Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grape Lady Family Guy
First time poster long time Lurker :Smile

Anyone watch family Sunday night?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/44527/family-g...s-p1-so-i0

About 11 minutes in there is a little stint on the grape lady incident.
yeah I saw that it was pretty funny. Seth MacFarlane is having fun with the internet these days. Check out www. sethcomedy.com for some moderately funny online cartoon sketches.
That was great!!!
The FAMILY GUY version was funny, but I don't see any humor in Melissa Sanders' accident. She broke something like five ribs and punctured a lung. I just can't bring myself to laugh at that.
buzzkill
Don't get me wrong - I'll be right there with everyone else laughing at something like the guy who dove off the bow of that boat. Falls are hilarious. And even her FALL was funny - but the sounds of someone injured or hurting just don't entertain me.

It's sorta like the Jeff Conaway stuff they play. I don't find it funny at all. And it really surprises me that Zane, a recovering addict himself, would find any entertainment value in someone else's recovery pain.
I'm not criticizing you, but I think one of things they try to do is remove themselves from the situation and look at it from a purely comedic standpoint. For example, with the Conaway stuff, they remove themselves from what he's going through and think, "if a guy was crying like this, that would be funny." Or the grape lady, I would say that they just think the sounds she made were funny.
That was so funny. I cracked up laughing during the show. I knew to expect it too.
Quote:I'm not criticizing you, but I think one of things they try to do is remove themselves from the situation and look at it from a purely comedic standpoint. For example, with the Conaway stuff, they remove themselves from what he's going through and think, "if a guy was crying like this, that would be funny." Or the grape lady, I would say that they just think the sounds she made were funny.

Understood (and well explained, btw)....I guess I just can't remove myself from situations, because I've been in Grape Lady-esque pain, and I don't want to think about people laughing at it.

Like I said - people falling and not getting injured? One of the funniest f'ing things I've ever seen. Even minor injuries can be pretty funny. But broken bones and punctured lungs just don't do it for me.
I think people doing stupid stuff, or not using their head, and getting slightly hurt because of it is funny. "if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough". I've broken ribs before and can say its not fun at all and takes forever to heal, but I won't say I wasn't doing something stupid when I did it either. This particular event, while as tramatic as it might have been for her, the sounds she makes are funny. Like the woman with the internal decapitation. The fact that she was internally decapitated is NOT funny, but her voice is. The fact that the walking on sunshyne chick is wrecking her brain by inhaling the canned air is NOT funny, but when she says "walking on sunshine" it is, especially when the guys put it to the music.
But see, Walking on Sunshine lady did that to herself, intentionally. Grape Lady and internal decapitation lady both suffered injuries as the result of an accident. To some extent I even see Jeff Conaway in the "self inflicted" category, but I still sorta give him a pass because he's going through his pain in an attempt to heal.
hotzester Wrote:But see, Walking on Sunshine lady did that to herself, intentionally. Grape Lady and internal decapitation lady both suffered injuries as the result of an accident. To some extent I even see Jeff Conaway in the "self inflicted" category, but I still sorta give him a pass because he's going through his pain in an attempt to heal.

so what's your stance on anonymous faceplanting bmx guy?
so you don't think the internal decapitation lady sounds funny?
I don't think he's saying that she doesn't sound funny. I think he's saying that he doesn't find it funny because of the situation surrounding it.
hotzester Wrote:The FAMILY GUY version was funny, but I don't see any humor in Melissa Sanders' accident. She broke something like five ribs and punctured a lung. I just can't bring myself to laugh at that.

great. Here we go again with the "personal injuries or embarrassments aren't funny stuff" again.

IF they talk about it, make fun of and/or bring up the story on the show, it's subject to ridicule. Obviously we are all different people, with slightly different senses of humor.

My daughter lost an eye. Do I think eye injury jokes are particularly funny? No. Am I going to send hate email to the show or cry on the message board? No. I turn it off for a while.

Everything is subject, nothing is sacred, that's why we listen.
[drop]waaa . . . i'm sad about stuff![/drop]
it didn't really work for me. i had already seen and heard the real grape lady so many times that it was old. i like it when they somehow spin internet videos into a new joke. or it shows up unexpectedly, but in a fitting way. they might as well have said, "and now here's stewie doing the grape lady. laugh at it."

meh. prob just me.
jus' P Wrote:
hotzester Wrote:The FAMILY GUY version was funny, but I don't see any humor in Melissa Sanders' accident. She broke something like five ribs and punctured a lung. I just can't bring myself to laugh at that.

great. Here we go again with the "personal injuries or embarrassments aren't funny stuff" again.

