Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before You Converted
What did you listen to in the mornings before you started listening to Free Beer and Hot Wings.

Im not going to lie I listened to Kevin Matthews and before that Tony Gates. Im thankful I made the switch
I'll bet you are!! welcome aboard. Actually I was PISSED when they first came to GR. I was a dedicated Stern listner and the first morning as soon as they announced their names I switched stations. Then after a couple of months I got sick of sports Radio so I gave it a shot.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
I wasn't listening to anything. I would just pop in a CD and drive to work. My husband suggested I listen to them, and I got hooked.
I listened to Stern until he became a whiny bitch (vinaigrette). When FB&HW came to town I started listening within the first couple of weeks and became immediately hooked.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Listened to the old GRD morning stuff through high school. Moved away to Ohio for a year of college, which was right when the old stuff was beginning to go under. I transferred back to a college in the Grand Rapids area after that first year, which happened to be right when FBHW got their start. Since I had been gone for almost a year, I didn't really know what was going on, and dismissed the show as being some crappy replacement. Finally decided to give it a listen after a month, which would have been sometime in July '04, and loved it. Been listening ever since.
Back when I first moved to GR I didn't listen to too much morning talk. Just music. They I started traveling and listening to Stern, Deminski & Doyle (Afternoon drive in Detroit), Bob and Tom (Yes, I admit it) and Drew and Mike. I then moved just north of Detroit and became a loyal Drew and Mike fan. After a couple of years I move back to GR and would stream their show. Then Drew took some time off to care for his fiancee (thanks to titan for straightening us all out on the proper spelling). I couldn't take the new Mike and Mark style so I looked for something new. A friend told me to check out FBHW. He said their name is stupid as hell but they're hilarious. So I did and now here I am! Come to find out Drew is Producer Joe's Uncle and Joe worked for Drew and Mike around the time I was listening. Small world. Joe.....you have any other relatives in the radio industry that we should know about?
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
I listened to Rick and Scott on GRD way back when I was in Middle School, but they got too comfortable and it was like they forgot their was an audience and just chatted amongst themselves in a way that was irrelevant to the audience.

Then I switched to Bob and Tom and I admit I loved that show for years and listened throughout high school, but the songs and bits became too repetative, and at the time I started getting into politics, so I started listening to political radio.

Eventually, political radio became too stressful and frustrating so I went back to Bob and Tom, but they were even worse with the replaying of songs and bits over and over again. Plus, they seemed to be losing touch with their audience, and were getting frustrating in other ways. For example, I didn't mind that they set up jokes for comedians, but it got to the point where they would start to set up a joke, but then would interupt the comedian with something that missed the point and wasn't even interesting, and they wouldn't even let them get to the joke. This was perhaps the first time I actually screamed at my radio.

Musically, I liked GRD still, so I thought I'd check out who was on their station: "The Free Beer and Hot Wings Show: Funny name. Funnier show." - So, I said to myself, "if that name is their idea of funny, then I think we have different ideas of what is funny." - Thus, I refused to listen for a long time, but eventually I started listening after Bob and Tom were finished at 10:00, but this is not when they do their good material usually, so I didn't really connect. Eventually, I started listening during B&T's commercial breaks, and I started to hear things like Joe Stunts, so I became more interested. Then, when I started pulling all-nighters for the final days of my college career, I tuned in to FBHW in the morning because they came on an hour earlier than Bob and Tom, and I liked what I heard, so I just kept listening, and withing a couple months, I was a podcaster.
I listened to a corny morning zoo show on a pop station. I was also a preteen.
That's what she said.
i listened to Steve and Sabrina on WSNX then Ron and Don on KLQ....they all sucked.
I listened to Howard Stern and then when he went off KLQ here in Michigan I just listened to Ron and Don. I realized I was listening to the wrong station when the funniest part of their show was when they were talking about the 'station across the street' stealing the bunny suit they made their "Intern" wear
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I listened to John Boy & Billy on 105.9. . . I still like Mad Max. My husband convinced me to listen and now i'm hooked and have been since Jan-Feb of this year.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
when I lived in Chicago and before than I listened to Mancow. Then I moved here, and Shaun got me hooked!
I refuse to listen to the radio...except for FB&HW.
I didn
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
[quote="wienerpoopie"]I didn
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I listened to whoever was on the radio station before they were, I think his name was Banana Jack? He was local, while the show wasn't funny he was a fun guy to listen to.
Bob & Tom left the Buzz in Nashville and I was pissed. I thought they were awesome. I could not get with FB&HW at first because Zane and Hotwings sounded similar to me and I could not tell who was speaking. So, I basically switched to a local sports show that has Frank Wycheck on it. It is actually a very good morning show but, I was looking for more humor and gave FB&HW another chance and became hooked.

