CDIH

Full Version: Recommend obscure films
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was just sitting down from getting home from work, and a movie called "Swimming with Sharks" was on, starring two of my favorite actors, Frank Whaley and Kevin Spacey. It's about this assistant (Whaley) who works for this insane big time movie producer (Spacey), and hilarity and drama ensues. I had never heard, and thus, never seen this movie before, but the brief ten minutes I saw seemed very intriguing, and I suppose I shall rent this on dvd.

I looked it up on imdb, only did like 350,000 dollars, so it must have not been a major release; independent film from the looks of it. But it's got some awesome quotes that only Spacey could deliver.

Dawn: How about lunch?
Guy: Well, I'm not allowed to take lunch, Buddy doesn't believe in it.

Buddy: I told you, it's gotta be loud loud loud! The audience should feel their balls tremble, their ears should bleed!

Buddy: Say this one time with me: "Would you like that in a pump or a loafer?" ...Good. Now memorize it, because starting tomorrow, the only job that you're going to be able to get is selling SHOES!

Buddy: Avoid women directors. They ovulate. Do you have any idea what that does to an three month shoot?

Buddy: I can appreciate this. I felt the same way you do. My bosses were all shit. My jobs sucked. I mean, if you're not a rebel by 21, you've got no heart, and if you haven't gone establishment by 30, you've got not brain.

Buddy: What I am concerned with is detail. I asked you go get me a packet of Sweet-N-Low. You bring me back Equal. That isn't what I asked for. That isn't what I wanted. That isn't what I needed and that shit isn't going to work around here.
Guy: I, I just thought...
Buddy: You thought. Do me a fucking favor. Shut up, listen, and learn. Look, I know that this is your first day and you don't really know how things work around here, so I will tell you. You have no brain. No judgement calls are necessary. What you think means nothing. What you feel means nothing. You are here for me. You are here to protect my interests and to serve my needs. So, while it may look like a little thing to you, when I ask for a packet of Sweet-N-Low, that's what I want. And it's your responsibility to see that I get what I want.

Guy: That's a bagel stain.
Dawn: Bagel stain?
Guy: I put too much cream cheese on Buddy's bagel and he threw it at me. But I learned a very valuable lesson... never put too much cream cheese on Buddy's bagel.

With Kevin Spacey in it, it reminded me of another one I never checked out until it was on dvd, and that was The Big Kahuna. I had never heard of that one until my roomate rented it one night, and that was an awesome movie with some more good Spacey quotes.

Anywho, in this thread, recommend some good movies that a majority of the public has never heard of nor seen. We can all recommend Apocalypse Now, Godfather, Fight Club, The Big Lebowski, et cetera, but I'd like , and am sure the rest of us movie geeks, wouldn't mind hearing some films we've never heard about.
I didn't realize Swimming with Sharks was that obscure.

Freeway was pretty good.
Swimming with Sharks and the Big Kahuna were both quite good.

Not sure how obsucre these are but they are all great:

In the Company of Men
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Eraserhead
Slacker (not Slackers)
Chuck and Buck
Suburbia
Bully
Max
i saw welcome to the dollhouse and chuck and buck.

chuck and buck was disturbing
and welcome to the dollhouse was funny
since you are a Kevin Smith fan, you should see Slacker. It is the movie that inspired Smith to become a filmmaker.
i shall see it
Free Enterprise is another film that I enjoy. I saw it in college, and the characters were perfect descriptions of many of my friends and myself; a bunch of twenty somethings guys that pour over dvds and still go to Toys R Us and collect toys.
Last Time I Commited Suicide - based on letter Neil Cassady wrote to Jack Kerouac. Great movie, great jazz soundtrack, and it's editted in a nice style.
Bully is a really funny movie, it's based on a true story of these bumbling kids who wanna kill this guy who bullies them around. Plus Telly from 'Kids' is in it and plays "The Hitman". Plus the rape scene was pretty hot.

And I thought everyone had seen "swimming with sharks" by now. Buddy is like the Gordon Gekko of Hollywood.
the big kid in bully was the best
I have never seen nor heard any promotion of Swimming with Sharks in theaters nor on television, nor have I heard about it during my four years at school, nor have I heard about it from any of you fiends. Thus, it is obscure.
Quote:nor have I heard about it from any of you fiends

I know it's been discussed here many times, and in fact I think it came up once at the Nazi bar - one night that you were in attendance, I believe.
I WASNT PAYING ATTENTION! ITS FUCKING OBSCURE, STOP DWELLING!
It was one of SLASH's favorite movies, he always quoted it on oa.com
I remember talking about Frank Whaley, and Jays was there - dammit this happened!!
Quote:It was one of SLASH's favorite movies, he always quoted it on oa.com

pfft, try someone whos posts I actually read, next time.
HedCold Wrote:the big kid in bully was the best
YO HE'S SICK MAN, HE TURNED THIS FUCKIN DUDE INTO A BABY!!!!!
I HELPED MOVE THE BODY BECAUSE THAT MAFIA MOTHERFUCKER WAS GONNA BEAT THE SHIT OUTTA ME!
Holy shit! What the fuck's that for?
To kill Bobby, remember?
Oh, yeah.
haha, that kid was good too
Pages: 1 2 3 4