Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Belt Laws
Do they save lives? Sure however, I think that it should be your choice to wear them.
In my opinion, this law is nothing more than a reason to pull you over and take your cash.

You are protected in a car far better than on a motorcycle.
So when was the last time you seen someone on a motorcycle wearing a seat belt?

With that said, Bikers should also have the option to wear a helmet.
I agree with your statement. However, the issue becomes liability. If you accidently run into me on a snow slick road and you were not wearing your seatbelt, should your insurance company be responsible for any additional injuries you receive because you were driving in an unsafe manner? Where do you draw the line?
I was for awhile against people being forced to wear seat belts, I figured "survival of the smartest", but my boss told me what if a parent with little childern (who are buckled in) are in an accident where the vehicle rolls and the parent flys around the inside of the vehicle, their body becomes a projectile and the children could be injured or killed. I think the same goes when you are riding with anyone else in the vehicle.
I think it is a good law for stupid people. And I am sorry if I offend others by saying that, but the hard cold truth is that you are, 90% of the time, safer when driving with a seatbelt on. My father used to refuse to wear a seat belt until it saved the lives of 2 of his grandchildren in a wreck. Then he changed his stubborn mind and admitted that the only reason he didn't want to wear one was because "someone was telling him he had to do something, and at his age, there was only one person that was going to tell him what to do . . . my Mother." Then I pointed out to my father that wearing a seatbelt had also saved my Mother's life several times (11 to be exact). My Mother had epilepsy and would have seizures while driving. Now I know somebody out there is going to say, why did you let her drive. Well for one, I was her child, I didn't much talk back to my Mother for fear of getting a slap across the face. Also, I was a child or teen during most of the accidents. Don't think I didn't try to do it anonymously with the Safety Department for the State of Tennessee, because I did twice. I also contacted her doctor and his reasoning was that of all of his epilepsy patients, not one single one had ever fatally hurt themselves or anybody else, and to take that freedom would be devastating to the patient. Ok, I stopped arguing about Mom driving; however, I didn't worry as much because I knew she had her seatbelt on. If only wearing a seatbelt would have stopped the cancer that took her life.

WRT wearing a helmet while riding a bike (that does not have a seatbelt). Have you ever thought about why a motorcycle does not have a seatbelt? What good would a seatbelt do for a rider on a motorcycle. It would keep you attached to an apparatus that, if you wreck, you would be on the outside of. Imagine being attached to the outside of a car and it rolling end over end. That wouldn't be very smart, would it? You would probably have a better chance of survival if you weren't attached to it. I know it is safer to ride in a car than on a motorcycle, but to those that opt to ride (and I have and will ride again), they also opt to take that chance. I also know that the only between me and the pavement would be a helmet.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
kidrockford Wrote:You are protected in a car far better than on a motorcycle.

Is this a serious question?

You can't slam your face/head into a windshield or steering wheel if you're driving a motorcycle.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be attached to something that, being 1000 lbs of hot metal, would probably end up on top of me and just grind me into the pavement. Cars & seat belt VS motorcycles & seat belts, not really a good comparison. Apples and bananas.
sunshyne Wrote:Personally, I would want to be attached to something that, being 1000 lbs, would probably end up on top of me and just grind me with Apples and bananas.

fixed. Sorry, had to do it. Big Grin
lol, does it have to be on top of me?
It doesn't matter to me what the law says. I wear my seat belt no matter what. I feel naked without it. Even in a parking lot....

Good point about insurance companies airhorn.

Is there anyone here that refuses to wear a seatbelt in a car? If you refuse to wear one, I'm curious as to why. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see any reason NOT to wear one.
I think the opponents to the law are more concerned with the, "The gobment ain't gon tell me wat to do!" part of the arguement.
kidrockford Wrote:Do they save lives? Sure however, I think that it should be your choice to wear them.
In my opinion, this law is nothing more than a reason to pull you over and take your cash.
should it be illegal for kids to ride without seatbelts?
dingdongyo Wrote:
kidrockford Wrote:Do they save lives? Sure however, I think that it should be your choice to wear them.
should it be illegal for kids to ride without seatbelts?

ummm, isn't already?

