Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colored People
A few weeks ago a couple friend of ours had a baby. While we were visiting them in the hospital a co-worker of hers came up with his wife and their little guy. I would say he is in his late 20's to early 30's. While they were talking it turned out that their son was born in the exact same room in the exact same hospital. He then asked our friend who her nurse was and after she answered he said, "We had a nice colored gal."

Now I've heard my Grandfather and people of the "older" generation using the term "colored people" but I haven't heard it from a 30 something....ever. I tend to think the term is a little on the racist side, but what say the rest of you? He really caught me off guard when he said it in full stride like it was everyday common language.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
i would agree, either slightly racist or extremely naive.

I use Black...is that on the out still? I don't use it often but am usually hesitant for some reason.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Shyah, that's a touch outdated. I find the people that say "colored people" usually describe blacks as n-words behind closed doors, and trot out "colored people" when in mixed company, as if that's a more racially sensitive term.

I say black. I hardly ever use the term African American.
I use black as well. I refuse to use African-American. You're either African or American but not both.

I have actually heard a couple of people talking about the election and using the term "people of color" which I tend to cringe at as well.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
This person isn't racist, he's just ignorant. Black isn't a color, it is the absence of color.

[drop]I'm sthupid[/drop]
That's what she said.
landmammaldolphin Wrote:I use black as well. I refuse to use African-American. You're either African or American but not both.

You can be both, but only if you are from Africa and now you are in America. I'm not Caucasian, I don't even know where Caucasia is.

There is just no way to describe those who are non-white because everything is non-PC. Minorities and coloreds are offensive, so what do I call them? Exotic?
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:
landmammaldolphin Wrote:I use black as well. I refuse to use African-American. You're either African or American but not both.

You can be both, but only if you are from Africa and now you are in America. I'm not Caucasian, I don't even know where Caucasia is.

There is just no way to describe those who are non-white because everything is non-PC. Minorities and coloreds are offensive, so what do I call them? Exotic?

What's wrong with saying black and Hispanic?
Where is that smiley with an X over it's mouth when you need it?
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Fistor Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:You can be both, but only if you are from Africa and now you are in America. I'm not Caucasian, I don't even know where Caucasia is.

What's wrong with saying black and Hispanic?

Absolutely nothing, which is why I use them. I'd just like a general term to describe all "people of color" that won't get me shot.
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:You can be both, but only if you are from Africa and now you are in America. I'm not Caucasian, I don't even know where Caucasia is.

So if I'm from South Africa and I was born there but I'm white, should I still be called an African-American? IMO, if you are from Africa but you are just here in America, you are African. If you are from Africa but you are an American citizen you are American.

I have to agree on the caucasion thing. I'm white. Of course Chinaman is Caucasian...if you've seen his show you will get that.
Allyson Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:What's wrong with saying black and Hispanic?

Absolutely nothing, which is why I use them. I'd just like a general term to describe all "people of color" that won't get me shot.

Just make up a term. Like Zyphoids.
"We'll never be able to see each other as the same until we stop pointing out how we're different."

-Me, 1999
Zyphoids. I like that and shall use it in the future.

And LMD, I do mean American citizen, of course not just visiting. Dual citizenship will get you a hyphenated name. With all the different races coming from different places, it does get difficult to distinguish who is from where and therefore is difficult to place PC tags on them. Like you said, white from South Africa... or what about Dominicans? They are Hispanic but most of them are black as night. And what about Russians? They are usually white-ish but they are technically Asian.

Actually I am part Russian and put on my college applications that I was part Asian to get the minority edge.
That's what she said.
Allyson, I have to agree about dual-citizenship.
My daughter, as a toddler referred to her friend as being chocolate. I always thought that was cute. Some may disagree. African American is PC BS.

If they don't want to be called the "N word", maybe they should A), stop using it themselves. B) stop perpetuating the stereo type

cracker please
Allyson Wrote:With all the different races coming from different places, it does get difficult to distinguish who is from where and therefore is difficult to place PC tags on them.

I totally agree. While I don't want to offend anybody, calling someone Asian instead of Chinese or Japanese has gotten me dirty looks before.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I'm actually surprised by that Queenie. Now I did learn not to call them Oriental because as I was told "Oriental is a rug and a flavor of Ramen Noodles, not a race." She's still a friend though so I don't think I pissed her off too badly.
Yea, whoever was offended for being called Asian can shove it. Seriously, if you want me to get that specific I would need an entire semester on the geography of Asia because as far as I know there are about 20,000 countries in Asia and most of those from Eastern Asia look the alike.
That's what she said.
potawatomi-dutch-american here
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:potawatomi-dutch-american here

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time coming up with a racial slur in this instance. Little help?
Fistor Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:potawatomi-dutch-american here

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time coming up with a racial slur in this instance. Little help?

i was thinking less slur and more stereotype

like, it's hard for me to give you a gift, but once i do you can expect me to want it back...

whatcha think?
While young and naive I once told some black kids that they were "negros". I don't use the term African-American. I use "black". If someone tells me they are African American I ask them how long they've been in the United States.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:While young and naive I once told some black kids that they were "negros". I don't use the term African-American. I use "black". If someone tells me they are African American I ask them how long they've been in the United States.

