Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law Question
I drive for work. My choices for comuting are my bike (40mpg) or my Ram (14mpg) So ofcourse I want to ride the bike when I can. Now my employer is dictaing that I can't ride the bike due to liability.

My question for any lawyer folks is can they state what I can and can't drive? I have full coverage on the bike so if anything were to happen it would be covered. The only variable is workman's comp. There was an incident where a girl in a very similar job got in an accident in her car resulting in a dislocated shoulder...workman's comp didn't cover it as it was her vehicle eventhough it was on company time.

So I say, if workman's comp isn't going to cover my injuries while i drive for work, why does it matter what vehicle i'm on?
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I drive for work. My choices for comuting are my bike (40mpg) or my Ram (14mpg) So ofcourse I want to ride the bike when I can. Now my employer is dictaing that I can't ride the bike due to liability.

My question for any lawyer folks is can they state what I can and can't drive? I have full coverage on the bike so if anything were to happen it would be covered. The only variable is workman's comp. There was an incident where a girl in a very similar job got in an accident in her car resulting in a dislocated shoulder...workman's comp didn't cover it as it was her vehicle eventhough it was on company time.

So I say, if workman's comp isn't going to cover my injuries while i drive for work, why does it matter what vehicle i'm on?

If driving is part of your job I thinkyour employer does have some say in what vehicle you can drive, but they also have a responsibility to compensate you for mileage.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I drive for work. My choices for comuting are my bike (40mpg) or my Ram (14mpg) So ofcourse I want to ride the bike when I can. Now my employer is dictaing that I can't ride the bike due to liability.

If driving is part of your job I thinkyour employer does have some say in what vehicle you can drive, but they also have a responsibility to compensate you for mileage.

they compensate for my milage...but up until recently milage for bikes was less...now they're equal. I just want to make sure that they can tell me I can't ride my bike. Sometimes I work for a bunch of Ham 'n' eggers. You'd think a company with "Conservation" in it's title would be all for a motorcycle over an empty, un-utilized, truck running down the road.

what do i know
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:If driving is part of your job I thinkyour employer does have some say in what vehicle you can drive, but they also have a responsibility to compensate you for mileage.

they compensate for my milage...but up until recently milage for bikes was less...now they're equal. I just want to make sure that they can tell me I can't ride my bike. Sometimes I work for a bunch of Ham 'n' eggers. You'd think a company with "Conservation" in it's title would be all for a motorcycle over an empty, un-utilized, truck running down the road.

what do i know

you have my permission to ride your bike.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:they compensate for my milage...but up until recently milage for bikes was less...now they're equal. I just want to make sure that they can tell me I can't ride my bike. Sometimes I work for a bunch of Ham 'n' eggers. You'd think a company with "Conservation" in it's title would be all for a motorcycle over an empty, un-utilized, truck running down the road.

what do i know

you have my permission to ride your bike.

awesome...I'll let them know!
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:you have my permission to ride your bike.

awesome...I'll let them know!

I was a manager for Aldi grocery store back in 98 and I used to ride my bike (pedals) to work. The district manager told me that I was a liability to the company because I would be too tired to work, and that it would be easy for a robber to abduct me since I wasn't in a car.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:awesome...I'll let them know!

I was a manager for Aldi grocery store back in 98 and I used to ride my bike (pedals) to work. The district manager told me that I was a liability to the company because I would be too tired to work, and that it would be easy for a robber to abduct me since I wasn't in a car.

ha what a tool
Unfortunately there is no requirement for organizations to reimburse employees for personal vehicle use but most government organizations have decent mileage reimbursement policies. That's why the government allows you to take that as a deduction on your taxes. I'm guessing you work for a government organization such as County or State and they may have a policy restricting personal vehicle use on government time. A few states have policies restricting the use of motorcycles for official use. This policy may have been in effect when the girl you worked with was in her accident and workers comp may not have covered it since it was a violation of official policy. Otherwise I would think they should have covered it.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Either that or your bosses are jack asses.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
I work for attorneys and they say that an employer cannot tell you what to drive. Plain and simple.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
dino Wrote:Unfortunately there is no requirement for organizations to reimburse employees for personal vehicle use but most government organizations have decent mileage reimbursement policies. That's why the government allows you to take that as a deduction on your taxes. I'm guessing you work for a government organization such as County or State and they may have a policy restricting personal vehicle use on government time. A few states have policies restricting the use of motorcycles for official use. This policy may have been in effect when the girl you worked with was in her accident and workers comp may not have covered it since it was a violation of official policy. Otherwise I would think they should have covered it.

ignore the girly story...i didn't have my facts straight when i posted it.

what's happeneing is i work for a farm consulting type state entity. I cary very little equipment and my farmers don't mind so why not ride my bike i say....the bosses that be for me said that for liablity issues I can't ride my bike for work... I just wanted to make sure that it was legal for them to dictate what vehicle I used when driving for work.

After a little research and some answers on here it appears they're not in the wrong....legally...while i still think its bull.

This just means that if I ride the bike TO work when it's an office day I can't take any appts that day... and if the customer asks why I'll just refer them to my supervisor for the policy.

thanks for the replies.
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:ignore the girly story...i didn't have my facts straight when i posted it.

what's happeneing is i work for a farm consulting type state entity. I cary very little equipment and my farmers don't mind so why not ride my bike i say....the bosses that be for me said that for liablity issues I can't ride my bike for work... I just wanted to make sure that it was legal for them to dictate what vehicle I used when driving for work.

Why didn't you say you worked for the State . . . the State can pretty much tell you anything thanks for the GTLA.
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie Wrote:thanks for the GTLA.
Gay Teachers of Los Angeles ??? ???
Quote of the Day:
dino Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:thanks for the GTLA.
Gay Teachers of Los Angeles ??? ???

Governmental Tort Liability Act