Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When and how did you start listening?
I have listened since they first came on the Hawk in Concord, NH, then found them on the BONE in Maine. Boy when they left the airwaves back this past winter I bought the podcast to find out they stayed on the air... what a mess!!! Glad they stayed everything else is lame in comparrison.
for me, it was 2 years ago after i hit the working world. i had a half hour commute, and the guy i first carpooled with listened (neither of us are morning people, and hated talking to each other)
I started listening probably in September of 2007. I used to listen to NPR both ways to work, then they started replaying the same stories during the morning commute as the afternoon commute so I needed to switch my mornings up.

I know, I'm lame for listening to NPR.

Anyway it took me about a week to get into FBHW but hooked now, funny stuff.
smedley Wrote:I started listening in when they came to GR, (2005?) so I vaguely remember the pre Joe stunts. The show has gotten better and better.
I think it was '04, and yes, the show has gotten a lot better. Heck, it's still getting better. The only mistake was getting rid of the Dude.
1st off - I never, EVER listened to talk radio & I absolutely loathe morning shows...

But one day I was flipping through the stations & found myself in the middle of a Joe stunt... at the laundromat...

"What? It sucked me in!!"

ahahaha

My mornings havent been the same since Wink
i'm a delivery driver for a produce company out of detroit, and my route is kzoo, portage and battle creek. sadly i too was in the bob and tom malaise as well, also listened to the lame kzoo morning show on 107.7 (god, they play music most of the time).

well, the radio in my old truck couldn't pull the signals from grand rapids, but when i got a new one in february, that is when i discovered this show. i dig it, and i hope the fellas keep it going for a long time to come.
"may 2007" ive listened to every podcast from beginning to end since!!!!
I bought a new car last October. My old car didn't have a radio. I've been a fan of 102.9 The Buzz for over ten years though so I turned it on when I got my new ride, on the way to work one morning and the first show I ever heard was The Cuban doing belly flops in the pool. Been listening ever since that day.
Cassie, it's funny you mentioned a station called 'The River'. I first heard FB & HW when they were on KIWR - The River at Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, IA back in the 90s. After we moved to Philly, my wife happened to hear them on the Trenton station, which has since flipped format. Now we're podcast only.
Mark the Valet Wrote:I used to listen to Bob and Tom but I got fed up with them. I didn't understand why they'd laugh so hysterically at things that were not remotely funny.

So I started cruising for strange. I prefer hispanic chicks, so I'd cruise Murfreesboro Rd. and listen to Dave Ramsey while cranking one out...none were filling the void.

Then something magical happened. I spiderwebbed my steering wheel (I'd say April of 07) and I haven't looked back since.

We need to have a talk, young man.

(Like every other Nashville person, when 102.9 was taken over I found that the show I had listened to for years sucked. Loved Chick though)
I listen to the show Via Q103 in Albany,and have been listening since they lost Howard Stern.I'm a truck driver and I'm in the surrounding area quite frequently.I live a hour and a half west of Albany and can pick up the 103.5 signal pretty good,a little fuzzy sometimes.When I first heard the show I thought it sucked,but then it grew on me,I've been a fan ever since.
i think the fisrst time i started listening was when "mo"ron and don show was here, i was flipping threw and just got hooked i think it was the pa pranks and working for a local retailer of course i thought they were funny as hell
I was working my summer job 3-4 years ago and was flipping to find something interesting....I came upon FBHW during dumber than zane and laughed for the whole thing. The guy I worked with and I would turn it on in the truck and do very little work until they were off the air. Been a loyal listener ever since, and even got my mom to start listening recently.
Do what's right....even when no one is looking.
danno Wrote:I listed to the morning show that was on before FB&HW here in GR, it was called the S&M show. I was way bummed when it was replaced with these guys, definately didn't like them at first. But I've gotten used to them, and love them now. None of the other local shows can compare!

I also used to listen to S&M. When Free Beer and Hot Wings came in, I thought they were douchebags with stupid names. Little did I know they would be the best thing to happen to morning radio. And after listening to the show Friday not real sure why I was so into the S&M show...
I had just started workin at Steelecase in 05 and it was right around when Joe started. The first day I listened Joe was trying to do those lead-in's to songs where you talk and end what you're saying right as the singer starts to sing. They gave Joe "Thriller" from Micheal Jackson that has like a 40 sec+ into. Everytime he started to talk, out came, "How's it going everyobody?" and Zane kept yelling at him not to start off that way. I never knew radio could be so funny.
they took over for bob and tom here in nashville on 1029 the buzz a couple years ago. Pretty much the only station that plays metal and rock and classic rock.
My "Start Listening" story seems to be pretty much the norm.

I used to listen to Bob and Tom when I lived in Grand Rapids, my roommate listened to FB&HW but I thought it was such a stupid name I would not listen to it. He told me it was really funny so I started to listen during breaks, and never went back.

Now I live in NYC and listen to the podcast everyday.
I started listening about 2 1/2 years ago when they were on in the Philly area. My husband listened to them and told me about the show. I worked in Jersey at the time and always listened on my half hour drive. There were many times I would sit in the parking lot at work waiting until the last possible second to go clock in to listen to the show. Once I was late because I was playing name that tune.

