Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lions 0-16?
You know it's bad when Joe F'n Harrington feels bad for them.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.as...8&catid=14

Ex-Lion Joey Harrington feels bad for city, team

(DETROIT FREE PRESS) - "Jo-ey! Jo-ey!"

The irony was not lost on him. The Lions drafted him third overall in 2002, and after he went 18-37 as their starting quarterback, they traded him in the spring of '06. But the Lions have won only 10 games since he left, and the once-mighty auto industry is on its knees.

"It's weird to think that I was here in the heyday," said Harrington, New Orleans' third-string QB, after the Saints' 42-7 win sank the Lions to 0-15. "With everything with the automakers, I want something good to happen to the city, and if it's the Lions, then great. This city deserves something good to happen to it."

Harrington said he took no perverse pleasure in watching the Lions suffer.

"No, absolutely not," said Harrington, who led the Dolphins to a 27-10 victory over the Lions on Thanksgiving in 2006, throwing three touchdown passes. "When I came back with Miami and won on Thanksgiving, that one felt really good to me. But this is different.

"There's still a couple guys I stay in touch with on the team, and you never like to see anybody go through this. There's absolutely no satisfaction in something like this."

Harrington spoke to center Dominic Raiola and defensive end Jared DeVries on the field after the game.

He used to talk about the negative environment in Detroit. On Sunday, he pointed out how anger had turned to apathy.

He referenced the "Orange out" game against Cincinnati in 2005 and the protests of president Matt Millen, whom owner William Clay Ford fired three games into this season.

The Lions have failed to sell out five of their past six home games, and Sunday's announced crowd of 49,309 was the second-smallest since Ford Field opened in 2002.

"It has changed a little bit, though," Harrington said. "The difference between when I was here and what it is right now, people still came to the games my last year here. They came in orange shirts and signs to fire Millen. Now it just looks like they don't come, and if they do come, they come with signs to hire Millen.

"Like I said from the start, I want something good to happen to this city. It's a city of good people, and nobody deserves to go through this on or off the field."
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza

Messages In This Thread