FBHW Forums
Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: I can't wait to talk about........ (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) (/showthread.php?tid=3358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-07-2009

zdunklee Wrote:
potthole Wrote:So there's a team in my softball league named "Off in the Dugout."

Five internet bucks to anybody who can explain why this is one of the greatest team names in history.

Cause if you win you Beat Off in the Dugout. :clap:

YES! I've got $5 Internet Bucks waiting for you.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - zdunklee - 10-07-2009

Give me internet monies!!!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 10-07-2009

What will you spend your internet money on?

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - zdunklee - 10-07-2009

I'll send it to Canada, I hear they need internet monies up there friend.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Philly Mike - 10-07-2009

Opus Wrote:
zdunklee Wrote:
Opus Wrote:And when none of those actually do anything for you since they all SUCK, come see me at Best Buy.

Mcaffee is by far the WORST antivirus application available. It slows down your system, is inadequate at finding even the most common of virus', and often times will actually damage your operating system. There is a reason that ISP give this crap away for free.

AVG, if they would stop trying to find "virus like activity" and actually focused on the virus' themselves, may actually be worth free. Right now, you couldn't pay me to use this software.

OneCare has been discontinued by Microsoft as of this past June. You can still get updates for it, and still buy the software through some channels, but why use something that will not be around for much longer?

Trend Micro is respectable enough to use if you do light surfing and not much downloading. It gets the fewest updates though out of the major players. My understanding is that Trend is working to rectify that though.

Hands down, the best AV for 2009 was Norton Internet Security. It was completely re-written from the ground up for speed, reliability, frequent updates, and to not be a resource hog on your system. I run Norton 2009 on my computers. DO NOT use any edition prior to 2009 though as the old versions of Norton (2004 - 2008) would be equatable to McAffee.

Other products that I have found to do an ok job:
- Spysweeper with Antivirus. It has a better price point (is cheaper) than something like Norton and seems to keep machines pretty clean. It has some of the annoyances of Spybot or Vista (constant questioning to see if you actually wanted to do something), but overall does a pretty good job.

- Bit Defender 2009. Bit Defender flys under the radar quite often simply because you don't find it on the shelf at a lot of places. I have used this program at a couple of different clients due to their volume licensing discounts and the clients have been really happy with it.

Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

You forgot AVAST! it is free and works amazingly well without bogging down anything. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.avast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.avast.com/</a><!-- m -->

and if you really want you can pay for the professional edition that has a lot more features.
I did no such thing.

Opus Wrote:Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

One of my personal favorites is adware away. It is a very detailed scanner. I don't know if anyone else has used it but I found it to be a very useful tool, only thing i found that got rid of the about blank virus i had at the time. It's been a while though so I don't know if there has been a decline in it's performance.

Oh and right now I'm looking up info on squirrel tree frogs because the one that hitched a ride home with me from NC had made a reappearance after running away. So now I am looking up on how to care for them.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Mad Dog - 10-07-2009

Philly Mike Wrote:
Opus Wrote:
zdunklee Wrote:
Opus Wrote:And when none of those actually do anything for you since they all SUCK, come see me at Best Buy.

Mcaffee is by far the WORST antivirus application available. It slows down your system, is inadequate at finding even the most common of virus', and often times will actually damage your operating system. There is a reason that ISP give this crap away for free.

AVG, if they would stop trying to find "virus like activity" and actually focused on the virus' themselves, may actually be worth free. Right now, you couldn't pay me to use this software.

OneCare has been discontinued by Microsoft as of this past June. You can still get updates for it, and still buy the software through some channels, but why use something that will not be around for much longer?

Trend Micro is respectable enough to use if you do light surfing and not much downloading. It gets the fewest updates though out of the major players. My understanding is that Trend is working to rectify that though.

Hands down, the best AV for 2009 was Norton Internet Security. It was completely re-written from the ground up for speed, reliability, frequent updates, and to not be a resource hog on your system. I run Norton 2009 on my computers. DO NOT use any edition prior to 2009 though as the old versions of Norton (2004 - 2008) would be equatable to McAffee.

