Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflicker Virus is an April Fool's joke, right?
I'm just assuming it is. I know FB & HW talked about it seriously today and I know it's all over the internet but based on when the information came out I assume it's just a lame April Fool's joke.

Can anyone provide any information one way or the other?
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
From what I've read about conficker (And I haven't really been keeping up), it's the nastiest worm to hit since around 2003-2004, when there was a big series of massive virus outbreaks. There's no telling what kind of payload it's going to fetch tomorrow, but I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being botnet-related, with identity theft sprinkled on top for extra flavoring. $10 says an eastern european country gets mentioned somehow.

Here, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

There are apparently a lot of foreign police and military forces getting owned this time. I'd say the sky is the limit.
Yeah, if the joke is on anyone with the virus on their computer. The virus has been spreading for a long time, Microsoft patched it around October 2008 so if you do automatic updates you shouldn't be affected at all. It sounds a lot like mainly it is going to hit business networks and the like because not many of them do automatic updates and therefore haven't patched the hole the virus is susposed to exploit.

The thing everyone is worried about with this one is that no one knows what it is capable of doing, so no one really knows what to prepare for.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
This suffers from Y2K syndrome in my opinion.

The fact that everything is supposed to hit the fan on APRIL FOOLS DAY, makes me think that it's all a ruse.

Now, if everything really does go crazy tomorrow, I'll eat my words and post humiliating pictures of myself.
Mark the Valet Wrote:Now, if everything really does go crazy tomorrow, I'll eat my words and post humiliating pictures of myself.

So what you're saying is...it will be any other day?
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
They're probably just going to DDOS some corporate websites to blackmail them and get a lot of money. They can't take down the internet, unless they take control of some DoD computers and launch nukes at the core internet routers.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Jiggy Wrote:
Mark the Valet Wrote:Now, if everything really does go crazy tomorrow, I'll eat my words and post humiliating pictures of myself.

So what you're saying is...it will be any other day?

Pretty much yeah.

Edit: [Image: DSC00903.jpg]
^that's our mercenary? Really? I mean come on.......great we are soooooo screwed...
Also, this did happen, nothing bad has been done yet:

On Wednesday, a master computer gained control of an estimated 5 million "zombie" PCs infected with the worm, experts said.

Conficker's motive is probably financial, they said. The worm's author could steal financial information, shut down Web pages, track keystrokes or send spam from infected computers.

"They have full administrative-level rights to run anything they want on all of the infected machines," said Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer for F-Secure, an Internet security company.

They pretty much have control of the world's largest BotNet and could do almost anything they wanted with it anytime in the future as long as all those computers remain infected.
0rz0ski Wrote:They're probably just going to DDOS some corporate websites to blackmail them and get a lot of money. They can't take down the internet, unless they take control of some DoD computers and launch nukes at the core internet routers.

Three words: Border Gateway Protocol.
Well guys, it's well into April 1st and looks like YOU'VE ALL BEEN HAD.
Thanks for playing.
Mark the Valet Wrote:Well guys, it's well into April 1st and looks like YOU'VE ALL BEEN HAD.
Thanks for playing.

All the tech articles I read stated that it quietly grabbed new instructions and didn't make any waves. I think the big reason it got hyped so much is because it's been a few years since a worm spread as quickly.
Mark the Valet Wrote:
Jiggy Wrote:So what you're saying is...it will be any other day?

Pretty much yeah.

Edit: [Image: DSC00903.jpg]

Mark, I would like to say, you are an awesome photo op fiend. I wish I could have met you while you were in Nashville. I hope you are being a good influence on that brother of yours.
nachash Wrote:
Mark the Valet Wrote:Well guys, it's well into April 1st and looks like YOU'VE ALL BEEN HAD.
Thanks for playing.

All the tech articles I read stated that it quietly grabbed new instructions and didn't make any waves. I think the big reason it got hyped so much is because it's been a few years since a worm spread as quickly.

Yeah, from what I read as far as tech articles, none of the tech people actually thought they would do anything with what they gained on April 1st.

Basically it just executed a code that allows the hackers control of every computer that is infected to do whatever they want with at the admin level. Most of the tech experts have said they don't actually expect any attack until the hype is gone for a while and it is good and unexpected (which is how most viruses operate if they are any good, or smart for that matter, strike when it isn't expected and being watched as closely.)
zdunklee Wrote:
nachash Wrote:All the tech articles I read stated that it quietly grabbed new instructions and didn't make any waves. I think the big reason it got hyped so much is because it's been a few years since a worm spread as quickly.

Yeah, from what I read as far as tech articles, none of the tech people actually thought they would do anything with what they gained on April 1st.

Basically it just executed a code that allows the hackers control of every computer that is infected to do whatever they want with at the admin level. Most of the tech experts have said they don't actually expect any attack until the hype is gone for a while and it is good and unexpected (which is how most viruses operate if they are any good, or smart for that matter, strike when it isn't expected and being watched as closely.)

That still didn't stop the AV companies from bragging. Those guys are going to shamelessly promote themselves every chance they get.
That's why I use a free one, they have no reason to brag cause they aren't making money off of me.
Looks like it is finally starting to do something (that something most likely being trying to steal the identity of whoever uses the infected computer)...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/04/09/conficker.activated/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/04/09/conf ... index.html</a><!-- m -->