Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NHL Winter Classic commercial
So I just heard the NHL Winter Classic commercial on WGRD talking about the Red Wings vs. Blackhawks game and I'm kind of annoyed by it. I originally laughed when I heard it but the more I thought about it, the more I thought the guys dropped the ball.

The part that was funny but pissed me off at the same time was when Zane says,

"The Red Wings': Marian Hossa, Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk just to name a few of the stars, and for the Blackhawks.....that one guy....and Steve something. They suck!"

You can also hear Free Beer say "Yea they do" even though we all know he knows jack **** about hockey.

And if you do know anything about hockey, as Zane does, then you should know who Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are. These guys are rising stars for the Blackhawks. Kane won the NHL's Rookie of the Year last season while Toews finished second. They've quickly become the faces of the franchise.

As if it wasn't bad enough that they chose not to name any Blackhawks, citing the fact that they suck was just in bad taste. I know they're not an awesome team like the Wings but it's not like they're the Detroit Lions of the NHL. In fact, the Hawks give Detroit fits every time they play each other.

I don't want to sound like a crybaby Blackhawks fan who's just jealous that the Wings are so dominant, in fact Marian Hossa has been one of my favorite players for the past few years now. I just think if they're going to promote the game, it's stupid to act like it's not a dream matchup of two good original six teams playing at Wrigley Field.
It was a joke. Get over it.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
I know it was a joke and I laughed at first but I had reasons for it pissing me off.

I'm going to go ahead and insert "WAAHHHH I'm sad about stuff" before someone else does.
I think the joke was aimed at the average Red Wing fan who has the sticker on the back of their car but no knowledge of any player outside of the Red Wings.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:I think the joke was aimed at the average Red Wing fan who has the sticker on the back of their car but no knowledge of any player outside of the Red Wings.

I took it as they have no good players....but I am one of the above Wings fans so.....yeah (minus the stickers)
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
It would have been funny if he said the same thing about Pittsburgh, or Washington. I'm sure they all, well Zane, knows they aren't a terrible team. When you're promoting the Satnley Cup Champions, you're allowed to say that other terams suck.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
I hear you on this siggy. My initial reaction to the commercial when I heard it earlier today was vague annoyance at the "Blackhawks suck" comment.

As said it is likely directed at the casual fan, but it was disappointing that FBHW, who usually know what they're talking about for the most part when it comes to hockey, dropped the ball.

It's the same type of thing happening all over.. the local major newspaper snubs hockey in general, ESPN doesn't even show highlights unless it's at the very end of Sportscenter's broadcast... etc.

Hell I'd love to see Taves and Kane in person. I mean Toews.
I forgot to add this to my post initially.

If you've never heard of Toews, this was a goal he scored last year as a 19 year old. Now keep in mind, these are Avalanche announcers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM
siggy778 Wrote:I forgot to add this to my post initially.

If you've never heard of Toews, this was a goal he scored last year as a 19 year old. Now keep in mind, these are Avalanche announcers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM

Nice!
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:I think the joke was aimed at the average Red Wing fan who has the sticker on the back of their car but no knowledge of any player outside of the Red Wings.

Exactly. The spot could also have said "You can join fans of the Red Wings who have been there before 1998 like... well, there's.... uhhh....."

Wink
I was a little annoyed by that as well. Although I'm a NHL freak fan and follow every team and compare who I think has the best odds against the Wings. The Wings can dominate Chicago in most cases, but the commercial makes it sound like it's gonna be a cake walk. I hope it is, but I have a feeling it won't. It's gonna be a tough game for both teams. Toews and Kane are good, but you can't forget Khabibulin in the net. He's always been a good goalie.
Len Wrote:

Exactly. The spot could also have said "You can join fans of the Red Wings who have been there before 1998 like... well, there's.... uhhh....."

Wink

hey now. I've at least been a die hard fan since they drafted Yzerman in 1983 to end the dead wings era. when it was Cicarelli and not Holmstrom. When it was Probert not uh.. McCarty? Downey? We'll go with Downey. Way back when they still had lockouts even! I mean there hasn't been one of those since 94... I mean 04? Back when Yzerman was as scorer and not the best two way center and captain to ever live. Back when Gretzky still made plays to Kurri. Before Fedorov came to the wings and threw his career away for an extra million. Back when Bure was an up and coming star and not a "I s'd too many d's on my knees and screwed both of them up so bad I can't play" Back when Selanne scored like 70 goals in his rookie year. WAY back when Patrick Roy and his kids weren't hated by most people who follow not just the NHL. Back when LaPointe didn't take stupid penalties every shift. Oh wait he always did that. If you're still reading this I pity you.
cuppie Wrote:The Wings can dominate Chicago in most cases, but the commercial makes it sound like it's gonna be a cake walk.

You do realize that in the last 8 meetings between the two teams, they've each won 4 games...