If they want to isolate themselves from the rest of society then the isolating factor will have to be something that makes them differant. the only differance is the color of their skin. So black seems like a decent fit to me. Thats why i use it. If a stick wedges up their ass and turns when i say black then i guess i can use African American...but i won't on my own.

my .02
I think the whole point of NOT being racist is NOT differentiating between races! Why do you have to described someone in that way? I've never understood the need to catagorize anyone as black, african american, asian, etc. Why not describe them as who they are. That is not racist.
My old roomates mom was white and dad was black add she always referred to herself as a marble.
Allyson Wrote:[I'm not Caucasian, I don't even know where Caucasia is.

this made me chuckle 8-)
mainerliser Wrote:I think the whole point of NOT being racist is NOT differentiating between races! Why do you have to described someone in that way? I've never understood the need to catagorize anyone as black, african american, asian, etc. Why not describe them as who they are. That is not racist.

Lets say for example You go into a company and you are looking for a specific person and you knew they were named Jane bo Smith. If that person was black, yet the person you asked, didn't or wouldn't tell you that person was black, how would you find them?
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Mad Dog Wrote:
mainerliser Wrote:I think the whole point of NOT being racist is NOT differentiating between races! Why do you have to described someone in that way? I've never understood the need to catagorize anyone as black, african american, asian, etc. Why not describe them as who they are. That is not racist.

Lets say for example You go into a company and you are looking for a specific person and you knew they were named Jane bo Smith. If that person was black, yet the person you asked, didn't or wouldn't tell you that person was black, how would you find them?

-the one wearing the pink blouse
-the one with her hair up
-the one with glasses
-the one in the office that says "jane bo smith" on the outside

it's possible.

i'm hypersensitive because i come from an insensitive family that doesn't know they are. in fact, about 5 sentences after this one, my nephew just called me with a joke he thought was hilarious: since obama won the election, "we have to go to the cotton fields for orientation." (i had to backtrack and add that in. its exactly my point.) it makes me uncomfortable whenever anybody talks about it. i can find jokes clever, but hardly ever funny. a white guy makes a fried chicken joke and it's awful. dave chappelle does it, and he's a genius. it's not funny from either one, and i don't really care anyway. so i avoid it.
but i don't take offense to the same things. i'm pretty white. rick astley white. i just don't feel entitled to focus on color when discussing anybody else. nor do i find it necessary.
The term "African American" is the most ignorant thing you can say. See, one of my college professors is black, and he's from CANADA, NOT Africa!
hoogs Wrote:The term "African American" is the most ignorant thing you can say. See, one of my college professors is black, and he's from CANADA, NOT Africa!

It refers to more than the first generation. At some point, your college professor had an ancestor from Africa. Just like at some point my ancestors came from Europe.

That being said, you're right. I don't call myself "Anglo-American", because I was born in America and I am therefore just "American". The same should be true for anyone else. A black person born in America is an American. We create natural cultural divides when we separate people of different ethnicity's in to groups like "Asian-American" and "African-American". If all white people were referred to as "Anglo-American" then we would be on a level playing field, but they're not.
speedbump Wrote:
hoogs Wrote:The term "African American" is the most ignorant thing you can say. See, one of my college professors is black, and he's from CANADA, NOT Africa!

It refers to more than the first generation. At some point, your college professor had an ancestor from Africa. Just like at some point my ancestors came from Europe.

That being said, you're right. I don't call myself "Anglo-American", because I was born in America and I am therefore just "American". The same should be true for anyone else. A black person born in America is an American. We create natural cultural divides when we separate people of different ethnicity's in to groups like "Asian-American" and "African-American". If all white people were referred to as "Anglo-American" then we would be on a level playing field, but they're not.

"yeah, we want to be treated the same, but different..." equal but better. That stuff drives me nuts.

wow, Me and Speedy agree on something...
Poor Tiger Woods. He's Caublasian.
jus' P Wrote:
speedbump Wrote:It refers to more than the first generation. At some point, your college professor had an ancestor from Africa. Just like at some point my ancestors came from Europe.

"yeah, we want to be treated the same, but different..." equal but better. That stuff drives me nuts.

wow, Me and Speedy agree on something...

The planets must be aligned or something.
or its a sign of the apocolypse
My History: By Chlie Toris

After reviewing my genealogical records, I have determined the following:

1) I am a true Heinz 57 Mutt

2) My family slept with anything NOT nailed down. ( And a FEW things that were!)

As an example: Turns out OUR family is fond of trees, especially the knot-holes. They are environmentalists in the TRUE sense!!

I can trace my lineage to Ireland, France, Germany, Persia, Native Americans, two types of conifer and three types of terrier!

Do I expose my heritage to prove a point? NO... I'm tired of being arrested and questioned!!!

It is stupid to have quantifiers in front of "American"!! What kind of American are YOU?" I'm an American! It Really is that simple..

1) Are you a citizen of the U.S.?

2) Go back to # 1...
I call them black...but I dont see a problem with it-its not meant to be racist
Khef Wrote:Poor Tiger Woods. He's Caublasian.
Thats a good one except hes black and asian but thinks hes white
I def say black...If everyone in the world, including black folks, are going to call me white, I'm going to call them black. Hispanic, asians, sorry...calling you tan just doesn't narrow it down enough.

I absolutely hate political correctness...and I won't be surprised if I end up in jail because of it someday. Undecided
Allyson Wrote:This person isn't racist, he's just ignorant. Black isn't a color, it is the absence of color.

[drop]I'm sthupid[/drop]

White is the absence of color.

I'm sending this thread to Jesse Jackson.
Bang! Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:This person isn't racist, he's just ignorant. Black isn't a color, it is the absence of color.

[drop]I'm sthupid[/drop]

White is the absence of color.

I'm sending this thread to Jesse Jackson.

Black is the absence of color. White is the presence of all of the colors. (that is why a prism works.)
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."