Bob & Tom came back to Nashville on a HORRIBLE station. I tried switching back but, they had in 2 months, become the stupidest show I had heard (besides John Boy & Billy).
I listened to Stern. Then switched to Mike and Mike when Stern got the boot in West Michigan. Once I figured out Mike and Mike were merely spokespeople for all things Yankees and Red Sox, I resorted to listening to my tires on the pavement.

By the way, does anyone remember Mel and Frank? They replaced Kevin Matthews on GRD back in the mid 90's. To this day, I've never heard a more worthless morning show. And that's including Bob and Tom.
brytn Wrote:I tried switching back but, they had in 2 months, become the stupidest show I had heard (besides John Boy & Billy).

[Image: icon_bs.gif]

John Boy and Billy are all that bad.
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I listened to Steve and Sabrina on WSNX
Queenie Wrote:
brytn Wrote:I tried switching back but, they had in 2 months, become the stupidest show I had heard (besides John Boy & Billy).

[Image: icon_bs.gif]

John Boy and Billy are all that bad.

Ok. I take it back they are beter than Rick and Bubba. But, I could not listen one more time to some redneck going, "Joohhnboy". I will give you this, I did like them before they started bringing every friend they ever knew into the studio with them.
I forgot about Rick and Bubba!!! I hate them. They used to do the half-time crap at the Titan's(the real titan's) games and we would heckle them. mmmm football...24 days?
jus' P Wrote:I forgot about Rick and Bubba!!! I hate them. They used to do the half-time crap at the Titan's(the real titan's) games and we would heckle them. mmmm football...24 days?

I know it's pre-season but, first home game Saturday night. And, I always hated Rick and Bubba at the games. I think they still are syndicated in north Alabama. No accounting for taste in Alabama.
Listened to 'Mason and Sheehan' on PYX 106 out of Albany N.Y, followed by 'The Wolf In The Morning' up until about three years ago when I gave up entirely-the show just wasn't funny, which I could live with to an extent-however when they started playing bits making fun of Jonbenet Ramsey's death I bailed.

FB&HW got signed a couple of years ago as I recall, after 103.5 went through a format change-had the same reaction as most at first-what a bunch of dickheads. But lack of anything else to listen to forced me back and I found myself laughing at the bits before too long. I now have the podcast and listen to them on and off most days-the show just keeps getting better imo.
Have you considered taking longer?
before fbhw i didn't listen to the radio in the morning i would listen to my ipod
Bob @ Tom here

OMFG what was i thinking? B@B is complete asshattery compared to FBHW

I'm glad 102.9 switched. Smile
i listiened for about 3 years, before that yes i did listen to bob and tom, wow im glad i switched
I've listen to FBHW from birth! Not really, but my son has. I've listened from day one here in maine. Before that it was "Right Winger Hate Filled" talk radio.
Fistor Wrote:By the way, does anyone remember Mel and Frank? They replaced Kevin Matthews on GRD back in the mid 90's. To this day, I've never heard a more worthless morning show. And that's including Bob and Tom.

Yeah, well anyway, they sucked.
Listened to Stern but his show got really repetitive, I mean how many times can you try to get chicks naked. So turned on 95.7(which they are not on anymore) heard them and have been hooked ever since then. I would say that was about 4 years ago.
I just listened to sports radio in the morning until FB&HW came to GR. Been hooked ever since.
I was a loyal Tony Gates listener until Kev came back, then I listed about aimlessly for 3 or so months, landing on bob and tom, one day, I actually managed to find GRD on the shop headphone radios, and a convert was born.
like most nashville converts, i listened to bob & tom.
Before fbahw was Steve and sabrina on wsnx (this was in high school Smile)
I'm ashamed to admit that I listened to laugh tracks....aka....Boob and Tom. As soon as I listened to FB&HW's for the first time, I've never been back!
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
My son and I listened to Rick & Bubba because they were the only "clean" show I could find. Now that my son's a teen, we listen to FBHWS.
I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.
Fistor Wrote:I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

...this much is true...
I listened to Stern until he went off the air and the station switched formats and names. Like everyone else, I thought FB&HW was a stupid, male show about sports or whatever. I was devastated! But as soon as I heard them bait Wal Mart goers with an empty XBox 360 box left in the parking lot...

...they had me at "how's it going everyone?"
I used to listen to John Boy & Billy until my hubby converted me to FB&HW.

idomissmadmaxthough