Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Rapids Construction
So, got a lot of construction going on.

1. East Beltline and Woodlawn Mall
2. Corner of Lake Dr SE and the East Beltline
3. I-196 b/w M6 and Grand Rapids

So, I was thinking, post your construction locations/gripes here, and does anyone know when any of those are supposed to be complete?
196 in Grandville/M-6 really blows, and I go that way a lot. They're saying that construction is going through next summer because they have to replace the overpasses over Chicago Drive.
That is the construction where they are making the detour that goes from there to US-31 north of Muskegon, right?
I take I-196 to work through the construction to get to and home from work everyday. I'm only on for about a minute, but I get on where the construction starts, and get off right before it ends, which sucks. To work isn't bad because there are 2 lanes, but the way home takes forever because there's only one lane. I get on 196 off of 44th/Rivertown. Merging usually isn't a problem, but every so often there's some a-hole that won't let me merge so I have to come to a complete stop and wait a few minutes for traffic to clear completely.
Derek Wrote:That is the construction where they are making the detour that goes from there to US-31 north of Muskegon, right?

No, they are putting an exit on Westbound (and maybe Eastbound?) that goes directly to Baldwin so that everybody doesn't have to get off at Chicago Drive and make the right on Main. It'll be nice when it's done but it blows right now.
Does anyone know about the grand haven bypass / route to North of muskegon, or when that is supposed to start?
Southbound 131 really bugs me, at the one lane squeeze with no shoulder and a giant cement call on one side of the lane. It's freaky. I hope they are going to be done with that soon. It 's a mess during traffic time. I drive to traverse city frequently so coming back always takes longer because of the freeway construction Sad
Knapp being closed makes me go all the way around to get to celebration. I used to cut through the dirt but I saw a cop pull someone over in there a couple days ago, so I won't be trying again.
dudeshadoway Wrote:196 in Grandville/M-6 really blows, and I go that way a lot. They're saying that construction is going through next summer because they have to replace the overpasses over Chicago Drive.

Thankfully I only had to put up with that for a week. Once I got married, I moved into GR, and was able to avoid that mess completely.
Kalamazoo being closed north of 60th is a major pain in my rear right now.
yeah, the whole thing in grandville blows, but from the looks of it, it'll be a lot nicer for getting off at chi-drive.
They're also working on the shoulder of Lake Michigan Drive going east right before 196, so sometimes during the day it's down to one lane :Smile
Just saw that this evening on my way to the Humane Society. Glad I was going in the direction that had two lanes open.
28th st between US131 & Divison sucks so much. i saw 4 guys standing watching 1 guy workin. but does that really surprise any one?
it's about time they added a middle lane to lake michigan before 196. i hated people turning left and holding up EVERYONE.
The construction on 196 is supposed to be done by November....but that's if everything goes well and on-time....I hate it because it adds about 10 min to my travels to Holland when I work. Plus the weekend lane closures on the 196 business loop in Holland are SOOO much fun....adds to my ever growing road rage.
Do what's right....even when no one is looking.
And then next spring, the fun starts all over on 196 in Jenison, as they'll be doing work on the opposite direction of the highway.
michigan's great seasons....winter, and road construction
Do what's right....even when no one is looking.
potthole Wrote:Kalamazoo being closed north of 60th is a major pain in my rear right now.

Yeah that one chaps my ass, it seems like every single GD time I leave my house I have to deal with that.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
potthole Wrote:Kalamazoo being closed north of 60th is a major pain in my rear right now.

Yeah that one chaps my ass, it seems like every single GD time I leave my house I have to deal with that.

Stay home and surf this board all day. Tell your boss that it's okay because Biff Mayhem gave you permission.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
We'll try it tomorrow Biff. When i get fired, you have another job for me Tongue
COLLEGE NORTH OF I-196!

I live about a block north of 196 just off College... right now they have the RR crossing bridge torn up so you can exit onto college but you can't go North on it past Hastings.

I have to take Hastings to Lafeyette North to Cedar than over to college. It only adds about three minutes to my drive but it still pisses me off because I can practically see my house from the freeway but it's just out of reach
Admin Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Yeah that one chaps my ass, it seems like every single GD time I leave my house I have to deal with that.

Stay home and surf this board all day. Tell your boss that it's okay because Biff Mayhem gave you permission.

I am my boss, but when I told him he told me to tell you to shut up and get back to work.
Wowie Groovie !