Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama
hotzester Wrote:My approach to stuff like this is simple.

Am I offended by the statement? No. What I'm offended by is the hypocrisy. If I said something similar about a black man, I'd be labeled. If I said something about a Democrat, I'd be called out on it.

I'm not insulted by the statement, I'm insulted by the lack of any response.
i guess i just don't understand the point of...
...not being offended personally...
...but being offended...
...that nobody else was offended personally.

that's the only reason someone would say something to begin with, right? and the lack of that is what you're riled up about? you're mad that no one else is mad, but if a bunch of other people were mad, you'd be fine?

Allyson Wrote:HZ I agree with you 100%.

However I am also a bit offended. He said he prays for the day when blacks will not be asked to get in back ... um, hellooo? We just inaugurated our first Halfrican American, and you're still waiting for blacks to not be asked to get in back? And it's time for whites to start acting right? Really? How about everybody starts acting right, because in my humble opinion whites have been trying extremely hard to make up for what their ancestors may or may not have done.

/rant

you just solved hotzester's problem, but if i took what he (the old man) said as serious as you, i'd have stroked out by now. i honestly think it was supposed to be half-joking. he's a harmless babbling old man.

call me uncool, i just don't care enough to be mad over something some guy said about different skin colors. i don't hear "white" and think "me." i didn't grow up in an environment where that identity was drilled into my head. but i can't tell other people what they can and can't be offended by.

my approach is even simpler: if it doesn't affect me, i let it go. it's a lot easier on the blood pressure.

...i've already stopped caring.
No no. What insults me is that the people who would attack ME for making a similar comment, aren't recognizing the hypocrisy in their lack of consistency.

The double standard insults me, not the statement.
I think that statements like this enable members of the black community who wallow in poverty an excuse to do so. It's easier to be a victim when there is a perception of someone to blame.

Ignorance will cease to exist when it is no longer enabled. Just look to the dwindling members of the KKK for an example.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I think the reason there is a race issue still today is because people like this old guy keep making it a race issue.

We (my generation)are far enough removed from the civil war and slaves that there should be very little racisim (I think) but if old guys that grew up in the 50's and 60's keep on picking the scab then it will never heal.

I feel like slavery is being held over my head only so that i will feel bad for it.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I think the reason there is a race issue still today is because people like this old guy keep making it a race issue.

We (my generation)are far enough removed from the civil war and slaves that there should be very little racisim (I think) but if old guys that grew up in the 50's and 60's keep on picking the scab then it will never heal.

I feel like slavery is being held over my head only so that i will feel bad for it.

8-) 8-) 8-)
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Well stick with me, Allyson. Once we start dishing out that sweet ass reparation candy, I'll cut you in on some of my stake, since my ancestors came to this country as indentured servants.

Sure, he was a white dude, but if the issue is slavery and not race, then we should be good.
hotzester Wrote:Well stick with me, Allyson. Once we start dishing out that sweet ass reparation candy, I'll cut you in on some of my stake, since my ancestors came to this country as indentured servants.

Sure, he was a white dude, but if the issue is slavery and not race, then we should be good.

how about me with my Native American ancestry? I should trump all you a-holes! ;D
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Yeah you can get some too, but you're qualified for your own.
Aw thanks HZ but I won't need your cut. You see, I'm quitting my job and having babies for a living.
That's what she said.
hotzester Wrote:Well stick with me, Allyson. Once we start dishing out that sweet ass reparation candy, I'll cut you in on some of my stake, since my ancestors came to this country as indentured servants.

Don't worry once Obama steals all the money from the rich we will all be living comfortable.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
dingdongyo Wrote:
hotzester Wrote:My approach to stuff like this is simple.

Am I offended by the statement? No. What I'm offended by is the hypocrisy. If I said something similar about a black man, I'd be labeled. If I said something about a Democrat, I'd be called out on it.

I'm not insulted by the statement, I'm insulted by the lack of any response.
i guess i just don't understand the point of...
...not being offended personally...
...but being offended...
...that nobody else was offended personally.

that's the only reason someone would say something to begin with, right? and the lack of that is what you're riled up about? you're mad that no one else is mad, but if a bunch of other people were mad, you'd be fine?

Allyson Wrote:HZ I agree with you 100%.

