Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1800's chick advice about sex
This was funny. Started thinking, has my husband read this book, because it seems that it is a reverse at our house. I'm begging, he isn't. lol.
That topic was just baffling. I'm surprised we managed to survive as a species if that's how they handled sex back then.
This could be a hoax...

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/advice.asp
jvn8109 Wrote:This could be a hoax...

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/advice.asp

That's a bummer, part of me wants that to be real. :'(
Actually, that's kind of a relief. Though the fact that this is so believable is a little scary.
Ya know, I caught the "turn off the lights" thing too, but didn't even put two and two together about it being a fake. Damn, I usually catch that crap too!
From the beginning I was skeptical, that would have been way too lascivious to publish in the '40's and '50's even. It was slutty to show an ankle, she'd have been crucified for writing that BS. I'm glad it's fake, normally I'd say prudes need to open their mouth more but for Ruth Smythers I make an exception.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
As with all good humor, this spoof contains hints truth when it came to the attitudes of the day in the 1800's. In college I did an essay an Victorian sexual practices and attitudes and although it was a long time ago when I did the research, I remember it was some pretty repressive, crazy shit.

My mom was big into trying to shame me into throwing away my sexual experimentation when I was young. I was told that I would go blind if I played with myself to much. See my post in "have you ever been caught". Those weren't the only things that happened.
She had to get those ideas from someplace.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
That is how they thought, especially in Victorian times, when a mother told her daughter her marital "duties" the night before the wedding. But other than that, it wasn't spoken about, let alone written about.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
Krystal Wrote:That is how they thought, especially in Victorian times, when a mother told her daughter her marital "duties" the night before the wedding. But other than that, it wasn't spoken about, let alone written about.

That is not necessarily true, have you ever heard of the Canterbury Tales or The Marque De Sade? As much as they wanted to squelch sexuality, they just couldn't even in their own times. Thank you Saint Agusta. They F'd it up pretty well however for people even to this day.
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Mad Dog Wrote:
Krystal Wrote:That is how they thought, especially in Victorian times, when a mother told her daughter her marital "duties" the night before the wedding. But other than that, it wasn't spoken about, let alone written about.

That is not necessarily true, have you ever heard of the Canterbury Tales or The Marque De Sade? As much as they wanted to squelch sexuality, they just couldn't even in their own times. Thank you Saint Agusta. They F'd it up pretty well however for people even to this day.

Yes, but in most cases it was for literary purposes. the Marquis de Sade was sensationalist. This is supposed to be used as a pamplet for well-brought-up girls in a culture where only whores and mistresses were able to express sexuality, though they were also condemned for it. You have to think that this was a time when vibrators (yes, dirty girl toys) were created and used on girls because they cured "ill-humors" (and I'm sure they did!). Sexuality was a sin. Just lay back and think of England.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
Krys, I think you and I are pretty much in agreement here on this particular topic. You get no argument from me +1

At least now a days (hopefully) even in the most repressive religions married sexuality is not considered a sin. Personally, I hope that we progress to the point that any sexuality is not considered sinful, but rather taken into consideration as whether or not it is appropriate for the persons age or if its consensual or not. Not everything sexual is good, nor is everything sexual is bad. But the stigma of "Sin" heaps unneeded guilt and condemnation on people and tends to F- up peoples lives.

By the way, are those you actual legs in your Avatar?? **wolf whistle**
Mad Dog Wrote:At least now a days (hopefully) even in the most repressive religions married sexuality is not considered a sin.

I completely agree with your view, but I have to point out a religion that affects millions that considers sexuality sinful- Islam. I'm not just talking about the dirt status of women, even the men in that society are sexually repressed with the complete separation of the genders and "only behind closed doors" mindset. Why is terrorism so appealing to young men of Islam? They are promised 72 virgins when they get to heaven.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.