Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Death Penalty
They were talking about this on the show today, but I was curious about your thoughts. Give a good reason after you vote!
off with their heads... ( I am not much of a people person) Sure you're going to get an innocent person once in a while, no system is perfect. 1st degree murder, rape or molestation. No second chance, no prison.Firing squad or hanging. electric chair wastes too much energy.
I don't have a problem with the death penalty, i do have a problem with people who are on death row with no chance of appeal living off my tax dollars 20 years before they are executed.
providencecrow Wrote:I don't have a problem with the death penalty, i do have a problem with people who are on death row with no chance of appeal living off my tax dollars 20 years before they are executed.

Ditto +1
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Death penalty? Meh. I say let them rot in jail, not regular jail, like crazy Alcatraz prison. Solitary confinement, just enough food to live, and nothing to do all day. Why give them the satisfaction of knowing that it'll all be over soon?
I say go for it, but there needs to be some changes. No more lethal injection or gas chamber where they go night, night before they die. From now on it's a firing squad and they start at the feet and shoot their way up. No lethal shots until at least the 30th round, because if you did something horrific enough to be on death row, you deserve to die slowly.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
"Yes they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"
I am a strong proponent for the death penalty. I just think the proccess could be streamlined. Sentanced with no appeal, one week, then execution. Electric chair, hanging, shooting squad, all of em but leathal injection (I think it's too easy a way out) are good with me. If I had total control however, I would have the same crime perpetrated to the convict until death (I.e. Raped to death, same grusome mutilation that was perpatrated to the victim etc.).
I'm torn.

I don't think we have the ability to know who should die and who shouldn't. If it were a perfect system and there were no mistakes where innocent people died, I would maybe be ok with it, but I don't know. I could never be the one to take someone's life...the executioner. To me, if it were going to work at all, the person(s) responsible for prosecuting the guilty would have to be the one(s) to take action and actually "pull the trigger" on the sentenced. It would probably make some take a step back and think, "Is this actually going to fix the problem here?"

Maybe we cut off a state and wall them up. They can fend for themselves in their city Escape from NY style.
I agree with the death penalty.

Except, 12 rounds of rifle shells only costs a few bucks. Years of sitting in prison trying appeal after appeal cost alot. These low lifes are worth our tax dollars. They should be granted 1 appeal, if it fails, firing squad the next week.
airhornahole Wrote:These low lifes are NOT worth our tax dollars. week.

Fixed.
spoonman Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:These low lifes are NOT worth our tax dollars. week.

Fixed.

Thank you. I am an idiot.
I think that if they plead guilty, then they should be dead by the end of the week. Otherwise, I agree with the fixed version of airhornahole's comment. And as far as the people that say that God is the only one that can judge, I say we're just sending them to judgement a little quicker.
sunshyne Wrote:I think that if they plead guilty, then they should be dead by the end of the week...

If this were the case, why would anyone plead guilty?
I'm with the thinking that you should have done to you whatever you do to others. Shoot someone, you should be shot. Rape someone, you get raped (possibly by an object) Any sexual crime, and you get castrated. Simple enough, eh?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:
sunshyne Wrote:I think that if they plead guilty, then they should be dead by the end of the week...

I'm with the thinking that you should have done to you whatever you do to others. Shoot someone, you should be shot. Rape someone, you get raped (possibly by an object) Any sexual crime, and you get castrated. Simple enough, eh?

I think she meant " found" guilty.. Anyway, nuke em' all
jus' P Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:If this were the case, why would anyone plead guilty?

I think she meant " found" guilty.. Anyway, nuke em' all

I did, wasn't thinking while typing. I'm surprised there aren't more people speaking against the death penalty on here.
Rock Monster Wrote:

I'm totally in agreement with part of this statement.

Rape or any sexual crime = not castration but total removal of sexual organs.
I think the victim (if still living) and the victim's family (if the victim had passed) should have a say on the punishment of the accused. Anything up to and including a personal touch with the same crime perpatrated to the perpatrator. That would also hold true with the convers; if said victim forgave and forgot, the perp can walk.
I absolutely agree with the death penalty. Unlike many, however, I don't have as much of an issue with the length of time it takes to get from Point A to Point B. Why? Certainty.

On a visceral, emotional level, sure - I'd love to drag them from the courtroom to the gallows in one afternoon. But it's worth a few bucks to me to make sure that every possible appeal and every piece of evidence that could possibly exonerate the convicted has been thoroughly addressed. I don't look at it as paying to keep the guilty alive as much as I see it as paying to keep the INNOCENT alive.

If, after all is said and done, you're still guilty? Absolutely - make it quick and make it painful. But I'd rather take a few years to be sure we're not getting the innocent guy shocked.

Think of it this way - if you were convicted of a crime in 1975, and had been executed in 1977, you'd have been dead for YEARS before they discovered the importance of DNA evidence that may have proven your innocence. How much is that worth to you?
Not much honestly. Nobody knew about DNA back then, an if all other evidance proved the convicted guilty, the execution is perfectly alowable. Now if the convicted truely was innocent, and put to death, it would be a tragidy, but unavoidable. Anyways, of those on death row, few if any are innocent. Would you spend millions keeping 10,000 prisoners alive, waiting to be put to death, when one or two MAY be innocent? Where do you draw the line?
none the less, it is now 2008 and we know about DNA evidence. I'm not concerned about quickness of justice, I just don't want tax money going towards keeping scum housed and fed three times daily. I think that the sheriff of my old county had a good idea, let the prisoners farm and work for their food, if they don't work, they don't eat. People on death row, especially when there is no reasonable doubt of guilt (DNA or otherwise) That should be it, let them die, let them fry. And I don't think Insanity is a fair plea either.
I've done work in maximum security prisons in the past. The level 6 prisoners (worst ones) are stuck in a very small cell for 23 hours a day. They're treated like animals. They go stir crazy. I think the death penalty lets them off easy but I'm not against it because the anticipation has to be tormenting.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
The cost to keep someone in prison in 1996 was somewhere around $20,000/year (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.prisonpolicy.org/prisonindex/prisonindustry.html">http://www.prisonpolicy.org/prisonindex ... ustry.html</a><!-- m -->). Adjusting for inflation at 4%/year, that is $32,000. Inmates who would be considered for the death penalty spend about 30? years in prison (I'm guessing here). That's upwards of almost $1m per prisoner that could be saved by enforcing the death penalty.

