Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sport or Not a Sport
I figured we need a thread debating which "sports" are really sports, and which ones are not. I'll start it out by saying that I believe that if the judge has to determine a winner, it shouldn't be a sport. For example, cheerleading, gymnastics, and figure skating. Olympic boxing, not a sport. Real boxing, sport, because you can win by KO.

Anything to add, or argue?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Poker is not a sport.

"Dad, how come I'm not going to college?"

"Well son,cause I'm a crappy athlete." ( Daniel Tosh)
jus' P Wrote:Poker is not a sport.

Agreed.

It's not a sport if you can sit down while doing it. (I'm looking at you Nascar fans!)
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Golf. It's a hobby. I know it takes a lot of skill, I don't care. Playing the guitar well also requires a lot of skill but you wouldn't call that a sport, would you?
I'm on the fence with golf. I think it is, then I look at John Daly, and change my mind.

***thanks for moving this thread Biff. I wasn't sure if it should go in the touchy subject, sports, or the talking thread.
Or Phil Mickelson and his moobs.
I say NASCAR, not a sport. If you can be in terrible shape and drive a car really fast, it doesn't make you an athlete. For that matter if you are in great shape and can drive a car really fast, it still doesn't make you an athlete. For those in Grand Rapids, if I drove really fast up US 131 turned left onto I-196 West, turned left onto M6 East then turned left again to get back onto US 131 and kept doing that at high rates of speed (barring a ticket) would it make me an athlete....no, it wouldn't.

Bowling, Pool/Billiards, Golf and Poker, not sports. If you can drink beer while playing them, it's a hobby not a sport.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
Golf is a sport in my mind because you are competing against others. Using the example of playing the guitar doesn't really match up because there isn't a scoring system used to compare and compete how you play the guitar in comparison to others.

In the past I used to think that figure skating shouldn't be considered a sport- but then I married a competitive figure skater, so I'm forced to argue that it is one. Wink
landmammaldolphin Wrote:I say NASCAR, not a sport. If you can be in terrible shape and drive a car really fast, it doesn't make you an athlete. For that matter if you are in great shape and can drive a car really fast, it still doesn't make you an athlete. For those in Grand Rapids, if I drove really fast up US 131 turned left onto I-196 West, turned left onto M6 East then turned left again to get back onto US 131 and kept doing that at high rates of speed (barring a ticket) would it make me an athlete....no, it wouldn't.

Bowling, Pool/Billiards, Golf and Poker, not sports. If you can drink beer while playing them, it's a hobby not a sport.

To me motor-sports is in it's own category. While it does take,strength and endurance you also have a gasoline powered engine.

Now, beer drinking is the king of sports...or something like that. ;D
This is one of those philosophical questions. I mean, landmammal, if you do your scenario with no AC, driving a 3000+ pound car, driving for 500 miles, parallel parking with 42 other vehicles on a 3 lane road every 20-30 miles @ 55 mph, and still want to say it is not a sport then cool. I agree more with Plunger that it is its own category. I completely agree that you are relying on equipment quite a bit more in NASCAR than in other sports. And, by the way, I used to HATE racing. I made fun of every racing fan that I could. So much so, that I investigated the sport to come up with ammo for those "idiots". I then realized that I knew more about the sport than those fans and strangely started loving the sport.

Anyway, end of long rant. Gonna have to say anything that you can drink beer and play; darts, golf, bowling, etc., is not a sport. However, athletes do play them all. Athletes or a sport is a different debate.
brytn Wrote:Anyway, end of long rant. Gonna have to say anything that you can drink beer and play; darts, golf, bowling, etc., is not a sport. However, athletes do play them all. Athletes or a sport is a different debate.

What then would you say in response to the fact that the 2004 Boston Red Sox would take time to have some shots before they played games in the playoffs? Would that make those baseball games not sport?
I'd go as far as to say that gymnastics is not a sport. I was a gymnast, but I consider it more of a competition. I define sports as activities that involve direct opponents.
That's what she said.
And gymnastics doesn't involve that? What about the all around, or individual discipline events?
Cheerleading has 2 different categories.

Sideline cheer is where the cheerleaders are on the sidelines yelling during the games.

Competitive Cheer, is blah blah blah, I don't care enough to continue typing.
Wowie Groovie !
potthole Wrote:And gymnastics doesn't involve that? What about the all around, or individual discipline events?

No, I mean direct contact with you vs. another person. I put gymnastics and golf and cheerleading in the same category, competition.

By direct contact I mean football, soccer, tennis, etc where you have an opponent to beat, not just you doing the best you can for yourself.
That's what she said.
potthole Wrote:Golf is a sport in my mind because you are competing against others. Using the example of playing the guitar doesn't really match up because there isn't a scoring system used to compare and compete how you play the guitar in comparison to others.

I was just using the example to illustrate that the necessary skill level and all the f'ing patience it takes to be good shouldn't make something a sport, but it's still a valid point.

How about saying that a sport can be defined by directly competing against others? Golf, you compete more with the course than anything. What you do essentially has no effect on how others do.

Crap, I didn't read all the posts. I agree with Allyson.
Allyson Wrote:
potthole Wrote:And gymnastics doesn't involve that? What about the all around, or individual discipline events?

No, I mean direct contact with you vs. another person. I put gymnastics and golf and cheerleading in the same category, competition.

By direct contact I mean football, soccer, tennis, etc where you have an opponent to beat, not just you doing the best you can for yourself.

