Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I a coward?
I can only speak from my own experience-I was always close to my grandmother, who despite being 93 years old the last time I saw her, still had all her marbles and could hold a conversation as well as anyone, although her body was crippled. I emmigrated to the States from my native England, and wasn't able to get back home before she died-my mother told me that she degenerated to the point where she didn't know anybody, and was almost childlike in her mannerisms. She had always been so strong and selfless in her attitude-'What can't be cured must be endured' was one of her favorite sayings-made more poingnant by the fact that she was in constant crippling pain from arthritis and could barely walk. So the idea of her becoming so dependant, and being unable to recognise her loved ones was anaethema to me, and I have never regretted not going to see her in that state, preferring to remember her as she really was. But it's subjective, and you should definately let your concience be your guide, as you can't go back and fix it later. Be sure of your motives beforehand, then make the best decision you can.
My $.02 for what it's worth.
Have you considered taking longer?

Messages In This Thread