Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dollar coins
So, Heartwell decided to declare November "$1 Coin Month." Good God. Why. Just why. http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?binobjid=8923

In other new, if you want to get rid of your uncool dollar bills, you can trade them in for heavier coins that don't stick to strippers on Nov. 12. "Watch for the promotional truck aimlessly driving around!"

Thoughts on the coins? Are they useless, or stupid?
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Until they eliminate the one dollar bill I won't use them. In fact, since they started the push in WM over a month ago I've not received a single one in change.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
The only way they will catch on is if McDonalds, WalMart, and other cash places use them exclusively. Force them as change and people will use them.
I'm so goth, I shit bats.
I'm with you Biff. Haven't seen one of the coins at all.
i put a $20 in a stamp vending machine once and got all dollar coins back. i use them on the turnpike.

i think they're pretty, and find them more useful than pennies.
Until they eliminate the $1 bill, no one will use them - which is why they should just do away with the paper. It would save a LOT of money to switch to dollar coins.

And, while we're at it, do away with pennies. Round cash transactions to the nearest nickel.
[drop]Nobody Cares[/drop]

Seriously....dollar coins? They've tried this in the past and we can see where that has landed them. Give it up already!
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
Our garage pay in lane only gives $1 coin change, the maximum rate is $10 so if you put in a $20... you guessed it.. It sounds like you hit the jackpot as those ten dollar coins clink into the tray.
I hear banks and different stores are only giving out the coins when you get change. I don't know about you but I don't want all that change in my pocket all the time.
Dollar coins are way more durable than bills. I think the average life span of a $1 bill is less a year, while coins will last 20+ years. But the Susie B.'s from the '80's were barely larger than a quarter and tended to get spent as such. The newer Sacajaweas and the presidential coins are a lot more appealing, IMO.

I haven't seen them circulated around W. Michigan, either. But I often ask for them at the bank and spend them around town. I also put them into my kid's Christmas stockings.

And what will the strippers do? They'll either have to start wearing g-strings with a coin slot or the bars will have to start giving change in $2 bills.
It won't matter, soon the dollar will be obsolete and all we will be able to use to buy stuff will be Obama Bucks.
cuppie Wrote:It won't matter, soon the dollar will be obsolete and all we will be able to use to buy stuff will be Obama Bucks.

Yes, now thats real "change" we can live with.

...oh god, did I just saying that. Big Grin
I've got no problem with dollar coins but I agree with the general feeling that no one is going to want them or use them until they stop printing dollar bills.

It says a lot about how no one is getting on board with dollar coins when the checkout lady at every store still gives you a funny look when you use one. It might as well be a Euro.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
It's going to be hard to go from the dollar bill to the dollar coin. Think of all the vending machines they'll have to change over. I don't know if any of them accept dollar coins.
mayorofawesometown Wrote:It might as well be a Euro.

This got me to thinking, and when I was in Germany a few years back, all the Euro coins didn't really bug me that much. I had figured that I would hate them, mainly due to not wanting to lug around a pocket full of coins, but they weren't too bad, actually.

If I knew I probably wasn't going to spend a lot of money when going out, I wouldn't take many coins with me, just a few bucks worth (which was only a few coins, not that much more than would be in my pocket normally back here in the states). If I knew I probably would be spending more money, I'd just bypass the coins, because I could just use my larger-value bills.
Germany, pre-Euro had 1, 2, 5, 10 DM coins. When I was there it was great to have the coins. You'd reach into your pocket thinking you only had a like 75 cents and then poof you had like 30 Marks.

Canada has the 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins and it wasn't that bad. You never really felt like you had a ton of change in your pocket.
Who uses cash anymore anyway? People who can't get bank accounts. eff 'em. It's the same ass hats who write checks at the grocery store...

it's2009getadebitcardalready...
jus' P Wrote:Who uses cash anymore anyway? People who can't get bank accounts. eff 'em. It's the same ass hats who write checks at the grocery store...

Studies show that people who use cash spend 18% less than those who use cards.

You're right about the check writers though......I want to scream when I am in line behind them.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:Who uses cash anymore anyway? People who can't get bank accounts. eff 'em. It's the same ass hats who write checks at the grocery store...

You're right about the check writers though......I want to scream when I am in line behind them.

I find it hard to trust most studies. You can find a poll or a study to support anything. Hell, listen to have the "surveys", they dissect on the show. If you are irresponsible with money, it doesn't really matter what form it's in.
Last weekend I was stuck in line behind a person writing a check for a purchase that was under $5. Not cool.
Admin Wrote:

63% of all stats are completely made up.
Fistor Wrote:
Admin Wrote:Studies show that people who use cash spend 18% less than those who use cards.

63% of all stats are completely made up.

[flash=350,287]http://www.youtube.com/v/Xv5AmTs0iPg&hl=en[/flash]