Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you Believe in God
Kate Wrote:I just think of religion as a cult.

From Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate
Jo Wrote:
cuppie Wrote:Death and disease were never in God's original plans for humanity.

Gods plan:

1. make people in my likeness, giving them free will and temptation.

2. hope for the best.

Could God dictate everything that happens...Yes, but what would be the point. I could go out into my driveway and play a pretend basketball game by myself where I control everything that happens. Although this would ensure that nothing bad would happen I'd rather be part of the real thing. However this means that there is also the opportunity for loss and disappointment. Love is a choice and without free will there could be no love because everything would be dictated for us. I for one am glad to serve a God who loves even if it does mean that bad things as well as good things can happen. I'll take those losses in order to experience the final victory
I've said I was done posting on this thread but, one more time I guess. I agree with fbhw17. If you are a parent that truly loves their child do you keep them sheltered from everything the big bad mean world has to offer or do you let them create their own destiny. You will always be there for direction and a shoulder to cry on but ultimately you will have to turn them loose so they create their own path. This is how God views us. Sure he could create a perfect Utopia where nothing bad happens, he is visible with our eyes, we automatically are programmed to worship him, etc, etc. But isn't it more fulfilling to have someone recognize you as Creator and King because they chose to and not because they were forced to.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
What is the final victory? How do we know for sure when we die we go to heaven to be with Him? Being raised Catholic, we had the fear of God put into us...he's always watching, he's always listening...how do we know for sure? How do some of those priests justify what they did to those children (remember that controversy?) My hubby says it's a crock of shit cause they can do whatever they want and go to confession and get pardoned for their sins with a few Hail Marys and two of The Lords Prayer...
What do you tell the parents of a 2 month old that has died of SIDS...he's fulfilled his destiny and purpose and now has to go home to God, sorry you didn't get more time...what about people that are desperate for a child, praying all the time, begging God for one and it never happens? Why? I wasn't even trying to have a second one and whamo...here she is. Hell I wasn't even trying to have the first one...don't get me wrong, love my kids, wouldn't trade them for the world, but how come I got 2 beautiful, healthy children and some people can't even have 1? I mess up all the time with them...I get frustrated and loud and I don't like spanking them but I do it...so what's gonna happen to me when I die? Am I going to hell cause I didn't fully appreciate his gifts to me? I never asked to be pregnant, I was even taking the pill and still.....All I know for sure is that I try to live a good and decent life, I try to be nice to everyone, I don't Eff around on my husband, I don't steal or cheat...but I do cuss like a sailor...so I can only hope that whatever happens to me in the end it's all worth it.
Jiggy Wrote:If you are a parent that truly loves their child do you keep them sheltered from everything the big bad mean world has to offer or do you let them create their own destiny. You will always be there for direction and a shoulder to cry on but ultimately you will have to turn them loose so they create their own path. This is how God views us.

There are some people who are wise enough to see this. There were people in bible times wise enough to see this also. My point is that when the bible was written, those writings included this parental attitude. My question is was it because that was how God actually viewed us or was it because it was the way that the writers assumed God viewed us.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
your momma Wrote:What is the final victory? How do we know for sure when we die we go to heaven to be with Him? Being raised Catholic, we had the fear of God put into us...he's always watching, he's always listening...how do we know for sure? How do some of those priests justify what they did to those children (remember that controversy?) My hubby says it's a crock of shit cause they can do whatever they want and go to confession and get pardoned for their sins with a few Hail Marys and two of The Lords Prayer...
What do you tell the parents of a 2 month old that has died of SIDS...he's fulfilled his destiny and purpose and now has to go home to God, sorry you didn't get more time...what about people that are desperate for a child, praying all the time, begging God for one and it never happens? Why? I wasn't even trying to have a second one and whamo...here she is. Hell I wasn't even trying to have the first one...don't get me wrong, love my kids, wouldn't trade them for the world, but how come I got 2 beautiful, healthy children and some people can't even have 1? I mess up all the time with them...I get frustrated and loud and I don't like spanking them but I do it...so what's gonna happen to me when I die? Am I going to hell cause I didn't fully appreciate his gifts to me? I never asked to be pregnant, I was even taking the pill and still.....All I know for sure is that I try to live a good and decent life, I try to be nice to everyone, I don't eff around on my husband, I don't steal or cheat...but I do cuss like a sailor...so I can only hope that whatever happens to me in the end it's all worth it.

