Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Hadron Collider at CERN
This was discussed on air this morning, I was in line to speak about the subject, but they ended the segment.

If I have my facts straight, and I am pretty sure I do, the point behind this experiment is to collide atoms together at nearly the speed of light in hopes to find the Higgs Boson particle.
Or "GOD PARTICLE"

It is theorized that this particle exists, mathematically speaking it should exist in everything.

And the proof of this particle would be a giant step in the search for the Unified Theory of Everything. Which was what Einstein was working on for years before he died.

It would link electromagnitism, the strong, and the weak nuclear forces. It would leave out only gravity. But it would help explain why gravity is so much weaker than the other 3 forces. Gravity is weak, we can stand, lift our arms, pick stuff up, but if we fall 3 stories electromagnitism will show it's power once you splat into the ground. (the ground displays the power, not the gravity pulling you in the fall)

Anyways, on the point of the mini black holes that will be produced...and yes, they probably will.
The good news is that they will dissapate so rapidly that without HIGHLY technical instruments you'd never even know it happened.
Charged particles collide around us in space all the time, and in theory creating these same type phenomenon. i.e. Highly charged particles zooming at us from sunbursts, smashing into our magnetosphere can create such events.

But I'm not worried. I would be very surprised if we humans can even produce enough energy to smash them together fast enough to produce the effects that happen in space.
There's a slim chance, but very very very slim. And even so, it's not going to be anything to worry about.
They're created, they vanish, particles go zooming around.
if you add vinegar to the volcano it goes boom.
Jo Wrote:if you add vinegar to the volcano it goes boom.

Ha! +1
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all going to die!!

Oh, wait I read it the second time. Now I'm not scared.

It woul dbe cool if it does prove Einstien's theory. I watched a show about it a few months ago. That is interesting shit. It still amazes me that people even think about stuff like that.

Now, if I could just find my keys.
airhornahole Wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all going to die!!

Oh, wait I read it the second time. Now I'm not scared.

It woul dbe cool if it does prove Einstien's theory. I watched a show about it a few months ago. That is interesting shit. It still amazes me that people even think about stuff like that.

Now, if I could just find my keys.

What's crazy is that people have been thinking about this stuff for ages. Not just recently.

That's what is wild, yesterdays "science fiction" turns into todays "science fact."

It just takes someone to come up with the idea of it, and if it's mathematically functional, then someone will, sooner or later, turn it into a working product.
They are using the particle collider for SO many things... that is just one of the many things they are trying to prove by colliding atoms... My hubby and I just watched something last night on how they are using the particle collider to figure out the quantum theory of gravity (yeah, we watch the Science Channel for fun... what?!Smile)
Science chennel, history channel, food network, animal planet, ...

That's all I watch. Plus FSN Detroit for Wings updates.
boizalynne Wrote:They are using the particle collider for SO many things... that is just one of the many things they are trying to prove by colliding atoms... My hubby and I just watched something last night on how they are using the particle collider to figure out the quantum theory of gravity (yeah, we watch the Science Channel for fun... what?!Smile)

Yes, there are other objectives as well, but the main objective is in fact the Higgs Boson particle.

I think they may also be checking into some things for the M-theory or better named String Theory.

Either way, it had better not create a big black hole or it will suck, litterally.
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:
boizalynne Wrote:They are using the particle collider for SO many things... that is just one of the many things they are trying to prove by colliding atoms... My hubby and I just watched something last night on how they are using the particle collider to figure out the quantum theory of gravity (yeah, we watch the Science Channel for fun... what?!Smile)

Yes, there are other objectives as well, but the main objective is in fact the Higgs Boson particle.

I think they may also be checking into some things for the M-theory or better named String Theory.

Either way, it had better not create a big black hole or it will suck, litterally.

If it does, we will all become real close friends. ;D
Call me crazy, but doesn't it seem like if there is any chance that when you turn something on that it could destroy the world, that maybe... you should leave it off?
elranito Wrote:Call me crazy, but doesn't it seem like if there is any chance that when you turn something on that it could destroy the world, that maybe... you should leave it off?

Puss.

Is that what the Germans thought when they bombed Pearl Harbor? No. ;D
airhornahole Wrote:
elranito Wrote:Call me crazy, but doesn't it seem like if there is any chance that when you turn something on that it could destroy the world, that maybe... you should leave it off?

Puss.

HAAHA!
I get your point here, but it was the Jap's that attacked us, not the Germans.

I see no problem with science and learning the truth about the universe, but sometimes scientists get so wrapped up in whether they CAN do something, they neglect to think of whether they SHOULD.

It has been said many times that Einstein would have never let the world know about e=mc 2 if he'd have known they'd figure out how to make bombs with the formula.

I hope he doesn't go 2 for 2. lol
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:Puss.

HAAHA!

Have you ever seen the movie Animal House?
I'm all for science and I say go for it but bad things usually happen when people try to play God.
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:

LOL I was thinking the SAME THING!!!! They keep saying things like "The Particle Excellerater is creating conditions as close to the big bang as we have ever seen..."

