Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADD/ADHD
Okay, I am one of those with ADHD. But IMO, the characteristics that they related to ADD this morning were way off base. Maybe for some people with ADD, but also for some people without ADD. While I have learned to deal with my problem, I have never been very negative in my life. Most every day, I have a positive mental attitude and my glass is always half full. I also do not start fights to "get my brain working." I'm not saying that Zane doesn't have ADD or that there are no people with ADD that have the characteristics they attribute to it in the book. I am simply saying that both I and my oldest son have ADHD, one of my step sons has ADD, and you won't find negativity in any of our lives.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
ADHD = ADD in High Def
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Nope, but close.

ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I agree Queenie. I have ADD and take meds for it which have helped IMMENSLEY in my life, it's amazing. Wish I knew in high school...Would have had an easier time.

I am also a glass half full, very mellow person. I am not a drama queen and do not get into fights.
ADD = Attention Deficit.........ooh popsicles!
Rock Monster Wrote:ADHD = ADD in High Def

I laughed. Exalt.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
hotzester Wrote:ADD = Attention Deficit.........ooh popsicles!
It's jokes like that that make those of us with ADD look bad. Now where are the popsicles?
I never took any medicine, I just learned to deal with it. However, I still have a hard time concentrating with a lot of noise going on, especially with numbers. My son did take medicine (Adderall) that made it possible for him to graduate. My step son's mother wouldn't let him take the medicine and he struggled immensely in school. He also ended up going to a special one-on-one program our county offers, but should graduate in January. I am very proud of him, but I know it could have been so much easier for him. A lot of parents don't want their child labeled as "special and having to take medicine," when in fact, it is the parent that does not want to be labeled.
Dr. Stupid Wrote:
It's jokes like that that make those of us with ADD look bad. Now where are the popsicles?

Trust me, that's not what makes you look bad!
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
[Image: BLUE_ADHD_CLOSE.jpg]
I need one of those!
Quote:Trust me, that's not what makes you look bad!

Exalt.
Dr. Stupid Wrote:

If you really had ADD you wouldn't have remembered the popsicles. Now what were we talking about?
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I missed that segment and I'm pissed. I have ADHD, I was at work when it was on and I missed it due to a stupid meeting (don't ask what it was about, I wasn't really paying attention). I never got diagnosed with it until my adult life. I didn't get diagnosed because I never acted out in school. I knew the consequences awaiting for me at home. After getting kicked out of 2 colleges for academic probation, my parents suggested I go see a doctor to test me for ADD or ADHD and sure enough I have ADHD. I don't take anything for it because I'm not in any kind of schooling.
Quote:I have ADHD, I was at work when it was on and I missed it due to a stupid meeting (don't ask what it was about, I wasn't really paying attention).

1000 exalts. Best quote of the year.
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:I have ADHD, I was at work when it was on and I missed it due to a stupid meeting (don't ask what it was about, I wasn't really paying attention).

1000 exalts. Best quote of the year.

Frieda Feltcher? OH YAH!
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I think I have one or both of those. My husband tells me I have the attention span of a Hummingbird and I don't drink coffee or soda because I'm hyper enough without it.
sunshyne Wrote:I think I have one or both of those. My husband tells me I have the attention span of a Hummingbird and I don't drink coffee or soda because I'm hyper enough without it.

I don't think you can have both.... That would be like saying you have a short attention span and a short attention span....
yep thats me, just when you think my attention span is short, it gets shorter.
sunshyne Wrote:yep thats me, just when you think my attention span is short, it gets shorter.

I think you must have stopped paying attention halfway through reading my post... Wink
sunshyne Wrote:I think I have one or both of those. My husband tells me I have the attention span of a Hummingbird and I don't drink coffee or soda because I'm hyper enough without it.

I would say from your description that you ADHD, which is simply ADD with hyper thrown in. That's what I have.

Queenie Wrote:ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder
Quote:I think you must have stopped paying attention halfway through reading my post...

Maybe she got distracted at the ATM Machine trying to retreive her PIN Number.
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:I think you must have stopped paying attention halfway through reading my post...