However I am also a bit offended. He said he prays for the day when blacks will not be asked to get in back ... um, hellooo? We just inaugurated our first Halfrican American, and you're still waiting for blacks to not be asked to get in back? And it's time for whites to start acting right? Really? How about everybody starts acting right, because in my humble opinion whites have been trying extremely hard to make up for what their ancestors may or may not have done.

/rant

you just solved hotzester's problem, but if i took what he (the old man) said as serious as you, i'd have stroked out by now. i honestly think it was supposed to be half-joking. he's a harmless babbling old man.

call me uncool, i just don't care enough to be mad over something some guy said about different skin colors. i don't hear "white" and think "me." i didn't grow up in an environment where that identity was drilled into my head. but i can't tell other people what they can and can't be offended by.

my approach is even simpler: if it doesn't affect me, i let it go. it's a lot easier on the blood pressure.

...i've already stopped caring.

I have to say i pretty much agree with dingdong here.

I am not black, but everyone is seriously trying to act like racism doesn't exist anymore but just the fact that this conversation is even happening shoots down the very point you are trying to make. I am only 27 and throughout my teens in high school and after, I have seen plenty of situations where racism against blacks has happened. I have grown up in a very mixed neighborhood and have seen it.

Only 2 years ago by were a friend lives I have seen 1 black family move into a neighborhood that was all white. In a matter of months I started to see a bunch of for sale signs, and heard neighbors complaining about them, when they were actually decent people.

I don't want to hear people speaking as if blacks aren't treated differently because a lot of times they still are.

The same goes for women, the very stats of women in the workplace and male equals making more money or the fact that there are few women higher up in companies, and things like this.

There is discrimination everywhere, weather it be for your race, age, sex, religion or sexual preference.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I'd like to see the person saying racism doesn't exist. So if you're that person, could you please step forward into the light so I can see your face?

OF COURSE racism exists. It's disgusting, but it's a reality. The point of this discussion isn't whether or not racism is real. We're talking about whether the comments "whites can do what's right" (to paraphrase) was a racist statement.

Welcome aboard.

EDIT:

To further expound on the subject at hand, we're also saying that just because one race says something involving another race, that isn't inherently racism. Hate or disdain for someone based on race is racism. Treating someone differently (better OR worse) is racism.

I don't at all feel insulted by the comments made by the Reverend yesterday. Again, what insults me is that few are standing up to call him out on it. Those who do are essentially accused of being right wing extremists who just don't understand the plight of the black man. THAT is what offends me.
Plain and simple, sometimes it feels as if white people are having to apologize for all racism, like we invented the idea or something. I knew a hispanic guy that has said more nasty things about black people than any white person I know.

I'm 100% on board with HZ. It's not the comments that are offensive but the hypocrisy in the comment. Yes, racism still exists....by EVERYONE. We are all, as a people, to blame. I guess that's human nature though. We cast aside what we find different from ourselves. I hope in the next couple generations as the civil rights generation passes so does this notion of blame and guilt.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
okay i misunderstood something because i didn't notice it was about something said by reverend. This makes even less sense then. You get offended and annoyed by an ignorant comment made by some idiot probably trying to make a name for himself by saying such things. Look at all the idiots that the black community as a whole are ashamed of. Jessie Jackson, Sharpton, and so on. This guy falls into the same league as those idiots. anyone who really cares for what they have to say are usually ignored because no one cares, and for the most part the rest of the world just ignore them because they are just blabbing to hear themselves speak, complaining about what these bozos have to say does nothing but accomplish what they wanted to do.
Philly Mike Wrote:okay i misunderstood something because i didn't notice it was about something said by reverend. This makes even less sense then. You get offended and annoyed by an ignorant comment made by some ambulance driver probably trying to make a name for himself by saying such things. Look at all the ambulance drivers that the black community as a whole are ashamed of. Jessie Jackson, Sharpton, and so on. This guy falls into the same league as those ambulance drivers. anyone who really cares for what they have to say are usually ignored because no one cares, and for the most part the rest of the world just ignore them because they are just blabbing to hear themselves speak, complaining about what these bozos have to say does nothing but accomplish what they wanted to do.

One need look no further than Bill Cosby. Jackson, Sharpton, and Jeremiah Wright are barely noteworthy with their race baiting et al but the minute Cosby calls for some accountability he gets labeled an "Uncle Tom" etc.

