Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool/Strange Opening Acts
Biff's King's X thread made me think of this. Who have you seen as an opening act that later became big? Also, is there an opening act that just seemed to follow you around?

I saw Alice In Chains with Van Halen. Don't remember the year but, it was right before they got really big.

I saw Joan Jett 3 times with various artists and she pretty much sucked every time. Do Ya Wanna Touch....uhm, no! Saw Ted Nugent with Aerosmith and later with Kiss. Also, saw him as the headliner. With Kiss I was wishing Ted would stay on the stage. Got so bored with Kiss that I left early. Ted kicked it.
I saw Maroon 5 open for Matchbox Twenty a few years back when I was in high school. Now my sister is crazy for them, and I remember thinking, "When did they hit it big?"
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
I saw the Dave Matthews band and Blues Traveler as minor bands on minor stages of "lalapaloza" type festival back in the very early 90's. I saw Melissa Etheridge open up for someone (can't even remember who) and was absolutely blown away by her. Not so much of a fan of her, but she was great that night. I have to say the absolute best suprise opening act for me was The Racounteurs!!!! They opened for Bob Dylan in Maine (I bought tix for my husband thinking he would take a friend because even though I love Bobs writing, I can't stand his voice). I didn't even look at who the opening band was, and when I saw Jack White come out on stage I thought I was crazy. It was an AMAZING opening!!! Bob paled in comparison!
Bon Jovi opening for Journey

The Scorpions opening for Ted Nugent

Def Lepard opening for Aerosmith