Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is being politically correct destroying the U.S.
I was just wondering your thoughts on this. You're with a group of people (mixed race/religion) who get on a sensitive subject and you feel awkward voicing your opinion because of the subject matter and the fact that you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

What do you do? Tell your opinion, or do you do the politically correct thing and swallow your thoughts and feelings?
If you can present your opinion in an intelligent way there is no need to bash anyone or "hurt anyone's feelings". However, there will always be people who take offense to the littlest of things.
I don't know if it's destroying the country. There will always be some one who will say exactly what's on their minds and "to hell with everyone else".
I agree with Jerseygirl. No matter how you phrase something, someone is always going to get their panties in a knot. See that last line of this post. Because I wrote "panties" someone will be upset that I didn't use the male equivalent to panties. Well, too efffing bad, getting your boxers in a knot or tighty whities in a knot is not nearly as funny. That and I think the word panties is sexy.
Besides we all know that Barack Obama is a Muslim Extremist and he is what is ruining our country. Wink

*edit* after putting boxers and tighty whities in the post, the banner ad changed to a Macy's underwear ad. WOW HOT!
wingospagettio Wrote:I agree with Jerseygirl. No matter how you phrase something, someone is always going to get their panties in a knot. See that last line of this post. Because I wrote "panties" someone will be upset that I didn't use the male equivalent to panties. Well, too efffing bad, getting your boxers in a knot or tighty whities in a knot is not nearly as funny. That and I think the word panties is sexy.
Besides we all know that Barack Obama is a Muslim Extremist and he is what is ruining our country. Wink

*edit* after putting boxers and tighty whities in the post, the banner ad changed to a Macy's underwear ad. WOW HOT!

;D Well played! As for the "panties" comment, I say it all the time to guys and girls. Tighty whities and panties are one in the same in my book! However, unlike panties, tighty whities are not sexy.
There was a meeting in Albany where Democratic candidates were at a Mosque holding a meeting. All of the candidates were kissing the Muslims' asses except one , who made some remarks about getting off of foreign oil and some remarks about Iraq and Iran. He also said something about the Pledge of Allegiance not being said before the meeting and that an American flag was not in the room. He nearly got beat up for it. Why can't you call those Muslims un-American. Or tell the woman who was there to stand up to her husband and take off her scarf?

Why do a lot of black people make you feel sometimes that you owe them for the sins of our fathers because they owned slaves? Why do some believe that they are owned reparations, and want our government to pay them? Our current government didn't cause slavery, why should they apologize? But a person can't say "get over it". You can't call the Muslim school that was causing problems down in VA, a breeding ground for terrorists all because it isn't politically correct.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just trying to find out if the U.S. is falling behind because we are trying so hard to be politically correct that we are not recognizing situations for what they are.
I may have alot of opinions that I post on this thread, and as a younger man I loved to debate current events, and still do on this post. But as I've gotten older, I've learned people usually don't really want to hear what you have to say, unless I know you very well, I pretty much just agree with the other person wheather or not I actually do.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
No one said you're trying to offend anyone. :-) But yeah there are a lot of issues that could be put to bed if people weren't so scared of stepping on toes. I'm not as politically savvy as I used to be...but the snips and pieces I do catch...it frustrates me to no end. And at the moment I don't feel too strongly about any of the presidential candidates, which aggravates me because I'm a huge advocate of voting and all (many of my twenty-something friends don't vote). So...is the P.C. bullshit pulling us down? Yeah, I think it is. Do I think it's going to get any better? I'm a confirmed optimist, but I think it might get worse before it gets better.
I'm just worried that if we don't start recognizing the facts for what they are we are doomed. But we are so worried about not stepping on anyone toes that we are not getting things done.
What really bugs me about all the PC crap is around the holidays. People get their panties in a bunch if you say "Merry Christmas" to them and they dont' celebrate it. Hello! This is America, the MAJORITY of us celebrate Christmas. While I understand it is important to recognize everyone, I celebrate christmas, I don't get pissed if a Jewish person wishes me a Happy Haunnakah (I can't spell the damn word, you know what I mean). What really makes my blood boil is when my city decided that the large Christmas tree that goes in the center of town should be renamed the "Holiday Tree". WTF? Holiday tree? What other Christmas-time holiday uses a TREE as a symbol? JFC, we don't call the Menorah "the Holiday Candlestick" do we?
hotsauce Wrote:I'm just worried that if we don't start recognizing the facts for what they are we are doomed. But we are so worried about not stepping on anyone toes that we are not getting things done.

Doomed? Really?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, exactly. Do you think it would be better if blacks and hispanics were more oppressed than they are today? I agree that political correctness does get out of hand in certain situations (and, interestingly, when it does get out of hand, it's almost always because some white person gets up in arms about racism), but for the most part it has been beneficial. By being forced to be sensitive to other cultures, we (whites) have learned how powerful and offensive the N word is, for example. Also, offensive words for gays are not nearly as prevalent as they once were. If you don't believe me on these two examples, go rent Blazing Saddles and Eddie Murphy's Delirious and see how comfortable you feel. The language in these movies was commonplace when they were shot.