I'd bet my mortgage that there is more racism in the black community than the white.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I think that what you are failing to see is that this "bozo" was hand selected by Obama to make this speech. To all the people who say maybe he didn't know he was going to say that, this is a very important event watched by hundreds of millions of people. There is no way someone would go on that podium and say something without prior knowledge of Obama or at least someone in his staff.

Someone mentioned earlier about him choosing to start his administration in this light. That is the point.
Philly Mike Wrote:You get offended and annoyed by an ignorant comment made by some ambulance driver probably trying to make a name for himself by saying such things.

Reverand Lowery founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957 together with Martin Luther King, JR. and subsequently led the organization as its president from 1977 to 1997. He's already made a name for himself.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Right. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was just some guy on a random day but it wasn't. It was the reverend chosen by our new [half white] President to give the benediction prayer at the end of the inauguration. That is a big deal.
That's what she said.
Quote:You get offended and annoyed by an ignorant comment made by some ambulance driver probably trying to make a name for himself by saying such things. Look at all the ambulance drivers that the black community as a whole are ashamed of.

I don't think I can possibly explain to you any more that this isn't the point. I want to give you benefit of the doubt based simply on the fact that you have an avatar referencing Army of Darkness. (This is my boomstick!) But I can't do it anymore. I've said, time and time again, that it's not the statement that is offensive. It's the hypocrisy. Write it down or something.

By the way, say ambulance driver more.
Is it racist when I tell people to 'Stay Black' ?

when I'm white and they're white
i have been reading along, not really interested in arguing any more. but i'm getting mixed up. it seems like a bunch different questions are getting roped in together:
-is what the old guy said racist?
-is what the old guy said tolerable?
-is what the old guy said some kind of indicator of obama's plan to lead?

and it makes me think of these questions:
-is anybody really worried that obama will somehow be an anti-white president? to any degree?
-if not, do the other 2 questions above matter?
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:Is it racist when I tell people to 'Stay Black' ?

Just as long as you don't tell them to get in back.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
dingdongyo Wrote:i have been reading along, not really interested in arguing any more. but i'm getting mixed up. it seems like a bunch different questions are getting roped in together:
-is what the old guy said racist?
-is what the old guy said tolerable?
-is what the old guy said some kind of indicator of obama's plan to lead?

and it makes me think of these questions:
-is anybody really worried that obama will somehow be an anti-white president? to any degree?
-if not, do the other 2 questions above matter?

I'm more affraid of him allowing Sharpton's and Jackson's opinions to get stronger legs.

Those guys are two problems with racial issues, victimizing TRUE criminals when there are actual victims going unhelped.
Have you ever noticed that any given minority wants to have what the rest of the world wants to give up?

Black people didn't want to sit in the back of the bus. But everyone knows that's where the most fun is had.

Gay people want to get married. But how many jokes do you hear about how horrible marriage is?

I guess the grass really is greener.
dino Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:You get offended and annoyed by an ignorant comment made by some ambulance driver probably trying to make a name for himself by saying such things.

Reverand Lowery founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957 together with Martin Luther King, JR. and subsequently led the organization as its president from 1977 to 1997. He's already made a name for himself.

regardless of what he did, he has not be in any spotlight as of the past whatever, and i still don't care about what he said. Seriously does it make a difference? So what, its hypocritical, big deal he is stupid. Regardless of what good anyone has done they can still say something dumb enough to erase any good they have done. Look at the fact that Jackson was around with MLK but he is now a dumbass.

The biggest point I was trying to make is the fact that people saying stupid things like this doesn't get brought up because it really isn't that big of a deal. How is this going to change your life? If you make a racist statement around someone who gets offended does it really matter? You will probably never see that person again in your life anyway. So what if they say it nothing happens. If you work with someone and they say it at work they can get fired just as quickly as you would. Outside of a professional setting it really makes no difference unless the statement is being spray painted on to a house or something like that.

I am mostly puerto rican, if someone decides to go and call me a spic I don't care I just let them think they are better. If someone gets offended by something of that nature they are just petty and on the same level as the person trying to do the offending.

There is no reason to get bent out of shape because someone makes an offhand statement, it will change no lives and effects you in no way.
[flash=350,287]http://www.youtube.com/v/HY-03vYYAjA&hl=en[/flash]
why did the hypocrisy in the speech not get picked up by the media but Bush and his 'strategery' was on constant rotation?
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:why did the hypocrisy in the speech not get picked up by the media but Bush and his 'strategery' was on constant rotation?