Now, my favorite movie is The Shawshank Redemption, so I know full well that innocent men go to prison. However I also know that most prisoners are in fact guilty and many are not remorseful. I say, kill those who are not remorseful, have no desire to live, or have absolutely irreversible evidence against them. Rather than punishing the criminal for his wrongdoings, I'd like to see then wiped clean off the earth.
That's what she said.
I saw The Green Mile so I know everything about death penalty's and prison and angels.
Jo Wrote:I saw The Green Mile so I know everything about death penalty's and prison and angels.

What a coincidence! I saw Superman and now I can fly!
meow, hiss hiss
hotzester Wrote:I absolutely agree with the death penalty. Unlike many, however, I don't have as much of an issue with the length of time it takes to get from Point A to Point B. Why? Certainty.

On a visceral, emotional level, sure - I'd love to drag them from the courtroom to the gallows in one afternoon. But it's worth a few bucks to me to make sure that every possible appeal and every piece of evidence that could possibly exonerate the convicted has been thoroughly addressed. I don't look at it as paying to keep the guilty alive as much as I see it as paying to keep the INNOCENT alive.

If, after all is said and done, you're still guilty? Absolutely - make it quick and make it painful. But I'd rather take a few years to be sure we're not getting the innocent guy shocked.

Think of it this way - if you were convicted of a crime in 1975, and had been executed in 1977, you'd have been dead for YEARS before they discovered the importance of DNA evidence that may have proven your innocence. How much is that worth to you?

There you go effin up another thread with REASON. Can't we go medieval every once in a while?

Off with their heads.
i thought about this forever, and couldn't come up with a straight answer. then i thought about abortion and how i think, in some cases, it should be acceptable. so it's hard for me to say that the death penalty is wrong.

i could never be the executioner, though.
I believe punishment should meeet or exceed the crime when it scomes to molestation, rape and premeditated murder. Eye for an eye way of doin things... And hell, I do not believe they need to sit around in prison too long either. Hook'em, Book'em..Kill'em...Tag'em & Bag'em. gee dee Right.
trojanmatt Wrote:I believe punishment should meeet or exceed the crime when it scomes to molestation, rape and premeditated murder. Eye for an eye way of doin things... And hell, I do not believe they need to sit around in prison too long either. Hook'em, Book'em..Kill'em...Tag'em & Bag'em. gee dee Right.

After that, we should skin'em, hang'em on our wall, then we should eat'em.

gee dee right
speedbump Wrote:
trojanmatt Wrote:I believe punishment should meeet or exceed the crime when it scomes to molestation, rape and premeditated murder. Eye for an eye way of doin things... And hell, I do not believe they need to sit around in prison too long either. Hook'em, Book'em..Kill'em...Tag'em & Bag'em. gee dee Right.

After that, we should skin'em, hang'em on our wall, then we should eat'em.

gee dee right

Not even a hint of sarcasm there SB
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
sunshyne Wrote:I just don't want tax money going towards keeping scum housed and fed three times daily.
Sounds like the AIG bailout to me.
wingospagettio Wrote:
sunshyne Wrote:I just don't want tax money going towards keeping scum housed and fed three times daily.
Sounds like the AIG bailout to me.

Ya, every one at AIG needs a good execution Undecided
Honestly, if the pecker killed/raped/stalked/scared a child...burn them alive for all i care!
THE EVER LOVING JAYDETHESPAZ
burn them all o ya i have a good reason they need more death penalty because the working people have to pay for prisoners to live in prison
The thing is, we're all allowed appeals. In theory, we can appeal most cases all the way to the Supreme Court if we want to.

"New evidence" argument aside, I still think they should be allowed to go through the appellate process just like the rest of us, until all of their options have been exhausted. It's just how the system works.

On an emotional level yeah, I'd love to see the f'ers fry in 24 hours. But that would make a mess of our judicial system.
My first thought is execute. But, if your religious, I've heard the argument that when you do you rob God of someone who could possibly have really repented. Probably not, and no way for us to know for sure. So lock them away forever with bare essentials, no need to spend so much. I guess i'm on the fence.
arik231 Wrote:burn them all o ya i have a good reason they need more death penalty because the working people have to pay for prisoners to live in prison

yea what the hell is up with that? granted i'm glad that they get put away, but why do we, the hard working people of america have to pay for them?
jaydethespaz Wrote:
arik231 Wrote:burn them all o ya i have a good reason they need more death penalty because the working people have to pay for prisoners to live in prison

yea what the hell is up with that? granted i'm glad that they get put away, but why do we, the hard working people of america have to pay for them?

For the same reason hard working people of america have to pay for the FDA to tell hersheys they cant call their candy milk chocolate anymore, and for the FCC to get people fired that use bad words on the radio or TV.

I love paying taxes
the whole thing is just lame. i wish we could go back to the good old days where taxes weren't an issue. (like b.c)