot-manned *cough*GIJoe*cough*

They showed the sinking of the Yamato and the Americans and the evil Gamilons attacked in exactly the same fashion

Suicide were editted out

Possible multiple partner/homosexuality innuendos/character situations were highly downlplayed/dismissed/ignored

panty peeks

originally, this show had some severe anti-American undertones: an enemy from afar comes and drops radiation poisoning until the old [way of] life is gone, then comes in and cleans up the planet for it's own purpose.
Seph, as long as it doesn't require going to another message board and "making friends" to get them, I am definitely interested.
OK, here looks like a good place to ask the question...I have seen Akira and loved it own it, but thats basically the extent of my anime education. Would anyone like to suggest other titles that don't require extensive backstory to understand?
Vampire Hunter D
Princess Mononoke
Ghost in the Shell
Green Ran Run
Sword of the Ninja

Think of more later.

Edit - One thing you need to understand about Anime is that it doesn't follow the western model of story telling (beginning, middle, end)

Very often, the story starts in the middle and then tells the beginning and the end at the same time, or mix it up entirely in flashbacks and jumps forward.

Edited By Arthur Dent on Mar. 22 2002 at 5:28
Add Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade to Dent's list, and you're good to go.
Quote:It is mostly forgotten and lost to lore.
Starblazers actually shows on Sci-FI during Toonami semi-regularly

And you want weird? You want Strange? Ranma 1/2.. for crying out loud.. guy falls into a pool practicing martial arts and from then on whenever he gets doused he turns into a girl.. his dad falls into a different pool and turns into a PANDA. WTF???

Oh.. F3 is kinda wierd too
Pages: 1 2