Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I a coward?
So, a friend of the family is dying. And it's bad. She's so close to the family that we all call her Aunt. She's 80 or 90, I don't remember.

Her entire life is basically her and Uncle, traveling around the country, collecting semiprecious gemstones and making them into jewelry. They owned a campground, and had enough adventures for 3 lifetimes worth of stories.

Then Aunt fell, and spent a long time recovering. It hit her hard that she couldn't move around anymore. They moved into a nursing home, they hated it. Called it their prison. He ended up dying there about 8 months ago. It killed him to live there, away from Lake Michigan, where people fed him horrible food, and played bingo all of the time. He lost his freedom, it killed his spirit.

She's in the same boat. The love of her life is gone. She's given up. My mom went down yesterday. She's not eating, she's only drinking water. She fell again, and is bedridden, catheters and everything. She didn't open her eyes to even look at Mom.

Mike asked if I wanted to visit her, and I said no, and I feel like a coward. Am I a coward for not going? I saw my grandpa, in a coma, a day before he died, and that fucking changed me, and I wasn't even that close to my grandpa. I don't want to go see her because I don't want to remember her like that. I'd prefer to remember her happy, living in Ludington with Uncle, not old, hopeless, and dying.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Messages In This Thread