All I can think is "Yeah... and we all know what happened the LAST time!!!"
No joke.
Hopefully everything will be fine, but like in any big project there's the chance for an explosion.

They had best hope that neither a black hole nor anti-matter is created in this process, either way would be bad.

But if it works the way they're wanting it to work then we'll be closer than ever to proving that Einstein was indeed correct, that you can in fact describe the entirety of the universe in one simple equation.
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:Puss.

HAAHA!

Wow, that one went RIGHT over your head!
I'm pro-hadron-colliders. I think we should build a lot more of them, then we'll have them all fight. Hadron vs Hadron; everybody wins...
airhornahole Wrote:
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:HAAHA!

Have you ever seen the movie Animal House?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the eff happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...

Bo, If you haven't seen Animal House stop whatever you are doing and don't come back until you have memorized at least one of a hundred classic scenes...
jus' P Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:Have you ever seen the movie Animal House?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the eff happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...

Bo, If you haven't seen Animal House stop whatever you are doing and don't come back until you have memorized at least one of a hundred classic scenes...

Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy.
Well, I guess that's what I get for trying to tell everyone about a particle accelerator.

haha!
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:Well, I guess that's what I get for trying to tell everyone about a particle accelerator.

haha!

The particle accelerator is cool.

It's the fact that you haven't seen one of the all time classic movies in history.
Thanks for clearing this up for me! I only caught just a small part of this yesterday and wasn't sure what it was all about. Thats what I get for not paying attention.
So what time over there are they turning it on? I want time to make my tin foil hat and sit in the basement.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999
airhornahole Wrote:If it does, we will all become real close friends. ;D

;D Ha, I really did laugh out loud

ChevSSCamaro67 Wrote:I'm all for science and I say go for it but bad things usually happen when people try to play God.

Meh, I'm not so satisfied with God playing God
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
FISTOR! WE NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER!!
I hope they do find the Higgs Boson, mostly to just sit back and watch all the religions around the world fight and claim it proof of their particular god.
Are we all ready to die today????
AP- "The world's largest particle collider passed its first major tests by firing two beams of protons in opposite directions around a 17-mile (27-kilometer) underground ring Wednesday in what scientists hope is the next great step to understanding the makeup of the universe"

We must be in Heaven. Or is this Hell?
Mud Room Donna Wrote:FISTOR! WE NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER!!

I'm on my way.

also, could a brutha get some directions...?
airhornahole Wrote:We must be in Heaven. Or is this Hell?

It's been hell on earth for quite a few years now. Where have you been?
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
airhornahole Wrote:AP- "The world's largest particle collider passed its first major tests by firing two beams of protons in opposite directions around a 17-mile (27-kilometer) underground ring Wednesday in what scientists hope is the next great step to understanding the makeup of the universe"

They will not be colliding any particles til October 22
Derek Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:AP- "The world's largest particle collider passed its first major tests by firing two beams of protons in opposite directions around a 17-mile (27-kilometer) underground ring Wednesday in what scientists hope is the next great step to understanding the makeup of the universe"

Well at least my birthday will pass before the apocalypse...sucks i'm gonna miss out on Halloween though Sad
I just got a nerd boner. Wink
Derek Wrote:

Damn it!! I made all the preparations for yesterday. How am I supposed to explain the thousands wasted on strippers and hookers to the wife?

Well, looks like I better start saving again for Oct 21st.
airhornahole Wrote:
Derek Wrote:They will not be colliding any particles til October 22

Damn it!! I made all the preparations for yesterday. How am I supposed to explain the thousands wasted on strippers and hookers to the wife?

Or December 2012
boizalynne Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:Damn it!! I made all the preparations for yesterday. How am I supposed to explain the thousands wasted on strippers and hookers to the wife?

Or December 2012

OMG please don't start anyone on the crazy 12/2012 talk.

Crazy Mayans.
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:
boizalynne Wrote:Or December 2012

OMG please don't start anyone on the crazy 12/2012 talk.

Crazy Mayans.

*starts playin' REM's "End of the World"

Different races from across the globe have agreed on that one fact( discovered independently), more than any thing else in known human history. Whether it's the "end" or just a new beginning, surely you have to acknowledge it's significance.
I see no reason to believe it's significant in any way. Mayans were good at math and charting of celestial bodies. I will grant them that. But there is no reason to believe that simply because certain bodies "line-up" at certain points there should be cause for alarm.

What's of greater concern is the fact that our sun is heading back down towards the inside of the spiral arm of our little corner of the galaxy. When this happens we do get nearer to stars and it could effect objects in the out kuiper belt. If they get pulled away, they could get sling shotted back into our inner orbits. Which is no good for us.

You see, the sun goes around the galaxy, but it also goes up and down in and out of the spiral arm. Always has, always will.

It is believed that we are on the way back down, and congestion is never a good thing, even when you're talking about stars.

The only way this would make sense is if they've plotted when we'd get too near another star....or something else they seen. But we have super advanced telescopes comparitively and I'm not hearing anything of concern from the scientific community.