Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Processors
Well maybe this doesn't really belong in this forum but whatever.

I want to get a new laptop and don't know the first thing about processors. I'm looking at a Dell Inspiron or XPS with at least 3000MB RAM and at least a 120GB hard drive. My choices in processors are Intel Pentium Dual Core - 2000, Intel Pentium Dual Core - 1860, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2000, AMD Turion 64 Dual Core - 2000, AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core - 1900, among a few others. I don't do much on my laptop, just normal things like music and pictures and Internet. And I may want to install a PC game or two. I just want my new laptop to be fast and obsolescence-proof (at least for a few years).

Are any of these significantly better than others, or are they all pretty comparable? Thanks!
That's what she said.
Processors don't necessarily make the laptop, there's a bunch of other features to think about. Now, since you said you aren't doing anything particularly special with the laptop, you can probably get away with a "lower end" laptop.

Honestly, with just the information that you've given me, I'd say any of these processors are fine. The first three things that I look at in a laptop are, in order,

1) RAM
2) Graphics Card
3) Processor/Peripherals (hard drives, DVD drives, ect.)

I would probably go with the Turion first, then the Athalon, then the Intel 2000 Core 2, and any of the other ones last. (I'm a little partial to AMD processors, but honestly, they're both fine.)

I'd honestly up your RAM to 4 Gigs, considering you're probably getting Vista with this machine.

Are you building this laptop online, or is it a store ad?

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help. :-)
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Thanks for the input. I will definitely consider upping the RAM to 4GB as I'll of course be getting Vista, and the speed of my current computer is my primary complaint. I'm searching the Dell outlet and just waiting for a laptop to be posted that matches my specs exactly, I'm in no rush. If something comes up and it is urgent that I get a new computer now, I will be building it myself. I'm not about to take a closeout price on a crappy computer. Anywho, thanks!
That's what she said.
What are your specs? I constantly scour the 'net for good deals, and I might be able to offer some suggestions. Are you dead set on a Dell?
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
www.dealnews.com for all kinds of deals.

http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/39.html - computers
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
I've only ever had Dell computers, so I'd just be afraid to go elsewhere. But if you tell me I'm being silly and there are other great computers I should consider, I'm open-minded! Right now I have a Dell D610 laptop that I got when I started college in 2005. The current RAM capacity is 512Mb, the hard drive is only 40 gigs, and I'm running Vista. My computer has seen a lot of wear and tear, it's had water spilled on it and gone through two batteries. So the way I see it is it's only a matter of time before this baby dies for good. Like I said I really only use my computer for music (iTunes), pictures, AIM, and the Internet. I've tried putting PC games on my computer but they don't work! No wonder.

I just want a computer that is going to run quickly and will hold all of my music and pictures. Also, having the ability to install a game would be nice :-). I'd like the screen to be at least 15" diagonal and the glossy finish is a bonus. Also I like the built-in webcam feature. Like I said I'd like to have this new computer for a while so it needs to be somewhat obsolescence-proof. Also, I'd like to spend under $500!

Soooo any suggestions?
That's what she said.
Jesus. How are you getting Vista to run on 512 megs?

Undecided

It's probably why nothing works.
That's what she said.
Thanks for the website, RM. I just found this on there.

http://dealnews.com/HP-Pavilion-AMD-Dual...62935.html

Could be an option? Undecided
That's what she said.
Man, I guess. I hope you have Aero (the graphics enhancement) turned off...

Getting something decent under $500 is very possible. I'd recommend, in addition to the site that Rock Monster has posted:

www.slickdeals.net
www.dealhack.com
www.buxr.com

And, http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0 for laptop reviews, in case you wanted to see what other people thought of them.

You said also that you were looking at the Dell outlet. Keep doing that, you can get some great deals on refubished laptops that have the same warranties as brand new ones, as you're probably seeing.

I honestly don't know what company to choose, because I haven't dealt much with customer service with these companies. Back in the day, HP and Dell were fantastic. My finacee had some (read: huge) issues with an extended warranty he got for a HP laptop. Maybe some other people have tech support insights?

Allyson Wrote:Thanks for the website, RM. I just found this on there.

