FBHW Forums
Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: I can't wait to talk about........ (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) (/showthread.php?tid=3358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - beckyp - 09-18-2009

installing McAfee on the ol' desktop 'cause its been acting funny.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-18-2009

beckyp Wrote:installing McAfee on the ol' desktop 'cause its been acting funny.

Please...not McAfee...anything but that and Norton...

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Biff - 09-18-2009

Agreed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus ... 20142.html</a><!-- m -->

Use that instead. It's free and far superior.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-18-2009

Also, run Trend Micro's Housecall and Windows Live OneCare on your box...some viruses can block programs from getting installed, but these run in the browser. They're good for the first round of anti-virus fighting.

housecall.trendmicro.com
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?mkt=en-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/defa ... ?mkt=en-us</a><!-- m -->

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Opus - 09-18-2009

And when none of those actually do anything for you since they all SUCK, come see me at Best Buy.

Mcaffee is by far the WORST antivirus application available. It slows down your system, is inadequate at finding even the most common of virus', and often times will actually damage your operating system. There is a reason that ISP give this crap away for free.

AVG, if they would stop trying to find "virus like activity" and actually focused on the virus' themselves, may actually be worth free. Right now, you couldn't pay me to use this software.

OneCare has been discontinued by Microsoft as of this past June. You can still get updates for it, and still buy the software through some channels, but why use something that will not be around for much longer?

Trend Micro is respectable enough to use if you do light surfing and not much downloading. It gets the fewest updates though out of the major players. My understanding is that Trend is working to rectify that though.

Hands down, the best AV for 2009 was Norton Internet Security. It was completely re-written from the ground up for speed, reliability, frequent updates, and to not be a resource hog on your system. I run Norton 2009 on my computers. DO NOT use any edition prior to 2009 though as the old versions of Norton (2004 - 2008) would be equatable to McAffee.

Other products that I have found to do an ok job:
- Spysweeper with Antivirus. It has a better price point (is cheaper) than something like Norton and seems to keep machines pretty clean. It has some of the annoyances of Spybot or Vista (constant questioning to see if you actually wanted to do something), but overall does a pretty good job.

- Bit Defender 2009. Bit Defender flys under the radar quite often simply because you don't find it on the shelf at a lot of places. I have used this program at a couple of different clients due to their volume licensing discounts and the clients have been really happy with it.

Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 09-18-2009

Nerd alert!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - zdunklee - 09-18-2009

Opus Wrote:And when none of those actually do anything for you since they all SUCK, come see me at Best Buy.

Mcaffee is by far the WORST antivirus application available. It slows down your system, is inadequate at finding even the most common of virus', and often times will actually damage your operating system. There is a reason that ISP give this crap away for free.

AVG, if they would stop trying to find "virus like activity" and actually focused on the virus' themselves, may actually be worth free. Right now, you couldn't pay me to use this software.

OneCare has been discontinued by Microsoft as of this past June. You can still get updates for it, and still buy the software through some channels, but why use something that will not be around for much longer?

Trend Micro is respectable enough to use if you do light surfing and not much downloading. It gets the fewest updates though out of the major players. My understanding is that Trend is working to rectify that though.

Hands down, the best AV for 2009 was Norton Internet Security. It was completely re-written from the ground up for speed, reliability, frequent updates, and to not be a resource hog on your system. I run Norton 2009 on my computers. DO NOT use any edition prior to 2009 though as the old versions of Norton (2004 - 2008) would be equatable to McAffee.

- Spysweeper with Antivirus. It has a better price point (is cheaper) than something like Norton and seems to keep machines pretty clean. It has some of the annoyances of Spybot or Vista (constant questioning to see if you actually wanted to do something), but overall does a pretty good job.

- Bit Defender 2009. Bit Defender flys under the radar quite often simply because you don't find it on the shelf at a lot of places. I have used this program at a couple of different clients due to their volume licensing discounts and the clients have been really happy with it.

Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

You forgot AVAST! it is free and works amazingly well without bogging down anything. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.avast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.avast.com/</a><!-- m -->

and if you really want you can pay for the professional edition that has a lot more features.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - plumpenut - 09-18-2009

Drunk as Hell!

:ThankYou:

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Opus - 09-18-2009

zdunklee Wrote:
Opus Wrote:And when none of those actually do anything for you since they all SUCK, come see me at Best Buy.

You forgot AVAST! it is free and works amazingly well without bogging down anything. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.avast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.avast.com/</a><!-- m -->

and if you really want you can pay for the professional edition that has a lot more features.
I did no such thing.

Opus Wrote:Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 09-20-2009

wondering why i'm awake at 12:30 am . . . maybe because i went to sleep too early . . . ???

