Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Players and Rock Band/Guitar Hero
We all know bass players are lame because they suck too much to play guitar. And those of us who play Guitar Hero/Rock Band are lame because we can't play guitar, either. But who is the most lame?
The people who play guitar hero aren't pretending to be real musicians, they're just having fun goofing around and playing a video game.
Well the only person that's a bassist that I think is not lame at all is Les Claypool...he's the Jimi Hendrix of bass. As far as Guitar Hero/Rock Band, me being a guitarist myself, I find those game as being fun as anything. You can make the argument that people are good at that game may not be guitarists at all but have great coordination. Now, think of those people who play games like Madden, does that mean they're great football players 'cause they know how to make moves and such? To me, I say it's a push....
Les Claypool is ridiculously amazing! Him and P-Nut from 311!!!! Good Call man!
Great points made! I think I fall under a whole other category: Lame person who can't play bass or guitar...and who can only rock out on Easy in the games. As for Madden, I'm not a fan of it for several, and some of them pretty dumb, reasons.

And I enjoyed reading your post. I have an appreciation for well written and punctuated statements.
at least a guitar hero / rockband player is cool at a party where that is being played. a bass player is never cool.
I hear the new guitar hero is also going to feature a bass option...

If you're going to play bass in guitar hero, you might as well just kill yourself.
Jaco Pastorius

John Myung

Victor Wooten

Oteil Burbridge

Put those names in YouTube and then tell me bass players suck.

As for Guitar Hero, Rockband, it's only good for somewhat getting a feel of what it's like to play music. If you are good enough to play those games on expert, you should be playing a real instrument. It's not that hard to learn and increases your chances of getting laid.
Victor Wooten is also a genius I would agree Wink
peytonwqlz Wrote:Les Claypool is ridiculously amazing! Him and P-Nut from 311!!!! Good Call man!

I think Les is the best bass player ever, he's got some skill
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Come on, guys... Geddy Lee... I believe he even taught Les how to play.

And any musician that knows anything about group dynamics will tell you that a bass player helps solidify the sound of a song, talentless or not...

Now if you want a bass player that has absolutely -no- talent whatsoever, listen to a System Of A Down song... Their bass player plays about 4 different notes in a single song.
brobot Wrote:Their bass player plays about 4 different notes in a single song.
You can't blame him for that. The bass guitar only has one string, so there's a very limited number of possible notes. Why single him out?
Zig Wrote:You can't blame him for that. The bass guitar only has one string, so there's a very limited number of possible notes. Why single him out?

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm because it would be scary if it wasn't :\
I'm a guitarist and I can tell you that being a good bassist is more difficult than being a good guitar player. Now if you're a bass player in a band like "Blink 182" then you fit every stereotype out there and probably have little talent. However if you're a bass player in any blues or blues based band then you have to be good because they have to lay a foundation (along with the drums).

Bobby Dahl = mediocre
John Paul Jones = outstanding
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:I'm a guitarist and I can tell you that being a good bassist is more difficult than being a good guitar player. Now if you're a bass player in a band like "Blink 182" then you fit every stereotype out there and probably have little talent. However if you're a bass player in any blues or blues based band then you have to be good because they have to lay a foundation (along with the drums).

Bobby Dahl = mediocre
John Paul Jones = outstanding

Awesome, you play guitar too huh?

I wonder how many musicians are there on this site?
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Les Claypool sets up the entire band
Primus as a whole was just extraordinary musicians. One of the reasons they're great was that Les held down the main riff on his bass while the guitar player could be free to do crazy solos and melodies... The drummer was also a human metronome.

I was sad when they broke up, then oh-so happy when they got back together. Seeing them at Rothbury Big Grin
Bass players provide the foundation for a song like how concrete provides the foundation for a house. The comparison works on multiple levels, seeing as how any bass player will have equivalent levels of talent, intelligence, and personality to a block of concrete.
dino Wrote:Awesome, you play guitar too huh?

The other loves of my life:

http://www.talonse.com/guitars.jpg
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I also play guitar... and bass... and violin... and piano...
Zig Wrote:Bass players provide the foundation for a song like how concrete provides the foundation for a house. The comparison works on multiple levels, seeing as how any bass player will have equivalent levels of talent, intelligence, and personality to a block of concrete.

Finally someone gets it
Admin Wrote:
dino Wrote:Awesome, you play guitar too huh?

The other loves of my life:

I have a very similar gold top (2001 Standard, 50's neck) except it looks like you have seymour duncan pick ups.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
dino Wrote:
Admin Wrote:The other loves of my life:

I have a very similar gold top (2001 Standard, 50's neck) except it looks like you have seymour duncan pick ups.

59's in both positions. I may eventually replace the bridge 59 to a JB as the 59 doesn't have as much bite as I'd like. The 59 in the neck is pure honey.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:
dino Wrote:
59's in both positions. I may eventually replace the bridge 59 to a JB as the 59 doesn't have as much bite as I'd like. The 59 in the neck is pure honey.

I bet that'll sound awesome.
Quote of the Day:
dino Wrote:
Admin Wrote:59's in both positions. I may eventually replace the bridge 59 to a JB as the 59 doesn't have as much bite as I'd like. The 59 in the neck is pure honey.

I bet that'll sound awesome.

That is how the Mockingbird is set up. The neck is just a bit long on that beast which makes it difficult for me to play power chords on the first 3 frets. However it's a neck thru and sustains for days.

I'd like to sell it but I'd never get the money out of it that I put into it.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Zig Wrote:You can't blame him for that. The bass guitar only has one string, so there's a very limited number of possible notes. Why single him out?

I hope you were being sarcastic about the bass guitar only having one string......
toki Wrote:

I hope you were being sarcastic about the bass guitar only having one string......

Well if he was talking about the band Presidents of the USA hes almost right...they had 2 strings on the bass.

I am not a full time bass player (im really a guitarist and drummer), but when i rock out on a bass i do prefer a 5 string to a 4 or 6 string.