Now I Podcast.
Probably about 2 years ago when my boyfriend and his friends were listening to it every day. Now it is part of my every day life. It's what keeps me sane through work.
In my carpool we used to always flip through the stations, then one morning we heard "Name that tune"... so every Friday we would be sure to tune it in. NOW, it never leaves the station!! We love Freebeer and Hotwings.

I am trying to convert my husband but he is still stuck on Ray Lytle. We listened to Ray and the Morning Disaster for years. Now I think he is a big whiney baby!! I can't stand to hear him anymore!!!
I started listening when they first came on the air here in Lima. At first I was pissed because I liked the morning show Lima did with a local dj, but for some reason I got sucked in. I have always hated talk radio, but these guys are just hilarious, and now I'm hooked.
So, I had listened to bob and tom for like 3 years with my husband everyday on the way into work. Well, around Thanksgiving of 2006, they announced that bob and tom was going off the air in our area and they were bringing in Freebeer and hot wings, which they had been playing random drops from their show on the radio(102.9) and giving away "free beer and hot wings" with promotional items. Well, the time came and bob and tom were gone and free beer and hot wings were here. Needless to say, I have been a podcaster ever since the second week they were on in Nashville, I love these guys. I have never had a dull moment listening to these guys, I swear I must have over 1000 podcast segments saved on my ipod now. Obsessed, I think so. I do believe that one day Hot Wings will be my baby daddy and IPJ and Loose Wendy and I will live together on an island on the caribbean....ok, just had to fulfill some of the guys fantasies on here ;D
I started listening on the bone in maine after my dad told me about joe's stunt where he tries to sell snow angels for college...ever since then i listen everyday...and now i get the podcast
i was listening to b&t , when i got to work and got inside the building i couldnt pick them up, so i was trying to get something else on the radio ,and found these guys ,been listening ever since,even on my way to work, dont even know if b&t are still on anymore actually dont care,just ordered a fb&hw t-shirt ,ya know ya love the show when you seek out and buy there shirt,when you can get other radio t-shirts for free,im going to wear it proudly,keep up the good job guys!!!!!!
We started listening to FB&HW about two years ago, I remember being in labor on my way to the hospital laughing my butt off between contractions.. My husband sat in the car and listened while I was waiting for our son to make his debut.
I started listening to them the first day they were on the air in Grand Rapids. I've listened every morning that I possibly can, since then. The first thing I truly remember from the show is when Free Beer and Zane slammed their head in a file cabinate, with Hot Wings' motorcycle helmet on. I'm sure if I thought about it more, I'd remember other things, but it's 2:30am, I've been up since 11 something AM yesterday, and only got about 4 hours of sleep then. haha.
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread until just now. Anydangway...

It was July of '04 when I first started to listen. Up to that point I made the effort to avoid the show, because I figured that anybody with a name that stupid couldn't be worth listening to. Right around the 4th, I was driving to work one morning, none of the "normal" stations for me had anything good on, so I figured I'd break down and give FBHW a listen. They were doing the fireworks in the sink bit at the time, and I loved it.

I tuned in the next few mornings to listen some more. The guys were on vacation, so I wasn't able to listen to much, but what I did hear during "best of" cracked me up. I made sure to listen the first day they were back live again, and enjoyed what I heard again, and from then on out, that was that. I was hooked.
I don't remember exactly how or exactly when, but I do distinctly remember playing them over the store radio during my first job in 2003. I opened the store every morning alone so I'd put 105.7 The Hawk on and when my boss came in she'd always yell at me because she wanted soft, relaxing music to be playing (she was a yuppie yoga person). F that. Anyway I've probably been listening since 2002.
That's what she said.
Some time in 2004 I turned on the radio in the car for once because I was tired of my CDs. I turned it to 97.9 and there they were. I never liked morning shows, but I heard them making fun of other radio shows so I thought maybe they were different. I listened any time I was in the car when they were on for the next few years, then about two years ago I started subscribing to the podcast and haven't missed much since.
wienerpoopie Wrote:94.5 used to have Howard Stern but when he went to XM i started with 97.9 and been there ever sense.
94.5 is now a country station.... 107.3 is KLQ now....
However, my story is the same as Weinerpoopie's
boizalynne Wrote:
wienerpoopie Wrote:94.5 used to have Howard Stern but when he went to XM i started with 97.9 and been there ever sense.
94.5 is now a country station.... 107.3 is KLQ now....

Stern used to be on 94.5, though, before the format switch to country.
It was a few years ago, probably '05. I always heard people talk about it, and the hawk plays clips throughout the day of a funny moment from that mornings show, so I finally just turned it on in the morning. I found that it was stuff I could really relate to (I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing) and now I rarely miss a moment because I listen before, on the way to and at work.
potthole Wrote:
boizalynne Wrote:94.5 is now a country station.... 107.3 is KLQ now....

Stern used to be on 94.5, though, before the format switch to country.
Yes yes, I am aware... However I was trying to clear that up in case anyone did not know that 94.5 USED to be KLQ... You see? Wink
boizalynne Wrote:
potthole Wrote:Stern used to be on 94.5, though, before the format switch to country.
Yes yes, I am aware... However I was trying to clear that up in case anyone did not know that 94.5 USED to be KLQ... You see? Wink

Gotcha. Makes sense now.