Other products that I have found to do an ok job:
- Spysweeper with Antivirus. It has a better price point (is cheaper) than something like Norton and seems to keep machines pretty clean. It has some of the annoyances of Spybot or Vista (constant questioning to see if you actually wanted to do something), but overall does a pretty good job.

- Bit Defender 2009. Bit Defender flys under the radar quite often simply because you don't find it on the shelf at a lot of places. I have used this program at a couple of different clients due to their volume licensing discounts and the clients have been really happy with it.

Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

You forgot AVAST! it is free and works amazingly well without bogging down anything. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.avast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.avast.com/</a><!-- m -->

and if you really want you can pay for the professional edition that has a lot more features.
I did no such thing.

Opus Wrote:Just remember, you really get what you pay for and your identity is probably far worth more than the cost of a good antivirus software.

One of my personal favorites is adware away. It is a very detailed scanner. I don't know if anyone else has used it but I found it to be a very useful tool, only thing i found that got rid of the about blank virus i had at the time. It's been a while though so I don't know if there has been a decline in it's performance.

Oh and right now I'm looking up info on squirrel tree frogs because the one that hitched a ride home with me from NC had made a reappearance after running away. So now I am looking up on how to care for them.

This is WAAAAAAY to much nerd speak !!! :ugeek:

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Biff - 10-07-2009

.....wishing my only job was to work out 4 hours a day.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - boaz - 10-07-2009

....enjoying a jagerbomb after a most effed up day at work.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 10-07-2009

Right Now I'm........... (part deux):

wondering how much money boaz spends on booze in a week.

:mrgreen:

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - boaz - 10-07-2009

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:Right Now I'm........... (part deux):

wondering how much money boaz spends on booze in a week.

:mrgreen:

I wouldn't say an insane amount...but certainly enough haha

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-07-2009

Right now I'm hoping to be able to get photo credentials for the Pistons game here in GR next week. I think things are looking good for this possibility.

boaz Wrote:....enjoying a jagerbomb after a most effed up day at work.

Preach it. I'm on the first of a couple of beers tonight, for much the same reason.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - sunshyne - 10-08-2009

Queenie Wrote:How did you injure your eye Sunshyne?

I went camping and the wind blew dirt in my eye, then I slept in my contacts and then campfire smoke got in them. The Dr. said it could be a combination of any of these things, anyway, it makes my tear ducts clogged making my tears toxic (not helpful) so I have to put steroid drops in my eyes and wear my glasses for a month. Then I have to be sure to keep my eyes uber clean since my eyes might be prone to this problem (even though i haven't had issues in six years +) oh well, i was planning on getting my eyes checked this month anyway. and actually my glasses are kinda cute.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - 0rz0ski - 10-08-2009

annoyed at the philistines that don't appreciate the power and beauty of SQL.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-08-2009

sunshyne Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:How did you injure your eye Sunshyne?

I went camping and the wind blew dirt in my eye, then I slept in my contacts and then campfire smoke got in them. The Dr. said it could be a combination of any of these things, anyway, it makes my tear ducts clogged making my tears toxic (not helpful) so I have to put steroid drops in my eyes and wear my glasses for a month. Then I have to be sure to keep my eyes uber clean since my eyes might be prone to this problem (even though i haven't had issues in six years +) oh well, i was planning on getting my eyes checked this month anyway. and actually my glasses are kinda cute.

In highschool I got an ulcer on my cornea and had to do steroid drops for a month. For the first half-week, I had to do them once an hour, every hour. Even through the night. To make things worse, I had two types of drops, and I had to do them 15 minutes apart. So, for three nights I was only able to get sleep 45 minutes at a time.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Biff - 10-08-2009

potthole Wrote:So, for three nights I was only able to get sleep 45 minutes at a time.

:arnoldpussy:

Wait til you have kids.....especially if your wife's dream comes true.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - -Jiggy- - 10-09-2009

Trying to look for any kind of work in Arkansas. I thought it would be easier than this down south!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - plungerhand - 10-09-2009

Finally back on here....special shout out to Biff... And Nike....