Try getting 6 kids and 2 adults into a vehicle( my truck) with only six seatbelts.

That's how we roll.......
airhornahole Wrote:I think the opponents to the law are more concerned with the, "The gobment ain't gon tell me wat to do!" part of the arguement.

Gobment! What a fantastic spelling! It reminds me of Jim in Tom Sawyer. 8-)

I think it's so stupid when people do things just so they can say that they can't be told what to do.....stupid.....just stupid..... :-*
jus' P Wrote:
dingdongyo Wrote:should it be illegal for kids to ride without seatbelts?

ummm, isn't already?

Try getting 6 kids and 2 adults into a vehicle( my truck) with only six seatbelts.

ummm, it's illegal to ride without seatbelts as adults, too. in maine, anyway. i was posing it hypothetically.

just saying, if we force kids to do it because they don't have good judgment....
dingdongyo Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:ummm, isn't already?

ummm, it's illegal to ride without seatbelts as adults, too. in maine, anyway. i was posing it hypothetically.

just saying, if we force kids to do it because they don't have good judgment....

Sorry ding, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Undecided
jus' P Wrote:
dingdongyo Wrote:should it be illegal for kids to ride without seatbelts?

ummm, isn't already?

Whatever you do, don't mention the fact that just because there are only six seatbelts and 8 people, everybody is still buckled up. Maybe 2 in 1 and 2 in the another, but everybody is secured. We don't leave without being buckled up.

Now, that's how we roll . . . . Smile
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
jus' P Wrote:
dingdongyo Wrote:ummm, it's illegal to ride without seatbelts as adults, too. in maine, anyway. i was posing it hypothetically.

Sorry ding, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Undecided

if you don't wear a seatbelt, you're stupid
From the time I turned sixteen until I was about twenty four I absolutely refused to were a seatbelt. There were no seatbelt laws in Michigan at that time so I wasn't breaking any laws. When my daughter was born my wife reminded me that I was a father now and that I should probably wear my seat belt. I thought about it for a little while and started wearing it regularly.

That was at the beginning of February and within two weeks of my daughters birth some chick in a 78 Chevy pick-up with a homemade camper perched on top pulled left in front of me on a slippery intersection. I T-boned her going about 45 mph and the camper landed in a billion little pieces. She was ok but her brother that was riding with her smashed his head against the window and spider webbed it pretty bad. He sat in the front seat of the truck with a huge egg on his head, shaking and drooling. I had a little whiplash but that was it. The car was totaled.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
I say do away with the seatbelt laws, if you can tolerate the constant BING BING BING BING from not having it on, then going through a windshield should be no problem.

Any law put into effect to give cops another reason to write a ticket is just dumb when you know, there is real crime to worry about.
providencecrow Wrote:I say do away with the seatbelt laws, if you can tolerate the constant BING BING BING BING from not having it on, then going through a windshield should be no problem.

Any law put into effect to give cops another reason to write a ticket is just dumb when you know, there is real crime to worry about.

Say I'm driving along with my seatbelt on and someone not wearing a seatbelt pulls out in front of me. I slam into him and his dead body flies through the windshield and explodes all over the pavement. I'm going to have a hard time getting over that. I'll probably never be the same again, actually. That would be something that would haunt me for the rest of my life. When my kids grow up and start driving, I would be a basket case, staying up all night just knowing they're dead in a ditch somewhere or pinned up against a tree.

What I'm saying is if there were no seatbelt law, scenes like this would be a lot more commonplace, and it they wouldn't just have one victim.

Taking it further, rates would skyrocket many times more than they already are, since insurance companies would be paying out lot more death benefits and injury claims.
Fistor Wrote:
providencecrow Wrote:I say do away with the seatbelt laws, if you can tolerate the constant BING BING BING BING from not having it on, then going through a windshield should be no problem.

Say I'm driving along with my seatbelt on and someone not wearing a seatbelt pulls out in front of me. I slam into him and his dead body flies through the windshield and explodes all over the pavement. I'm going to have a hard time getting over that. I'll probably never be the same again, actually. That would be something that would haunt me for the rest of my life. When my kids grow up and start driving, I would be a basket case, staying up all night just knowing they're dead in a ditch somewhere or pinned up against a tree.