I agree with you, but by your definition, Nascar is a sport. And what about Track and Field? Long jump, Pole Vault, Shot Put, etc a competition or a sport?
Rock Monster Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:No, I mean direct contact with you vs. another person. I put gymnastics and golf and cheerleading in the same category, competition.

I agree with you, but by your definition, Nascar is a sport. And what about Track and Field? Long jump, Pole Vault, Shot Put, etc a competition or a sport?

I would add in the fact that there must be some level of athleticism.
Any activity can be a sport. Anything that you strive to improve yourself on and compete, maybe with your own previous score, time, etc. It is all in your mind.

If you really are working at improving your golf golf game, taking it seriously and pushing yourself, it's a sport. If your out there to get tanked and hit on the beer cart wench, it's not a sport.

For me cutting the grass is a sport. Every time I go out, I try to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete the task. No, not really. I could but I'm too busy drinking my rum and coke.
Rock Monster Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:No, I mean direct contact with you vs. another person. I put gymnastics and golf and cheerleading in the same category, competition.

Hrm, see this is tough to explain. I still see Nascar as a competition because you are competing against everyone else and doing your best. You do not have a clear opponent that you are fighting to win. In the same respect, I consider track&field a competition also.

So break it down: Sports = football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, baseball, etc
Competitions = golf, gymnastics, track/field, swimming, diving, Nascar, bodybuilding, etc

The whole athlete/non-athlete argument is a whole different story.
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:I agree with you, but by your definition, Nascar is a sport. And what about Track and Field? Long jump, Pole Vault, Shot Put, etc a competition or a sport?

Hrm, see this is tough to explain. I still see Nascar as a competition because you are competing against everyone else and doing your best. You do not have a clear opponent that you are fighting to win. In the same respect, I consider track&field a competition also.

So break it down: Sports = football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, baseball, etc
Competitions = golf, gymnastics, track/field, swimming, diving, Nascar, bodybuilding, etc

What about Curling? That's direct competition. Billiards?
Now I'm starting to confuse myself, because I would say track and field events are sports, but I'm not so sure bodybuilding is. Everytime I try to come up with a definition, I come up with a counter-example.

Allyson, you're right, the athlete/non-athlete discussion is way different. For example, I wouldn't call Tiger Woods an athlete because he plays golf, but I would definitely say he's athletic.
Rock Monster Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:Hrm, see this is tough to explain. I still see Nascar as a competition because you are competing against everyone else and doing your best. You do not have a clear opponent that you are fighting to win. In the same respect, I consider track&field a competition also.

What about Curling? That's direct competition. Billiards?

Ok, now you're just getting nit-picky Mr. Monster. By my definition chess and checkers would be a sport, but they are obviously not within the scope of sports/not sports. And I don't even know what curling is.
That's what she said.
burnking Wrote:Allyson, you're right, the athlete/non-athlete discussion is way different. For example, I wouldn't call Tiger Woods an athlete because he plays golf, but I would definitely say he's athletic.

Also, gymnasts are athletes, but it's not a sport.
Also, baseball is a sport but there are a lot of players I wouldn't consider athletes.
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:...Ok, now you're just getting nit-picky Mr. Monster...

I may have been call an antagonist once or twice in my lifetime!
A clear opponent that you are trying to beat in a direct competition.... is LARPing a sport?
[Image: larp.jpg]
That's what she said.
espn carries the spelling bee. but not hockey. does anybody think that isn't effed?

Allyson Wrote:[Image: larp.jpg]

for some reason, this inspired another thought: the only differences i can think of between LARPing and professional wrestling are production value and venue.
dingdongyo Wrote:espn carries the spelling bee. but not hockey. does anybody think that isn't effed?

I have also seen scrabble on one of the ESPN channels.
Entertainment
Sports
Programming
Network
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
i maintain the spelling bee is neither a sport nor entertaining
Entertainment
***and***
Sports
Programming
Network
dingdongyo Wrote:i maintain the spelling bee is neither a sport nor entertaining

spellin is fo suckas
+1 for that bit of awesomeness.
Allyson Wrote:

With gymnastics you do compete against others directly in the all around and individual discipline events. Your scores go right up against the scores of the other competitors.
dingdongyo Wrote:espn carries the spelling bee. but not hockey. does anybody think that isn't effed?

No, that's just poor marketing and management on the part of the NHL.
I am pretty much ok with anything except boardgames being considered a sport. But, my only problem with gymnastics/boxing/anything that is judged, is the complete subjectiveness of judges.
After reading all the posts at once I had made a mental list of the points I was going to post. Then I realized they all conflicted. I think the physical aspect carries more weight than the competition aspect, but that's going to be a personal preference choice for any one person. I'm a fan of poker, pool, and shooting but they don't fit my idealist version of sports. Hunting can be physically strenuous but there's no competition. Well, if there is you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I'm not a fan of NASCAR but I believe that is a sport. Are all sports games, but not all games sports? I think that's pretty close to true.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
Torque Wrote:After reading all the posts at once I had made a mental list of the points I was going to post. Then I realized they all conflicted. I think the physical aspect carries more weight than the competition aspect, but that's going to be a personal preference choice for any one person. I'm a fan of poker, pool, and shooting but they don't fit my idealist version of sports. Hunting can be physically strenuous but there's no competition. Well, if there is you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I'm not a fan of NASCAR but I believe that is a sport. Are all sports games, but not all games sports? I think that's pretty close to true.

Well said. I think you completely ended the argument. +1