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-09-2009

When I have photos online for clients to order, I usually give them the option to change the crop if they desire. Never again.

This afternoon I got a call from my printers that a client changed the crop on a bunch of photos they ordered, making it a lot 'tighter' of a crop, and now half their prints are coming out all pixelated.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 10-09-2009

potthole Wrote:Right now I'm hoping to be able to get photo credentials for the Pistons game here in GR next week. I think things are looking good for this possibility.

boaz Wrote:....enjoying a jagerbomb after a most effed up day at work.

Preach it. I'm on the first of a couple of beers tonight, for much the same reason.

Photo credentials for the Pistons!! That is awesome potthole!! So glad your business is really taking off!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Biff - 10-09-2009

Strangely amused...........

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.funfreepages.com/fuck-shit-piss-890.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.funfreepages.com/fuck-shit-piss-890.html</a><!-- m -->

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - boaz - 10-11-2009

right now...i'm fairly certain I am battling a wicked bout of insomnia that not even beer and jager is able to cure. FML.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-12-2009

Queenie Wrote:Photo credentials for the Pistons!! That is awesome potthole!! So glad your business is really taking off!!

Not a done deal yet, but I have hope. My contact hasn't gotten any communication from the team confirming that I'll have the credentials, but the game is still a little over 24 hours away yet.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - -Jiggy- - 10-12-2009

Hoping I get the job I interviewed for today. It comes with killer overtime and I will be making 3 dollars more starting than I ended with at my last job.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - boaz - 10-12-2009

trying to unwind after a 13 hour work day. Soooo damn tired, yet unable to sleep.

Dear work,

Bite me.

Your truly,
Alan

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - peachs - 10-12-2009

frustrated that I cant seem to find that picture of myself and my two besties dressed as Sailor Scouts anymore.. I thought I had a copy saved on my pc, but it isn't anywhere to be found Sad

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-13-2009

Pistons photo credentials fell through. Apparently my friend's Detroit sports website wasn't 'big' enough in the team's eyes, as they wouldn't credential me as a photographer for the site.

Oh well, I knew it would have been a longshot anyway.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 10-13-2009

potthole Wrote:Pistons photo credentials fell through. Apparently my friend's Detroit sports website wasn't 'big' enough in the team's eyes, as they wouldn't credential me as a photographer for the site.

Oh well, I knew it would have been a longshot anyway.

You can try again next year!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - peachs - 10-13-2009

so... tired...

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Howie Feltersnatch - 10-13-2009

Right Now I'm........... (part deux):

not enjoying the idea of having to drive an extra 60 miles a week to sit in a remote office for no reason other than to sit there. on my own dime.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - plungerhand - 10-13-2009

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:Right Now I'm........... (part deux):

not enjoying the idea of having to drive an extra 60 miles a week to sit in a remote office for no reason other than to sit there. on my own dime.
Gets old real quick....especially when your heart isn't in it, and the miles on your car start adding up

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - krystal - 10-14-2009

Have I gone stupid or am I the only one who caught Name that Tune (music chosen by Lurch) this morning?

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-14-2009

I heard it.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - krystal - 10-14-2009

potthole Wrote:I heard it.

Just making sure I didn't hallucinate it.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 10-14-2009

I'm totally addicted to freakin Mafia Wars again . . . DAMMIT!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - boaz - 10-14-2009

Muhahahaha!!

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - Queenie - 10-14-2009

boaz Wrote:Muhahahaha!!
:Moonie:

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - plungerhand - 10-14-2009

I haven't played any PC games in 5 months...

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - peachs - 10-14-2009

happy that I get to go out for a couple beers tonight with the boys Smile

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - potthole - 10-14-2009

Friday is Opening Day!

In my Uber-Nerd Fantasy Baseball league.

Queenie Wrote:I'm totally addicted to freakin Mafia Wars again . . . DAMMIT!

Heh, and I just deleted my profile for it on Sunday. Game got boring.

Re: Right Now I'm........... (part deux) - plungerhand - 10-15-2009

Cleaning out my locker... It's crazy all the crap
you hang on to forever.