I have no idea what the answer to those questions is and I don't pretend to. I fully believe in God and Jesus as his son and while I believe that God is all powerful and has the ability to do so, I don't believe he dictates all events on earth. Once again, that would mean that there was no such thing as free will. Therefore I don't believe that questions such as these are any indication of a lack of God. And even if these are God's decisions who would we be to question His judgment. It would not be any exaggeration to compare our relationship with God to that of a child and parent. As a parent I know that I must do some things that my children don't understand, but since I have more experience and a greater perspective than they do I know it is for their good. In their eyes it is unfair and hurting them but in the long run it benefits them. Although I don't know why some things happen they way they do, I am not arrogant enough to think that I have the understanding of God (if in fact He is dictating the events that happen).

Of course if you are not a Christian - and I respect your right to not be one - then you may disagree with all of this. I realize that this is completely written from a Christian perspective. I am not trying to convert anyone with this post only explain my understanding of Christianity from a Christian perspective.
No. But I think it's a pretty idea. But living in the South, in a very, very small town (I went to a K-12 school in a town called McEwen and graduated in a class of 55), people tended to try to choke you with religion. So I hate church. And the Bible just pisses me off (either you take it literally or you don't, you can't have it both ways). Plus, if you take Genesis literally, it's kinda disgusting. Plus they left Lilith out. And she had potential to become my hero.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
I believe completely in God, but I feel bad for the people who don't. I have no prob with people of different religions or different Gods like Alah n Zeus n all them, at least they believe in one.

Evolution....I don agree with it, adaptation through tiny changes over time doesn't mean apes turned into humans, humans don't fit in the balance of this planet which means we aren't natural to this place.
Anyway I hope the people who don't believe will get some sort of divine inspirationg or sign, I've heard it happens.
shaggytheclown17 Wrote:I believe completely in God, but I feel bad for the people who don't. I have no prob with people of different religions or different Gods like Alah n Zeus n all them, at least they believe in one.

Evolution....I don agree with it, adaptation through tiny changes over time doesn't mean apes turned into humans, humans don't fit in the balance of this planet which means we aren't natural to this place.
Anyway I hope the people who don't believe will get some sort of divine inspirationg or sign, I've heard it happens.

I don't really follow, how don't humans fit the balance of this planet?
It's only been the last hundred years or so that we've not "fit in the balance of this planet". It's called the advent of technology.
Krystal Wrote:It's only been the last hundred years or so that we've not "fit in the balance of this planet". It's called the advent of technology.
People have been abusing the planet since man spawned from ape. From fire to bio and chemical hazards. The only difference now, is the number of people.
I feel that such huge claims like religion UFOs and things you need huge evidence. I have yet to see any actual proof of any god, jesus, nature spirits, zeus or whatever you have. Yes a theory can be made, but such things as god destroying a whole group of towns because of deviant behavior seems a little far fetched to me. The concept of some intelligent being manipulating events and such just seems too weird. Along with the fact that this being suddenly decided not to be active anymore. Yes science has a lot of unexplained theory but the idea of parallel universes colliding and the energy of that creates our universe seems a lot more reasonable than a being just setting down and deciding out of now where to create things just for the hell of it. Now the whole idea of the big bang can be completely wrong and anyone who follows science knows this, but with religion you are told one thing is the truth and that is it, but as things are discovered that one truth changes but it is acted as if the belief was the right choice from the beginning.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
What do atheists say when they're having an orgasm?
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:What do atheists say when they're having an orgasm?
YHATZEE!!!!!
Philly Mike Wrote:
YHATZEE!!!!!
PLUMPY!!!

i vote that this thread continues in this direction and never looks back.

BINGO!
dingdongyo Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:YHATZEE!!!!!
PLUMPY!!!

As an atheist, i agree on both points made in the post.
providencecrow Wrote:
dingdongyo Wrote:PLUMPY!!!

As an atheist, i agree on both points made in the post.
yes, and other acceptable terms would be.