IF they talk about it, make fun of and/or bring up the story on the show, it's subject to ridicule. Obviously we are all different people, with slightly different senses of humor.

My daughter lost an eye. Do I think eye injury jokes are particularly funny? No. Am I going to send hate email to the show or cry on the message board? No. I turn it off for a while.

Last sentence IS why we listen!!
You can't really lump my statement into the "personal injuries or embarrassments" category, since I specifically said I can't laugh at injuries, but someone falling is funny. I thought I'd made it pretty clear that someone falling is funny, but laughing at the sounds that someone makes when they're hurt just doesn't do it for me.

Second, I didn't come crying to the message board - this is a thread discussing the Family Guy drop, and I joined the conversation (as eloquently as always, I might add), explaining how I think the FG clip WAS funny, but how Grape Lady doesn't do it for me.

Sorry if I didn't use small enough words.
hotzester Wrote:You can't really lump my statement into the "personal injuries or embarrassments" category, since I specifically said I can't laugh at injuries, but someone falling is funny. I thought I'd made it pretty clear that someone falling is funny, but laughing at the sounds that someone makes when they're hurt just doesn't do it for me.

Second, I didn't come crying to the message board - this is a thread discussing the Family Guy drop, and I joined the conversation (as eloquently as always, I might add), explaining how I think the FG clip WAS funny, but how Grape Lady doesn't do it for me.

Sorry if I didn't use small enough words.

I wasn't singling you out mr. hotzester. Not everybody thinks everything is funny. ( that would be boring if we all thought the same)

I didn't even see the FG version of grape lady.

and thanks for dumbing it down for us 'tards...
chlietoris63 Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:Everything is subject, nothing is sacred, that's why we listen.

Really?
chlietoris63 Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:great. Here we go again with the "personal injuries or embarrassments aren't funny stuff" again.

Thanks! Here I had been, for the past few years, wondering why it is I listen to this show. Now I have my answer.
It was pretty good.

I think this is inaccurate. In poking around the net, I've seen people repeat this, but many people, including those working at the vineyard, refute it and say that she was OK. She got the wind knocked out of her and a severely bruised ego, but nothing more.
There are conflicting reports about her injuries, based largely on the fact that she apparently disappeared. (Can't say I blame her.) Regardless, she's obviously in pain. The fall was funny, the sound was painful.
Everything is funny. I can make fun of having part of my lung taken out, before they put me out, while I was recovering. It's not like we are laughing at her pain, we are laughing at how she got it. Grow a backbone, I'll spare some of mine.
lokizilla Wrote:Everything is funny. I can make fun of having part of my lung taken out, before they put me out, while I was recovering. It's not like we are laughing at her pain, we are laughing at how she got it. Grow a backbone, I'll spare some of mine.

8-) we should be friends....
It's funny because she put herself in that situation.
What do you think is going to happen when you stand on a poorly built "deck" and stomp around in wet, slippery grapes and try to show off for the camera? I'd of said no thanks but I'll watch you do it.
I'm the clumsiest person around...I've actually fallen UP the stairs...twice...in high school. Whenever I see someone fall, I laugh. It's funny. I laughed at myself, bruised knees and all.
your momma Wrote:
lokizilla Wrote:Everything is funny. I can make fun of having part of my lung taken out, before they put me out, while I was recovering. It's not like we are laughing at her pain, we are laughing at how she got it. Grow a backbone, I'll spare some of mine.

8-) we should be friends....
It's funny because she put herself in that situation.
What do you think is going to happen when you stand on a poorly built "deck" and stomp around in wet, slippery grapes and try to show off for the camera? I'd of said no thanks but I'll watch you do it.
I'm the clumsiest person around...I've actually fallen UP the stairs...twice...in high school. Whenever I see someone fall, I laugh. It's funny. I laughed at myself, bruised knees and all.

I've fallen up the stairs, down the stairs, tripped in my house, before anything was moved into it. I've fallen out of my chair at work in front of everyone, my butt hurt like all get out, but as soon as I hit, I was laughing....*note to self, don't try to get a pen out from someone else's desk by grabbing and reaching with your toes...**** I do agree.
Grape Lady would've never fallen if she hadn't cheated! Also, she declined to face the safety rail which is how the contest is normally done so that they can hold on to it. Finally, she wouldn't have had to disappear if she would learn to laugh at herself, and embrace her failure.