Damn, that's nice. How far would you be driving to get it?

0rz0ski Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:Thanks for the website, RM. I just found this on there.

Damn, that's nice. How far would you be driving to get it?

Well there are Office Depots all over NJ but when I try to add it to my cart it tells me that it's not available at my location (or any location I've tried) and to try again later. It seems like a good deal so maybe I'll try calling them after work, or seeing if there are comparable deals elsewhere.
That's what she said.
It looks like it's backordered. I don't know what that will do to the discount.

Ask yourself these questions:
1) It's a 7.7 pound laptop. Do you want it that heavy?
2) The graphics card has shared memory, which means that you technically have 3 gigs for processing, and 1 gig for memory. Are you okay with that? (you probably will be.)
3) Can you afford to pay for the whole thing? Mail in rebates take at least 8 weeks to get back to you.
4) Microsoft Office isn't installed. Are you okay with that?

want a Vaio? i just bought it about a month ago but a friend of mine gave me a Macbook as my Christmas gift way early so now it's in a drawer smelling of mothballs.
Jo Wrote:want a Vaio? i just bought it about a month ago but a friend of mine gave me a Macbook as my Christmas gift way early so now it's in a drawer smelling of mothballs.

you shouldn't store it with your granny panties
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Is it one of those new white Vaios?

0rz0ski Wrote:It looks like it's backordered. I don't know what that will do to the discount.

I just spoke with them and they said that I would just have to try again in 5-7 days (I guess after they restock their inventories). The only discount I'd miss out on is the $60 rebate which ends this Saturday, but $550 for this computer still might be a good deal. I may try to call the individual stores later today.
That's what she said.
Jo Wrote:want a Vaio? i just bought it about a month ago but a friend of mine gave me a Macbook as my Christmas gift way early so now it's in a drawer smelling of mothballs.

A friend bought you a Mac? A $2000 computer for a friend?!? Son of a bitch.... I need new friends! :-[
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:

A friend bought you a Mac? A $2000 computer for a friend?!? Son of a bitch.... I need new friends! :-[

my friend uses my lawn mower and gas and doesn't fill it up...he also borrows $10 to get to work and doesn't pay me back.

Maybe Becky doesn't have awesome friends...maybe becky is just a mooch
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Rock Monster Wrote:

For serious, where can I get me a fancy new friend?
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:A friend bought you a Mac? A $2000 computer for a friend?!? Son of a bitch.... I need new friends! :-[

For serious, where can I get me a fancy new friend?

I hear Rock Monster is available.
burnking Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:For serious, where can I get me a fancy new friend?

I hear Rock Monster is available.

Only if I can be on the mooch end, like Becky.
Quote:For serious, where can I get me a fancy new friend?

Pick Me, Pick Me!!!!!!

ok, I'm not very fancy, I don't have any money and I damn sure won't pick you up at the airport...guess I'm not good friend material..
Rock Monster Wrote:

friend, kinda boyfriend.

to OrzO, it's a VGN-NS130E/S.
a kinda boyfriend bought you a $2k computer.

my wife got kids....they were cheap and fun to make. I aim to please
Jo Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:A friend bought you a Mac? A $2000 computer for a friend?!? Son of a bitch.... I need new friends! :-[

friend, kinda boyfriend.

to OrzO, it's a VGN-NS130E/S.

You two looking for a threesome sometime? I could use some expensive gifts.
If you have someone who is buying you a macbook, I think they want a little more than friends...

Yeah you should give it to her. The laptop I mean.
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
Just to let yous know I think I'm going to get a refurb Dell Inspiron with AMD Athlon processor, 4GB RAM, 250GB hard drive. I also have a 15% off coupon for Dell Outlet laptops that expires tomorrow, so I think I'll wait til the end of the day tomorrow to see if the prices drop at all (currently $499 before discount).

If any of you are interested in that 15% off laptops (or 20% off desktops) from the Dell Outlet, visit this website: http://www.e-junkie.com/coupon and they'll email it to you instantly and free. Good deal!
That's what she said.
Sweet. I hope you enjoy it. Wish I had a little extra cash for a new(er) laptop.

Did you get it?
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!