SHAZAM!!!
BAM!!!
*rebel yell*
Oh my Darwin.
TOUCHDOWN!!!
KABOOBIE!!
or just the standard grunting.
I have a story that relates to the turn this thread took but I don't think any of you want to know that much about me.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:I have a story that relates to the turn this thread took but I don't think any of you want to know that much about me.

Would it be funny?? I call show code.
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Mad Dog Wrote:
Admin Wrote:I have a story that relates to the turn this thread took but I don't think any of you want to know that much about me.

Would it be funny?? I call show code.

yeah i would have to say this falls under board code.
Allright, long story short. I worked with a guy who would yell "YUP!" at the top of his lungs a lot. It was really loud because he used to be a metal singer who could project his voice well.

My roommate and I decided that the next time we were with out girlfriends that we would yell "YUP!" at the top of our lungs when "it" happened.

A) It was actually rather difficult to do
B) It was hilarious to listen to from the other room
C) Neither of our girlfriends knew what the eff was happening.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
<<Atheist all the way!
Agnostic here. I'm like the Hotwings of religion -- I never clearly answer yes or no.

But in reality, it's not that simple for me. I'm not denying the existence of a higher power...I simply just DON'T KNOW.

Evolution also plays a huge factor in this for me. It's hard to deny evolution when it's all around us. Think back to the 1800s when humans were riding horses to get around. Now think of the early 1900s when the automobile was invented and commercialized.
Hell, think back to the 1980s when cell phones looked like this: [Image: 80s_brick_cell.jpg]

Nowadays, we have cameras and texting and all sorts of other things on our cellphones. Call it progress or advancement if you want, but that's all evolution is: progress.
Admin Wrote:Allright, long story short. I worked with a guy who would yell "YUP!" at the top of his lungs a lot. It was really loud because he used to be a metal singer who could project his voice well.

My roommate and I decided that the next time we were with out girlfriends that we would yell "YUP!" at the top of our lungs when "it" happened.

A) It was actually rather difficult to do
B) It was hilarious to listen to from the other room
C) Neither of our girlfriends knew what the eff was happening.
lol I bet they didn't stay with you guys long. Either that or they were reeeeeeeeeeaallly understanding.
Mark the Valet Wrote:Agnostic here. I'm like the Hotwings of religion -- I never clearly answer yes or no.

But in reality, it's not that simple for me. I'm not denying the existence of a higher power...I simply just DON'T KNOW.

Evolution also plays a huge factor in this for me. It's hard to deny evolution when it's all around us. Think back to the 1800s when humans were riding horses to get around. Now think of the early 1900s when the automobile was invented and commercialized.
Hell, think back to the 1980s when cell phones looked like this: [Image: 80s_brick_cell.jpg]

Nowadays, we have cameras and texting and all sorts of other things on our cellphones. Call it progress or advancement if you want, but that's all evolution is: progress.

I get your point, even though technological advancement isn't exactly a good example of evolution. Smile

A better example could be to look at people themselves. Used to be looooooong ago people actually used the wisdom teeth as we call them now, then we didn't need them so our skulls are as we have them now, in which those teeth become troublesome for us and we need them to be pulled. Now as I have found out from a dentist, some people aren't even growing wisdom teeth anymore. This is one of the most physically evident examples of evolution that we can actually see happening within recorded history, on top of it all within our species.
an even better example would be some of those tribal folks they dig out of the middle of Africa..... tell me they don't resemble Cro-magnum or Neanderthal man more than modern man.

and what about another race of people's fascination with clothes and fashion... It's because their people haven't been wearing clothes ( and still don't know how, IMO), for very long...

* which way does the visor (the thing that shields the eyes), go on a baseball cap?*
jus' P Wrote:an even better example would be some of those tribal folks they dig out of the middle of Africa..... tell me they don't resemble Cro-magnum or Neanderthal man more than modern man.

and what about another race of people's fascination with clothes and fashion... It's because their people haven't been wearing clothes ( and still don't know how, IMO), for very long...

* which way does the visor (the thing that shields the eyes), go on a baseball cap?*
hey now, I wear baseball caps backwards.
[Image: ear0874l.jpg]
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
jus' P Wrote:an even better example would be some of those tribal folks they dig out of the middle of Africa..... tell me they don't resemble Cro-magnum or Neanderthal man more than modern man.