Don't know, not a member of the media, nor do I care either. The media just puts up what will get ratings, nothing else matters.
Philly Mike Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:why did the hypocrisy in the speech not get picked up by the media but Bush and his 'strategery' was on constant rotation?

Don't know, not a member of the media, nor do I care either. The media just puts up what will get ratings, nothing else matters.

...and right now Obama is the savior of the hour so he's untouchable along with his posse.
Random Farce:

Since yesterday at noon my stocks have jumped 200% (I'm now breaking even again) and I've been offered 3 jobs that will make me more money. :'(
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:Random Farce:

Since yesterday at noon my stocks have jumped 200% (I'm now breaking even again) and I've been offered 3 jobs that will make me more money. :'(
I'm wiping my ass with $20's. Oh and I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's next to the singing butterflies and flowers.
I just crapped an actual basket of money. Painlessly.
all i want to know is why it said ambulence driver when i never said that
idio[]t

idiot
dino Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:Is it racist when I tell people to 'Stay Black' ?

Just as long as you don't tell them to get in back.

+1 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Philly Mike Wrote:
dino Wrote:Reverand Lowery founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957 together with Martin Luther King, JR. and subsequently led the organization as its president from 1977 to 1997. He's already made a name for himself.

regardless of what he did, he has not be in any spotlight as of the past whatever, and i still don't care about what he said. Seriously does it make a difference? So what, its hypocritical, big deal he is stupid. Regardless of what good anyone has done they can still say something dumb enough to erase any good they have done. Look at the fact that Jackson was around with MLK but he is now a dumbass.

The biggest point I was trying to make is the fact that people saying stupid things like this doesn't get brought up because it really isn't that big of a deal. How is this going to change your life? If you make a racist statement around someone who gets offended does it really matter? You will probably never see that person again in your life anyway. So what if they say it nothing happens. If you work with someone and they say it at work they can get fired just as quickly as you would. Outside of a professional setting it really makes no difference unless the statement is being spray painted on to a house or something like that.

I am mostly puerto rican, if someone decides to go and call me a spic I don't care I just let them think they are better. If someone gets offended by something of that nature they are just petty and on the same level as the person trying to do the offending.

There is no reason to get bent out of shape because someone makes an offhand statement, it will change no lives and effects you in no way.

By that logic Senator Trent Lott should have kept his job in the senate leadership. Just an offhanded comment that was taken out of context.
Quote of the Day:
Philly Mike Wrote:all i want to know is why it said ambulence driver when i never said that
When Ron the ambulance driver made his grand entrance to the board a month or two ago he became synonymous with idio(t).

Thereby making ambulance driver = idio(t)
Quote of the Day:
Jiggy Wrote:
Jo Wrote:maybe, just maybe, we're learning to be above this shit and focus on what's important. i'm sure i could find a memo or something...
Well obviously we aren't above it. There was no reason for it to have ever been said in the first place. I don't mind being the punching bag for someone like Chris Rock who makes a living by cracking those kinds of jokes but that was wrong place and wrong time.

nope, we aren't and i was laughing my ass off when he said that while everybody else looked at me like i was a crazy person.

let's all take a chill pill.
Public apologies to Philly Mike for thinking he was overusing the term "ambulance driver"!

:::crawls into corner:::
dino Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:regardless of what he did, he has not be in any spotlight as of the past whatever, and i still don't care about what he said. Seriously does it make a difference? So what, its hypocritical, big deal he is stupid. Regardless of what good anyone has done they can still say something dumb enough to erase any good they have done. Look at the fact that Jackson was around with MLK but he is now a dumbass.

By that logic Senator Trent Lott should have kept his job in the senate leadership. Just an offhanded comment that was taken out of context.

Well pretty much no one should be fired for things that are taken out of context. but there is a difference in being professional and casual. Even though his comments weren't really bad.

This is the exact stuff i am referring to when i mean people shouldn't be bent out of shape. Being an independent I could care less what either party does, personally I feel each side has a bunch of ultra Conservative, or extreme liberals. Not saying that there aren't any people in the parties that are reasonable but there are plenty to make me not want to be in either party.

It is bickering like that which makes the whole election process so annoying.

lol this thread is reminding me why I used to hate politics.