OMG I am so addicted to this message board!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - beckyp - 09-20-2009

Biff Wrote:Agreed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus ... 20142.html</a><!-- m -->

Use that instead. It's free and far superior.

it was nothing major just these obviously fake alerts that we had a trojan. i'm guessing one of the roomies fell for one of those pop-ups where they tell you to download a anti-virus program and it kept saying we had a trojan and to buy its software. really annoying. i googled it and it turns out other people have gotten it. we had AVG but it never came up with anything. McAfee recognized the fake alerts right away and got rid of it.

so suck on that nerds. :thumbup:

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-20-2009

Really, Opus? I've never had an issue with Trend Internet Security, and had always heard that Norton was slightly less worthless than Mcafee.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - zdunklee - 09-20-2009

0rz0ski Wrote:Really, Opus? I've never had an issue with Trend Internet Security, and had always heard that Norton was slightly less worthless than Mcafee.

Norton 2009 got the highest ratings by far from PC World, in the past your statement would have been true, but since they rewrote the entire program it doesn't bog down the system and does the best against new viruses due to its "constant update" feature that check every 5-20 mins for new virus definition updates.

If I was paying for an antivirus Norton would be the best for your money by far. As it is I have about 6 different programs that I use that are free and do just as good of a job as the pay ones when all of them are working together.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Opus - 09-20-2009

The 2010 roundup should start popping up in stores anytime. After I have had some time to evaluate them, I will let you know which program is the best for 2010.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - sunshyne - 09-21-2009

back from Florida, where I visited my folks and my sister for a little early birthday weekend. I am sunburnt and tired, but I had a great time.

(back left to right) my sister, my dad, my mom and me (in red shirt)
[Image: TheFamily.jpg]

my sister and me
[Image: meandkate91909.jpg]

water sports
[Image: mekneeboarding.jpg]

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 09-21-2009

Looks like you had nice weather and a very good time!! Happy Birthday!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-21-2009

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG AHHHHHHHHH SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 09-21-2009

[Image: 152_282_hyperventilation.jpg]

it'll be ok

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - krystal - 09-21-2009

0rz0ski Wrote:EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG AHHHHHHHHH SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!

:violin:

I <3 you.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 09-21-2009

0rz0ski Wrote:EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG AHHHHHHHHH SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to believe there is any truth whatsoever in this statement. I have met you personally and know of your uber-nerd like intelligence (not that you are anywhere near an uber-nerd because anybody that can do what you do with your tongue could NEVER be considered a nerd). Wink :o :wave:

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Mad Dog - 09-21-2009

Orzy has a talented tounge? Do tell.....

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-21-2009

That's only for people who went to Springfield.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - zdunklee - 09-21-2009

0rz0ski Wrote:That's only for people who went to Springfield.

Show Code. :o

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - zdunklee - 09-21-2009

Worst Tatoo Ever...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sade.tumblr.com/post/193043747/mike-sent-me-this-just-so-its-clear-somebody" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sade.tumblr.com/post/193043747/m ... r-somebody</a><!-- m -->

[Image: tumblr_kqax6plLpK1qzraqfo1_400.jpg]

Also This:

[Image: stare.jpg]

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 09-22-2009

Right Now I'm........... (part deux):

Tired and ill after a long ass house fire.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 09-22-2009

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:Right Now I'm........... (part deux):

Tired and ill after a long ass house fire.

It is extremely admirable that you lay your life on the line for others. And you probably don't get told enough, but we appreciate you!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - beckyp - 09-22-2009

excited about getting this sometime next week!

[Image: snow_whites_revenge.jpg]

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-22-2009

Why is she a bandito?

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 09-22-2009

she just got done with filming the 'beat it' video

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - krystal - 09-23-2009

I truly enjoy creating small Facebook skirmishes.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 09-23-2009

krystal Wrote:I truly enjoy creating small Facebook skirmishes.

Right now I'm . . .

going to check out Facebook . . .

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - mainerliser - 09-23-2009

krystal Wrote:I truly enjoy creating small Facebook skirmishes.
Big Grin

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 09-23-2009

Really not wanting to mow the lawn. At least yesterday I had the excuse that it was raining outside.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - sunshyne - 09-23-2009

surprised at the new layout for the board, its nice, but now there's all these new buttons and stuff

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - krystal - 09-23-2009

I've just been mind-raped. I blame Biff.

Edit: I blame Opus.

But I'm going to try it out and see how I like it.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Biff - 09-24-2009

.....wondering who in the fuck at my office left a bloody stool in the toilet

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 09-24-2009

Biff Wrote:.....wondering who in the fuck at my office left a bloody stool in the toilet

[drop]Take a Stool[/drop]

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 09-29-2009

Sooooo proud of my baby girl! She was elected Student Council President yesterday!!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 09-29-2009

Getting them early into Politics, are ya Queenie? Gonna see if she can get you some free health care? Wink

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 09-29-2009

She's too pretty to not vote for. I on the other hand had the opposite effect.

Flashback:
"Don't for the retarded ugo, other schools will think we're all like him"