Why you give a Eff which way someone wheres a hat is a better question.
speedbump Wrote:

Why you give a eff which way someone wheres a hat is a better question.

awwww, hit a little close to home?
People who wear their hats backwards or tilted are asking me to judge their general intelligence.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
jus' P Wrote:
speedbump Wrote:Why you give a eff which way someone wheres a hat is a better question.

awwww, hit a little close to home?

The only time I've ever worn a hat was when I played baseball.

Way to dodge the point of my post though, let me try again. Why do you care how someone wheres a hat?
Admin Wrote:People who wear their hats backwards or tilted are asking me to judge their general intelligence.

i wear my hat backwards sometimes, too.

oh... right. nevermind.
speedbump Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:awwww, hit a little close to home?

The only time I've ever worn a hat was when I played baseball.

Way to dodge the point of my post though, let me try again. Why do you care how someone wheres a hat?

the point being discussed was evolution. My offhand example was a reference to a culture and their interpretation of how clothes are worn and was poking fun. Me caring never entered the equation.

Feel free to breakdown all my posts and offer criticism at any time..
jus' P Wrote:the point being discussed was evolution. My offhand example was a reference to a culture and their interpretation of how clothes are worn and was poking fun. Me caring never entered the equation.

Feel free to breakdown all my posts and offer criticism at any time..

Quote:the point being discussed was evolution.

Does God endorse evolution?? I think not. Just ask Jimmy Swaggart

Quote:My offhand example

Almost 95% of all your "examples" are offhand Plungee

Quote:was a reference to a culture and their interpretation of how clothes are worn

The "hats backward" generation is very, very touchy about how people perceive their clothing style and think that everyone else is dumb by actually using the bills of there cap for what they were meant for.

Quote:and was poking fun.

Queenie must have took you seriously

Quote:Me caring never entered the equation.

Actually Plungee, You don't strike me as the type that gives two hoots in hell about how kids wear their ball caps
A wise man an idi0t once said.....

Mad Dog Wrote:Besides message board fights are funny if your not the one involved in them, and sometimes even if you are!!!
Big Grin
I always enjoyed the pagan gods of mythology... Whether they be Greek, Roman, Celtic, or Norse. Atleast when something bad happened you knew a god was pissed off at you and why. There was usually a reason people suffered, even if someone made it up.
imatoolhed Wrote:okay its something you know, feel deep in your soul (bcuz you have one right? if you believe in God) and trust has always been there.

is it something you can kinda believe in or is it all or nothing?

and what if you were raised to believe in God and evolution? can you?

so heres the deal. my wife was raised in a big christian family (her brother is the current interim pastor/ her grandma plays the piano/etc.) shes not pushy about or nothing. i mean she or any of them are zealots of it or nothing... just normal folk in a small town.
anyways my wife would like me to have a strong faith and just believe... which i do and always have (just never went to church, parents were hippies, have questions with the whole evo part...etc.)
anyways again... i have a lot of good things going on in my life in the last few years. which i do feel blessed about (kinda weird feeling blessed, but thats how i feel...blessed)
annd then... it snowed quite a bit yesterday and all i have is a crappy shovel and a long drive way(which really is a snow blower type of driveway). so i go to buy a new big shovel and all the good ones are sold out, yes i went to three places.
i don't get one, go back home shovel my deck and patio area with my crappy ass shovel. *shakes head at driveway* not doing that with this POS.
later that nite me and the wife and kid are eating dinner and hear the neighbor snow blowing his driveway and before you know hes in my driveway and asks if i could us this? hell yes i say and thanks. he says put it in your garage when your done i'll get it tomorrow, cool. cool i say.
so he comes over today and how it worked for me. awesome and thanks again. no problem he says. go ahead and keep in your garage bcuz i'm sure we'll both need it next time it snows... and it will and i know where it is, if it don't take up any space for you? hell no i say, no problem and thanks again.

soooooooooooo, i was just out there smoking and looked at my nice clean driveway and thought... God will provide. and believed it.

whew! that was long winded

Great story. Faith is key. If you believe in God and give yourself over to him fully, he does indeed work miracles. Although at times they might seem like just a small detail. But in the end you will understand. A true believer has a keen sight for these little details. The words of God will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the words. "What is impossible with men, is possible with God"

Just my opinion. Thank you for starting the thread. It is a great subject of discussion.