Maybe she got distracted at the ATM Machine trying to retreive her PIN Number.

8-)
Go fuck yourself. Hard.

Caffeine has the opposite affect on people with ADHD. I can drink coffee right before I go to bed and it won't keep me awake. It's more likely the sugar in the pop that would make you more hyper.
I wish I'd heard the segment. I'm pretty sure I have ADD because college was so difficult for me. I don't want to take the meds, I just want to know there's an option for me if I ever really need to study hard again.
Quote:Caffeine has the opposite affect on people with ADHD. I can drink coffee right before I go to bed and it won't keep me awake.

Is that true? I've often wondered if I have ADHD, but I've never bothered to get it checked out. And up until recently, coffee has never had any effect on me. It wasn't until the last year or two that I started to notice that caffeine could be energizing me. Now I've gotta look into it!
Yeah it's true. My dad is ADHD and drinks a few pots a day, it has no effect on him. My cousin is also ADHD and it doesn't help him any either. Don't let that be your only way of testing for ADHD though. If you truly think you have it, go see a doctor. Another way you can tell is to see if you are constantly moving. For instance, I'm constantly tapping my toes, or bouncing my knee, or drumming on a table. That's a good sign you have ADHD.
Yeah while I was sitting here at work I took a few online tests (since it's what I have access to at the moment.) The first one said if you score indicated "a strong tendency toward ADHD" and the other one said I "likely have ADD", then it broke it into sub-types of ADD and there were about six of 'em. Sweet.

And I also tap my feet or drum my hands constantly. I'd never given it much thought until it was a question on one of the tests. ha. Funny.
When my son was tested, you had to been seen by a psychiatrist to be diagnosed, and then go to your regular MD to get the medicine (psychiatrists could not prescribe the medicine necessary). It may be different today.

As I stated in an earlier post, I have ADHD. I also have RLS (restless leg syndrome). I constantly move my feet and legs. It is more dominant when I sit for a while or I
I think you mean he was diagnosed by a Psychologist, Queenie. Psychiatrists are MD's and can prescribe medications. Psychologists can't.
hotzester Wrote:I think you mean he was diagnosed by a Psychologist, Queenie. Psychiatrists are MD's and can prescribe medications. Psychologists can't.

DAMMIT, I meant to check that before I posted it, but I got distracted (imagine that!). I couldn't remember if it was the I or the O. My son is now 22 and he was diagnosed when he was 9, so it's been a few years. Thanks for clearing that up though, really. Like I said, it took me 10 minutes to finish that post, re-read it, edit, re-edit, etc. My ADHD definitely takes a toll on my posts at times. Especially first thing in the morning.
No worries. After all the times you've posted stuff that I've benefitted from, the least I can do is watch yer back for ya!
I got diagnosed by a counselor. Essentially a psychiatrist. I then had my doctor call him and he got me a prescription for Adderall, but I stopped taking it because it wasn't benefiting me and it made me feel weird. I'd stare at stuff and it just wasn't beneficial to me. Another way to know you have ADHD is to think back on how many times people tell you to do stuff and you don't remember it, or you say, "Sorry I forgot." If you do that a lot, you most likely have ADHD. My wife constantly tells me, "You don't have to do it right now, but later could you..." I just tell her I better do it now instead of waiting until later because I will forget. Also when I get something I need to do in my head, I get up and do it right away and she's always asking, "Do you have to do that now?" To which I always reply, "Yes." I'm sure medications could help with all of that, but I'd just rather do things right away.
Does anybody remember the name of the book that brought on this topic?
The name of the book is "Change your brain, change your life".
http://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Brain-...0812929985

I fit about 99% of the list, which makes sense, considering that I have family and extended family that are diagnosed ADD. I've tossed around the idea of meds, but I don't think a doctor would believe me, because I appear that I'm a normal focusing person. I just act out in front of family, friends, and my fiance (and online message boards). Maybe I should get that book and see if I can figure out how to actually complete work and get organized.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
i got diagnosed as a kid.....hated the medicine and my parents didn't make me take it. They hated me being a zombie. They wanted me to have a life. Some medicines don't work on some people.