Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WJLB... WTF!!!! Where's WGRD and FBHW?!
I'm trying to find out what the hell is going on... This morning I went to turn on my radio to listen to Free Beer and Hot Wings like I always do, on WGRD, and I got rap. At first I thought someone had messed with my radio and changed the channel, it wasn't changed. I tried every radio in my house on 97.9, and all I get is this shitty ass rap station.

GRD came through just fine yesterday morning, so this has to be a recent thing.

I did some research on the station and apparently it's a station from Detroit that is also set at 97.9.

This has never happened before. I'm much closer to Grand Rapids, than I am to Detroit. I'm only like 35 to 40 miles directly south of GR. I'm guessing this sucky ass station is broadcasting over GRD or something. I don't know. If any of you have any idea what the hell is going on, let me know... >Sad

Here's the wiki page for the shitty station. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJLB
Wow it sucks to be you.
Wowie Groovie !
no kidding. I don't get what the hell is up. I want to smash things. My radio has betrayed me.

I shouldn't be able to pick up Detroit radio stations. Everyone knows that the only radio station that can get through Orangeville, is GRD. (yes, I live near there, like 6 miles away) I think I mentioned this before, but still.

Thank god for the online feed. I don't want to always have to use my computer to listen though. I'd like to be able to listen in my car. If I'm stuck listening to rap while driving, I'll probably drive off the road and into a tree, on purpose.
Arent computers illegal in Orangeville ?
Wowie Groovie !
They'd have to know what a computer was to make them illegal.
Well, I really don't get this now. I turned my radio back on, just to check and see if anything had changed, and I get GRD loud and clear. Hopefully the suckass station that was broadcasting over it blew up, and took out all of the suck music in Michigan... >_< if only we all were so lucky...

I still wonder what the hell was going on.
Kris!? Wrote:Well, I really don't get this now. I turned my radio back on, just to check and see if anything had changed, and I get GRD loud and clear. Hopefully the suckass station that was broadcasting over it blew up, and took out all of the suck music in Michigan... >_< if only we all were so lucky...

I still wonder what the hell was going on.

If they took all the suck out of music Michigan, WGRD would be nothing but static when FBHW isn't on
Wowie Groovie !
I know that at night and early morning some stations are able to increase their broadcasting radius, but I was thinking that was AM only. That's about the only thing I could think of that would have caused those issues.
Potthole is correct, only AM stations can increase the power. It could've been due to atmospheric pressure as this happened to me last year around this time with GRD. I got the same rap station (I live south of G.R., 20 minutes west of Wayland.)

Edit:

Also, GRD is at 13,000 watts and the other station is at 50,000 which does make it possible for it to reach over hear on a good day. (Though unlikely)
I had the same problem this morning. I live north of GR and had that S on my radio when I was driving in. I drove a couple miles to the south and everything cleared up. To the guys, More Power!!!!!!!! Crank up those damn watts or whatever you have to do.
Titan ! Wrote:If they took all the suck out of music Michigan, WGRD would be nothing but static when FBHW isn't on

The worst part of WGRD is Spud. God, how fake is his, "Grrr... I'm an angry Republican!" routine?
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
I live 30 miles WEST of Grand Rapids, and I could make out FBHW but I could hear the rap in the background breaking through a few times.
I started having problems with my radio at work and home as well. The car radio comes in mostly clear but I am getting a lot of static that just started on Tuesday. This really sucks since I can't do a live feed from work and now I am missing the show! :-[
The quick answer as to why WJLB is overpowering WGRD in some areas is that occassionally humidity and some other factors eff with FM waves and TV signals. It's really bad around water. Sometimes, you can't hear the station we're on in New Jersey even when you're standing a mile from the tower.

If you really want to learn more about "Tropospheric Scattering" and "Tropospheric Propagation", have at it:

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book10/40k.htm

Also, most AM stations are required to LOWER their power at night. I don't know of any that are allowed to increase power.

Here's some more nerd-speak about that, if you're interested.
Forgot this:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/daytime.html
hotwings Wrote:... Sometimes, you can't hear the station we're on in New Jersey even when you're standing a mile from the tower...

Yet, ironically, if you're sitting in a car with the radio on, you have no problem hearing it!
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Becky, is Hot Wings nerdspeak giving you a wetty ?
Wowie Groovie !
hotwings Wrote:Also, most AM stations are required to LOWER their power at night. I don't know of any that are allowed to increase power.

Really? I'll take your word for it, considering you're in the business, but when I took a couple of broadcasting classes in college, we were always told that some (not all) AM stations were allowed to increase their broadcast power at night.
In Maine, i can't get The Bone from any radio here in my house, so I have to listen online, but I can listen in the car 40 miles in the opposite direction from the station, and I'm more than 20 miles away anyway
ashleykme Wrote:In Maine, i can't get The Bone

Sounds like you need to sexy it up a bit. Or move to a "more simple" area, like Tenn. ;D

Mainers can't get it up
Wowie Groovie !
airhornahole Wrote:

Sounds like you need to sexy it up a bit. Or move to a "more simple" area, like Tenn. ;D

yee haw Airhorn. (* spits tobacco).. You nailed it. Simple

How 'bout them 4-0 Titans ?
jus' P Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:Sounds like you need to sexy it up a bit. Or move to a "more simple" area, like Tenn. ;D

yee haw Airhorn. (* spits tobacco).. You nailed it. Simple

Like that one did ya?

Even you referred to it as "twang town" mister Wisc cheese head. How about them Badgers?
airhornahole Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:yee haw Airhorn. (* spits tobacco).. You nailed it. Simple

Like that one did ya?

Even you referred to it as "twang town" mister Wisc cheese head. How about them Badgers?

I never was much of a Badger fan. I grew up liking Penn State but I really don't have a collegiate allegiance. I sure enjoy watching The Vol's fans eat it after talking so much smack. and I love that Vandy fans actually have something to cheer about.
hotwings Wrote:Sometimes, you can't hear the station we're on in New Jersey even when you're standing a mile from the tower.

I live less than 40 miles from the tower and just barely get it when the weather is nice. Yet half the time the station is overridden by a station all the way up in Boston, which for those of you who suck at geography, is approximately 260 miles away. Drives me effing crazy.
That's what she said.
ashleykme Wrote:In Maine, i can't get The Bone from any radio here in my house, so I have to listen online, but I can listen in the car 40 miles in the opposite direction from the station, and I'm more than 20 miles away anyway

they are switching one of the stations from 104.7 to 106.3, which is supposedly going to be better. i can get it on the drive to work (toward the tower), but once at work, it sucks.

Titan ! Wrote:Mainers can't get it up

wrong. do not make me demonstrate.
Sometimes when I'm in K-Zoo or even closer to GR and I hear that darn rap station, I consider complaining to the FCC. Would that do any good? I'm looking to you HW.