What I'm saying is if there were no seatbelt law, scenes like this would be a lot more commonplace, and it they wouldn't just have one victim.

Taking it further, rates would skyrocket many times more than they already are, since insurance companies would be paying out lot more death benefits and injury claims.

If this accident "were" to happen as in any accident, I would be scarred as well. The whole point of my post was to vent my opinion that we should have the choice to wear a seat belt. I do wear a seat belt by choice however, the law does not allow that freedom of choice no longer. I got a ticket over the summer for not wearing one. I traveled 2 city blocks from my office to our warehouse and while in a hurry, I failed to strap it on. The police officer coming the opposite way happened to take notice and popped me. I realize it is my mistake and paid the fine. What really burns me is that I have seen the police driving several times in downtown G-Rap NOT wearing a seat belt. Who monitors them?

The point I was trying to get across comparing the car vs. motorcycle is that if this law was made for the safety factor, how come I can ride my motorcycle with the helmet being the only source of protection? If I get in a wreck on my bike, the odds favor me getting busted up worse than if I were in a car not wearing a seatbelt. But I choose to ride knowing the risks. A biker is more at risk being thrown into another car when in an accident. Again, my point is freedom of choice.

You mentioned insurance. Insurance companies raise rates you use it, why dont they give a rebate if you dont have any accidents or tickets. If you know of an insurance company that does this, please post the name of them.
Fistor Wrote:

Maybe i'm just crazy because im an advocate of personal responsibility. If you're dumb enough to put yourself in a situation where you will fly through a windsheild, despite the fact there has been an indicator on the effing dashboard since the 70s to drive you nuts when you arent buckled, then it's your problem, not the governments job to slap you on the wrist.

Granted it would not be a fun time to actually witness that happen, but you can't feel sorry for someone. A perfect example, i'm a smoker, and if i get lung cancer and die, and anyone feels sorry for me or even sad about it then i will come back as a zombie and kill them all. It was my choice to smoke, and thusly i should be blamed for my own doings, and not have people be like "Oh thats so sad" even if its family.
providencecrow Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:Say I'm driving along with my seatbelt on and someone not wearing a seatbelt pulls out in front of me. I slam into him and his dead body flies through the windshield and explodes all over the pavement. I'm going to have a hard time getting over that. I'll probably never be the same again, actually. That would be something that would haunt me for the rest of my life. When my kids grow up and start driving, I would be a basket case, staying up all night just knowing they're dead in a ditch somewhere or pinned up against a tree.

Maybe i'm just crazy because im an advocate of personal responsibility. If you're dumb enough to put yourself in a situation where you will fly through a windsheild, despite the fact there has been an indicator on the effing dashboard since the 70s to drive you nuts when you arent buckled, then it's your problem, not the governments job to slap you on the wrist.

Granted it would not be a fun time to actually witness that happen, but you can't feel sorry for someone. A perfect example, i'm a smoker, and if i get lung cancer and die, and anyone feels sorry for me or even sad about it then i will come back as a zombie and kill them all. It was my choice to smoke, and thusly i should be blamed for my own doings, and not have people be like "Oh thats so sad" even if its family.

It's not a matter of feeling sorry that they died, it's seeing their brain lying next to their body in a pool of blood. That image might haunt someone for a while.
providencecrow Wrote:Maybe i'm just crazy because im an advocate of personal responsibility. If you're dumb enough to put yourself in a situation where you will fly through a windsheild, despite the fact there has been an indicator on the effing dashboard since the 70s to drive you nuts when you arent buckled, then it's your problem, not the governments job to slap you on the wrist.
i don't think you're crazy, but i see it as part of the responsibility of being on the road. it's illegal to drive with an unregistered car, without a license, without insurance... none of these are technically necessary to drive or hurt anybody else directly, either.
if you're going to get in a car, use it right.
Seat belts are my friend. I've walked away from two really bad accidents and probably wouldn't have if I wasn't wearing my seat belt. I don't think the law really scares people into wearing seat belts, but if you are complaining that the law shouldn't govern your safety then a lot of things would be legal. Do you think babies shouldn't have to sit in carseats? Do you think it should be legal for children to smoke and drink? It's just the government trying to keep its people safe, if you're going to complain about that then maybe you should watch the news. There are much worse things the government does than make you wear your seat belt.
That's what she said.
speedbump Wrote:
providencecrow Wrote:Maybe i'm just crazy because im an advocate of personal responsibility. If you're dumb enough to put yourself in a situation where you will fly through a windsheild, despite the fact there has been an indicator on the effing dashboard since the 70s to drive you nuts when you arent buckled, then it's your problem, not the governments job to slap you on the wrist.

