Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NHL Playoffs
plumpenut Wrote:
Titan! Wrote:Okay, so we talked about this a little bit at dinner tonight. But I'll throw it out there for the rest of you.

Growing up in Northern Indiana I had pretty much zero exposure to hockey. However, I have really enjoyed watching the Red Wings these last couple of weeks.

Here's a few questions form a hockey newbie

What is Icing ?

Who gets credit for scoring the Peng's goal in game 2 ?

If fighting is allowed, what are penalties given for ?

and, I've always wondered, why dont NHL Teams hire one of those sure super huge fat guys, and just plop them down in front of the goal ? There are peopl who are fat enough to easily block the entire net, so why not ?

Go Wings ! Beat the Philedelphia Penguins !

well lets see what I can answer for you here.
Icing happens when one team shoots the puck from inside their blue line all the way to the other end of the ice, and hits the wall,without someone on their team touching it. The opposing team has to touch it first for it to be icing. Then the faceoff will happen inside the team that committed the icing's zone. Also when there is a power play the team that is a man down can shoot the puck all the way down without fear of getting called for icing.
As for the goal, I didnt see it but Im gonna guess the last guy to touch it, or whoever was nearby.
Fighting happens to keep people in line so the stars are not always getting pounded. Yeah thats as much as I care to know about hockey I think

Well you almost had icing right, it is actually when the puck crosses two red lines (normally the center line and the goalline) without being touched by the team that did the passing and then it is touched by an opposing player. It doesn't actually have to hit the boards, just go across the goalline and be touched by the opposing team: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_(ice_hockey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_(ice_hockey</a><!-- m -->)

Fighting is somewhat allowed, it is a 5 minute major penalty . Also if it happens like it did tonight there is usually a game misconduct given out that puts you out for the rest of the game. This happend with Malkin because he continued to fight after the official tried to end the fight.

Here is a basic breakdown as to why Malkin should be suspened for the next game, but he won't be:
The rulebooks of the NHL and other professional leagues contain specific rules for fighting. These rules state that at the initiation of a fight, both players must drop their sticks so as not to use them as a weapon. Players must also "drop" or shake off their protective gloves in order to fight bare-knuckled (essentially, "throwing down the gauntlet"), as the hard leather and plastic of hockey gloves would increase the effect of landed blows. Players must also heed a referee warning to end a fight once the opponents have been separated. Failure to adhere to any of these rules results in an immediate game misconduct penalty and the possibility of fines and suspension from future games.[13]

In many leagues, linesmen will permit a fight between two players to run its course until one or both players end up on the ice. Linesmen will actively try to break up fights involving more than two participants or multiple fights.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."

Messages In This Thread