Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two words: Online shopping.
Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

BY JOE GOULD
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Updated Friday, November 28th 2008, 12:31 PM
Farriella for News

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

The unidentified victim was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m., police said.

The cause of death wasn't immediately available pending results of an autopsy.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the mad rush. She was hospitalized for observation, police said. Early witness accounts that the woman suffered a miscarriage were unfounded, police said.

Three other shoppers suffered minor injuries, cops said.

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008...after.html
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
They're Long Islanders, said FBHW listener Khef, 37 . It's no surprise, it's Long Island.
That's a sick story. That's why I no longer partake.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Nothing like that happened here....but you're right this is a sick world. Anyone who can witness something like that and not step in to help is a coward.
not just trampled to death. trampled to death by people eager to shop at walmart.
"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

This is probably the saddest part of the story to me. On the same note I saw they were talking about it on CNN today with a couple lawyers. One of the lawyers automatically starts pointing the finger at Wal-Mart and ,get this...the local police? You MAY be able to make some case out of Wal-Mart sharing partial responsibility but the police? I love today's world as far as our technological advances but sometimes I wish so badly we could go back to a time when people did less finger pointing and accepted personal responsibility.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
You said it. What happened to just saying I effed up, my fault and I'm sorry. What the hell happened this year? Black Friday has been around for awhile now, I thought people knew how to behave out in public? Someone's looking for a quick buck... Undecided
I fail to see how the police would be at any fault here. It'd be one thing if Walmart had notified them of the impending situation (which would've been a good idea) and the police failed to do anything, but I don't think (but am not sure) that's the case.
It simply boils down to the fact the most municipalities don't want to be involved in a long-term court battle, especially one that involves a citizen's death.. so they settle, and the lawyer and plaintiff make a quick buck.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
You could say that would be why you never ever see me in a store on Black Friday. I value my sanity. People do insane things on that day. I wonder if any of the mob has any remorse. Pity, the workers life was worth more than what they were trying to get.
Well, yeah.. It's WalMart. As for people having remorse.. it's possible. But I think the majority of them will make themselves feel better by saying they never saw him and if they did, they would've done something to help. No one wants to take responsibility for much these days, especially another human being's death.
Imray_Pinasheep Wrote:Well, yeah.. It's WalMart. As for people having remorse.. it's possible. But I think the majority of them will make themselves feel better by saying they never saw him and if they did, they would've done something to help. No one wants to take responsibility for much these days, especially another human being's death.

How can a person say you didn't see him? The doors are glass, they have been waiting for someone to come open it. I don't care if they have the cure for Cancer waiting on the self for a penny, some dignity please. They need to admit they saw him and acknowledge they are worthless for not being civil and pay his family.
In a perfect world maybe. But not in a million years is anyone going to offer to pay his family. "yeah, I may have helped trampled your son to death so here's my savings and 401K...good luck and I am sooooo sorry I'm a worthless dick."
your momma Wrote:In a perfect world maybe. But not in a million years is anyone going to offer to pay his family. "yeah, I may have helped trampled your son to death so here's my savings and 401K...good luck and I am sooooo sorry I'm a worthless dick."

Very true, but in a perfect world this would have never happened. People would be crazy to get this stupid. Materialization at it's worst.