Yes, there are those who take it to the extreme, like Reverend Al and Jessie, who work so hard at being offended on a daily basis. But on the whole, political correctness has actually brought us closer together in a way.
overheadpageme Wrote:What really makes my blood boil is when my city decided that the large Christmas tree that goes in the center of town should be renamed the "Holiday Tree". WTF? Holiday tree? What other Christmas-time holiday uses a TREE as a symbol? JFC, we don't call the Menorah "the Holiday Candlestick" do we?

What's the big deal? At the end of the day, what do you care what it's called? Why not celebrate the holidays with more than just Christians?
I agree that too many people are getting offended way too easily. Everyone needs to understand that there are different beliefs in this "melting pot" (more like a salad bowl to me). There are some people who just take everything way too far. I mean look at Zane, that's part of what makes him funny and why we listen.
I believe that we as Americans (or U.S. Americans if you are Miss Teen South Carolina) do need to be open to other cultures. Yes we have been here the longest with the exception of Native Americans, but we have it so much easier than those that are in the minority. Some call it white man's burden. Other groups can call us what they want, but one slipup from us and it's your ass! Chris Rock said something along these lines on one of his HBO shows, "There is not a single white person that wants to be black, they wouldn't even trade with me and I'm rich!" Afraid there is a lot of truth in his words.
I say instead of sensitivity training, we should provide desensitivity training. If words can make you feel bad in any capacity, your skin is too thin.
providencecrow Wrote:I say instead of sensitivity training, we should provide desensitivity training. If words can make you feel bad in any capacity, your skin is too thin.

I wish you would tell my ex-wife that. Oh wait. I all ready did....say I wonder if thats why I'm divorced?
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
overheadpageme Wrote:What really bugs me about all the PC crap is around the holidays. People get their panties in a bunch if you say "Merry Christmas" to them and they dont' celebrate it. Hello! This is America, the MAJORITY of us celebrate Christmas. While I understand it is important to recognize everyone, I celebrate christmas, I don't get pissed if a Jewish person wishes me a Happy Haunnakah (I can't spell the damn word, you know what I mean). What really makes my blood boil is when my city decided that the large Christmas tree that goes in the center of town should be renamed the "Holiday Tree". WTF? Holiday tree? What other Christmas-time holiday uses a TREE as a symbol? JFC, we don't call the Menorah "the Holiday Candlestick" do we?

I agree because it seems that our most Christian holiday is being taken away from us. You are not supposed to call it Christmas anymore....It is the Winter Holidays of Winter Solstice. We don't ask Kwanzaa to be renamed or Ramadan to be renamed. Don't mess with our holidays, and we won't mess with yours.
The application of PC and censorship is what is ruining America. The fact that half the songs on the radio today are bleeped out and I can't call an African American "black" is just silly. And the fact that most of the television geared toward ages 13-adult are all about sex and the body is just sickening. The people who make these rules need to reorganize their priorities.
That's what she said.
overheadpageme Wrote:What really bugs me about all the PC crap is around the holidays. People get their panties in a bunch if you say "Merry Christmas" to them and they dont' celebrate it. Hello! This is America, the MAJORITY of us celebrate Christmas. While I understand it is important to recognize everyone, I celebrate christmas, I don't get pissed if a Jewish person wishes me a Happy Haunnakah (I can't spell the damn word, you know what I mean). What really makes my blood boil is when my city decided that the large Christmas tree that goes in the center of town should be renamed the "Holiday Tree". WTF? Holiday tree? What other Christmas-time holiday uses a TREE as a symbol? JFC, we don't call the Menorah "the Holiday Candlestick" do we?

Ha, that's awesome. You got your "panties in a bunch" because they've decided to call a tree by a different name than what you'd like. I haven't known anyone to get there "panties in a bunch" when someone says "Merry Christmas", although I do see a lot of Christians getting bunched-up-panties when people say "Happy Holidays" instead. You're just one more example...
["panties in a bunch""panties in a bunch" bunched-up-panties ...[/quote]

Like the word "panties" don't you?
[Image: normal_gayblackjewishklansmen.jpg]
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!

I do tend to agree here. I don't mind calling it the Holiday Season or saying "Happy Holidays" but a Holiday Tree? Come on, we all know what you really mean so just say it.

Last year at CHRISTMAS time the College Republicans (of which I was a part) at my school threw a Christmas party (to which everyone was invited and was even endorsed by one of our Jewish members). There, we decorated a Christmas tree and wrote Christmas cards to the ACLU asking them to stop ruining our favorite holiday. We don't step on your toes during Passover or MLK day, so don't step on ours.
That's what she said.
Who is stepping on your toes? You can celebrate Christmas all you want. I've never had anyone stop me from celebrating Christmas. MLK isn't a religious holiday, so what does that have to do with anything you're talking about?
lovegrenade Wrote:Who is stepping on your toes? You can celebrate Christmas all you want. I've never had anyone stop me from celebrating Christmas. MLK isn't a religious holiday, so what does that have to do with anything you're talking about?

I'm just saying it's silly to call it a Holiday Tree as we don't call it a Holiday Matzoh. And MLK day was supposed to be a joke.
That's what she said.
Christmas is celebrated by more than Catholics. I don't know any non-Jews who celebrate passover. That's why people throw a fit about it, the Jews were smart and managed to keep their holiday's private.
I remember being in school concerts at Christmas time and singing Christmas songs and a couple of Jewish songs. Songs about the dredyl and the Menorah. Songs about Ramadan could be sung also. Just stop trying to take the Christmas out of the time of year. Sorry for any mis spellings.