It's not a matter of feeling sorry that they died, it's seeing their brain lying next to their body in a pool of blood. That image might haunt someone for a while.

So then get some therapy, buy some pills, and help out the economy, it's win win.
providencecrow Wrote:
speedbump Wrote:It's not a matter of feeling sorry that they died, it's seeing their brain lying next to their body in a pool of blood. That image might haunt someone for a while.

So then get some therapy, buy some pills, and help out the economy, it's win win.

Good one, I laughed.
Hey the more dead by not wearing the belt the better. It's one less jackass the limited supply of social security will have to cover.
I ride a scooter and have a moped sticker for it. Even though state law doesn't require moped riders to wear a helmet, I wear one anyway. If the law didn't require drivers to wear a seatbelt, I'd wear one anyway.

Not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt doesn't affect the safety of other drivers on the road, both should be optional under the law.
Quote:Not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt doesn't affect the safety of other drivers on the road, both should be optional under the law.

Not always true. Without a seatbelt, that driver risks being moved out of the driver's position, the only place he/she can attempt to regain control of the vehicle. Without someone controlling the vehicle, it's entirely possible that the car can go up on a sidewalk and hit someone, go through a storefront, strike another car, or just sit in the middle of the intersection. Keeping the driver in the driver's position is absolutely necessary for the safety of others.
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:Not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt doesn't affect the safety of other drivers on the road, both should be optional under the law.

Not always true. Without a seatbelt, that driver risks being moved out of the driver's position, the only place he/she can attempt to regain control of the vehicle. Without someone controlling the vehicle, it's entirely possible that the car can go up on a sidewalk and hit someone, go through a storefront, strike another car, or just sit in the middle of the intersection. Keeping the driver in the driver's position is absolutely necessary for the safety of others.

Never thought of it like that.
Neither did I, until someone to whom it had happened told me about an accident he had.

I'm very much in favor of people being allowed to make their own destiny. I'm very anti-helmet laws...I wear a helmet, but I don't think you should HAVE TO...it should be your choice, and you're a retard if you don't. But I flip flopped on the seatbelt thing after being told that story.
hotzester Wrote:Neither did I, until someone to whom it had happened told me about an accident he had.

I'm very much in favor of people being allowed to make their own destiny. I'm very anti-helmet laws...I wear a helmet, but I don't think you should HAVE TO...it should be your choice, and you're a retard if you don't. But I flip flopped on the seatbelt thing after being told that story.

I think I'm going to have to flip-flop as well.
[quote author=allyson board=politics thread=2176 post=47671 time=1225387585]Seat belts are my friend. I've walked away from two really bad accidents and probably wouldn't have if I wasn't wearing my seat belt. quote]
All the more reason to get women out from behind the wheel Smile j/k helmets are not required in minnesota Imon the fence about having to wear seatbelts. I drive for a living and that makes me want to wear them. Way too many stupid drivers and things I see everyday
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!

You are protected in a car far better than on a motorcycle.

With that said, Bikers should also have the option to wear a helmet.
It should not be against the law to drive with out your seat belt once your of age..under 18 should be..as far as motorcycles go Id say the same thing 18 and over your choice although any body that doesnt wear a seatbelt or helmet is a fool
airhornahole Wrote:I agree with your statement. However, the issue becomes liability. If you accidently run into me on a snow slick road and you were not wearing your seatbelt, should your insurance company be responsible for any additional injuries you receive because you were driving in an unsafe manner? Where do you draw the line?

hotzester Wrote:

Case closed. Nothing else needs to be said.